“AOK with me and my Smooth Fox” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 20%
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“AOK with me and my Smooth Fox”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Pros.
* Pet Friendly. No upcharge for pets, and they don't stick you in a dud room because you have a pet. Pets know the difference between a scuz hotel vs. upscale. They act more relaxed, it's true. My dog loved this place.
Location: Good location near city center.
Price: Nice accomodations, not overly priced.
Quiet: Well built, some outside noise from hall, but negligible.
Clean: Fresh, no ex cigarette room, or mildew smell.
Beds: Sleep number. soft pillows.
Registration: Fast, checked in quickly. Staff was polite, and friendly.

Cons:
Elevators extemely slow. (get some excercise, use the stairwells, much faster.)
No pharmacy or convenience store nearby ( don't forget toiletries, etc.. nothing nearby,
Hotel does not carry sample sizes of anything.

Summary: Those that ding this hotel as being dated, have a point, It is a bit dated.
However, it is clean, and the rooms are just fine. Modern, new lobby area.
I would highly recommend this hotel to business or vacationing guests.

Beds,

Room Tip: Get a room on floor 2-4. Park on top of ramp. Stairwell leads right out to ramp.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Anthony_Spears_GM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear SuperB2012,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Hotel for your lodging needs and for taking time to share your experience. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and it is how we know where we can improve. I am pleased to read you had an overall enjoyable stay. I do apologize for the elevator being temporarily out of service. As for the sample sizes of toiletries, we do have them at our front desk complimentary to our guests.

Again, thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Anthony Spears

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights with my parents this summer. Location is great, check in was fine. Problems began at the elevators. One of the two elevators was out of order several times during our stay leaving only one elevator for a 16 floor hotel. At times it would have been easier to use the stairs, but we weren't ready to climb 14 floors to our rooms.
We had MULTIPLE cleanliness issues over two days: wasn't fully clean (hair in tub, cola spills on surfaces, nuts on the floor) when we arrived and wasn't cleaned well after first night. If the beds were not made and the very thin TP roll wasn't folded with a neat point, I would think a maid hadn't been there at all. The maid must have had some huge blind spot.The front desk staff apologized when we noticed after check in, but amazing didn't send anyone up to fix it while we were out. I had to ask a second time and after finding more little nuggets of snack hiding under the desk and my parents found a large wad of dog hair (they may be a pet friendly hotel, but my father is allergic to dogs). After much frustration, I asked to talk to the manager in person. He listened politely, was sympathetic and resolved the entire situation quickly in a way that left us satisfied.

My parents and I have been traveling together to Duluth for 35+ years. I love the view and the Radisson's rotating restaurant on top, so we will stay here again the next time we are in Duluth. If we have similar problems, it will be the last.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Hotel is in a nice location, walking distance from the Canal park area full of restaurants and small shops.

The hotel common area is quite nice and the rooms were very comfortable with sleep number beds. We were in a second building across the walkway and could have upgraded to a lake view for $20 extra which we opted not to do.

We would stay here again without question.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Missoula, MT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

A busy hotel, that seems to overwhelm the staff a bit. On my arrival, there were 10 people lined up waiting to check-in and only one staff person available to help. At around 3pm the rooms weren't always ready, so a number of groups were also milling around the lobby wondering what to do. Then the airline staff arrived and that further confused things.

The room I got was fine, nothing special. It overlooked the back of the hotel and had security bars on the window (which could open). The air-conditioner was rattling and clanking and trying its best to keep up. The carpet had a few stains and there was a distinct cigarette smell in the bathroom even though this was a non-smoking room. Lots of plumbing noises from other rooms, too.

Located between the Duluth library and the County Courthouse, this is a reasonably well located downtown hotel. Lots of vacant storefronts in the immediate neighborhood, but a short walk to good eating and drinking options. (Try Pizza Luce, about five blocks away.) On the outside, it is clearly from another decade - and is now quite ugly. The parking situation is tight and can easily fill up. There's lots of signs warning you not to leave valuables in your vehicle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel itself is just fine and the location is great – walking distance from the lake. It seems the hotel is in the middle of renovations and started with the lobby – which they use for marketing. The lobby is ultra modern – very neat layout. However, when you go up to the hotel floors, it dates back a few decades. Our room was good in size, large enough for 4 people. This hotel has Sleep Number beds – This was exciting because of all the rave reviews for Sleep Number beds. I am not a fan – it was like sleeping on a air mattress with no support. The bathroom toilet sounds like a airplane taking off when flushed – we were all so nervous flushing in the middle of the night. TV is old school with a horrible connection – no DVD player to watch movies at night. Overall, this hotel is 2.5 out of 5. If they continue with the updates, I can assume it will be fabulous!

Oh, we also went up to the restaurant/ bar for jazz night. Only 8 places to sit – they had closed the rest of the restaurant. So, if you got there before the jazz music started, you have a great seat. Otherwise they send you downstairs to their other bar with no music or windows to view the lake.

The pool and hot tub are very disgusting – cloudy water in both and water was not hot in the hot tub. All I thought about was germs in the water. Ick!

Room Tip: Ask for a updated room - or a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Don't be fooled by the renovations in the lobby...the rooms are left-overs from the 90's. The pillows are flat as pancakes. Best towels around but watch out for the 4 inch cockroaches!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was trying to book a one night stay [Saturday], but could only book online if I booked Friday, as well. I scoured the site to see if a 2 night minimum stay was published anywhere, but to no avail, so I called the reservation line. The woman transferred me to the manager on duty at the front desk. He told me there was absolutely nothing he could do for and transferred me to the Asst. General Manger's [Lisa, I think] voicemail. I left her a message and asked for a call back and I haven't heard back. I also called customer service, but that call was forwarded to another department who also couldn't help me. They also gave me incorrect information on how to contact customer service.

We stay with the Radisson every time we go to Duluth, and the past couple of times, the customer service has definitely been lacking. But after this, I will definitely reconsider staying at the Radisson. I completely understand the 2 night minimum, but if it's not advertised/published and NO ONE is willing to help or at least respond, why not book with a hotel that values customer service and is willing to work with you?

Overall, I'm very disappointed with the service I received and will be looking at other hotels in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Anthony_Spears_GM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear MJensen719,

I have read your comments and must say I am very disappointed in the way my team handled your request. I can certainly understand how frustrating it must have been to be transferred around and never get your question answered or resolved. Please accept my apologies. I will review your comments with my team. More importantly, I want to see how I can take care of you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can see what we can do. Please call the hotel and ask for me. I look forward to speaking with you.

Anthony Spears

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!