“Nice place to stay. Rooms clean . Desk staff overall...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall

You added Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall to your Saves list
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 Cottonwood Avenue, Hwy 53 North & Hwy 194, Duluth, MN 55811   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Duluth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Deer River, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We used this property for an overnight shopping trip. There were several other guests with the same plan. Check in, & check out was quite satisfactory and the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable, though the bathroom was small for a "full figured" person like myself. There is no pool but the whirlpool was relaxing after a long day. We got a good nights sleep in a comfortable queen bed. The breakfast was above average with hot oatmeal and make your own waffles. There was an attendent on duty keeping everything shipshape. The property was very clean and well maintained. We will definately use this Days Inn again

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Clean, comfortable & friendly, great location. We don;t spend a lot of time in our room so we don't need any extras they don't have. The flowers in the entrance are lovely. We have occasionally stayed in a "fancier" place when we visit Duluth a few times a year, but this is our usual place & we really like it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

North America
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This is a very old property, and it shows, not only on the outside but on the inside as well. Staff was very solemn and had little enthusiasm for the job or interfacing with guests. Once in the room, I really felt like leaving and going somewhere else. This was nowhere near the quality for the price I paid. This hotel was almost double the cost of any of the others I stayed at on this trip and had much less value. Hotel was very outdated but seemed clean and we were here for a short stay so we decided to keep the reservation.

They offer popcorn and chocolate chip cookies in the lobby at various times in the afternoon. A nice touch but hardly makes up for the high cost of the room. Located directly across the street from the mall, there are many places to eat and shop nearby.

The pet policy is to possibly add charges to your account if someone complains about noise without contacting you first. Hmmm, how about calling me up or contacting me somehow before just adding costs to an already overpriced room? Yes, I do understand that some people do not have well behaved pets, but when they become a nuisance there should be a better process to follow than to tell the owner that you are just going to add charges to the bill without their knowledge or consent. I cannot count the number of times I have been in a room and had loud noise from slamming doors, heavy feet above, loud parties or drunk discussions down the hall. I know of no hotel that charges guests for being too loud. Just seems to be a poor way of handling a situation.

Breakfast was decent, had a good variety of selections and plenty of room. Staff needs to find a way to perk up a little and make customers feel more wanted, a property update would help as well. Maybe everyone just had a bad day, but I just did not feel welcomed on this stay and even though I had not major issues I would not return again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Darren W, General Manager at Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Thank you for your review, your feedback is very important to us. I'm very sorry that you were so unhappy with your recent stay. The friendliness of our staff is usually one of the most compimented parts of our guest experience and I am very sorry that you were unable to experience this during your stay.
I want to assure you that when there is an issue with a pet in a room that every effort is made to contact the guest prior to charging any additional fees and this is purely a last resort. We take a great deal of pride in being a pet friendly hotel and always do our best to treat our four legged guests as well as we treat our two legged ones. Our most important rule with any pets in our hotel is simply that they cannot be left alone in a room. This is just because pets, in a strange environment, may become stressed to the point of barking, thus disturbing other guests and even possibly damaging the room itself. I would simply like you to know that the only time that we have ever charged a guest beyond the standard $5.00 per night pet fee has been when a guest has deliberately gone against that rule and left their pet alone and we were unable to contact the guest and alert them to their pet's distress thus incurring either noise complaints or damage to the room. This is an unfortunate occurence but it does happen and that is why it is listed on our pet policy.
Once again I am very sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay but I do hope that it does not dissuade you from returning to our beautiful city in the future.

Been to Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!