“Great place for budget-minded traveler!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall

Save Saved
You added Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall to your Saves list
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 Cottonwood Avenue, Hwy 53 North & Hwy 194, Duluth, MN 55811   |
Ranked #11 of 31 hotels in Duluth
Geraldton, Canada
“Great place for budget-minded traveler!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is the first time I've stayed at this Days Inn location since they've gone smoke-free. First, I have to commend them for this decision as I wouldn't have stayed if there were still smoking rooms. We got a good deal from the visitduluth.com website and stayed for two nights in April.

Rooms were small, (especially the bathroom), but comfortable and exceptionally clean. The fridge is great. Internet was speedy and free. We also appreciated the excellent continental breakfast, which was well-stocked throughout the time the lounge was open.

We were slightly disappointed that the hot tub was closed, though we understand that it was due to unforeseen maintenance. It's a nice place to relax but we can't hold the closure against the property.

As mentioned, enquire about the "safe insurance fee". I paid it because it wasn't worth worrying about to me but I wonder if perhaps it's some kind of state law or something. Who knows...

Anyway, I'd recommend this place for sure - great location next to the mall and Hwy 53 and only minutes to downtown - not to mention massive savings compared to staying in Canal Park.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

440 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fairview Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I had a great week long stay at this motel. It was pet friendly which I needed and while pet friendly one could not smell pets in the room. Another big plus. The rooms were very well kept as was the overall motel. I liked that there was an area to walk the dogs and that they provided dog bags though I did have my own. Housekeeping was very accomodating as was the front desk. There was ample parking and it was well situated to many other things the city has to offer.

Room Tip: I appreciated having a room at the end of the hallway since I had a pet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Lethbridge, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Never have I been so happy to hear someone say yes we have a room! Meant to only stay in town for the day, turned into a 3-day stay due to unforseen circumstances with a client. Person at front desk was awesome! Hotel is definatly older, but well-kept. Decent parking. Fridge in room. Comfy bed. Lots of hot water. Slight smoke smell on entering hotel, and only big issue we had was someone in the next room had a dog in their room (pet friendly hotel) and while they were away dog was barking like crazy for at least an hour. Call to front desk got the issue resolved within about 15 minutes. Would definatly come back here again, not a Hilton, but definatly recommend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Merrillville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I found many good things during my stay at the Days Inn Duluth. The room was clean and housekeeping was timely and thorough with cleaning. Never had to call for my room to be cleaned. I made good use of the refrigerator and coffee maker. I brought my own coffee and tea from home. Very comfortable beds, but pillows were a little too soft. The chair at the desk was very comfortable and I sat in it to watch T.V. and write my postcards. Shower was easy to get into and out of, not slippery. The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper roll located behind the door. It should've been to the left of the toilet for convenience. Even though I was in a non-smoking room, I did smell some smoke. I recommend bringing some spray for the room. This Days Inn has an excellent whirpool where you can relax. Just the right temperature, not too hot. There are extra towels in the spa. A big plus for me was the public computer in the lobby. It's free to use and no charge for printing. Also, the hotel serves popcorn around 5:00 p.m. everyday and freshly baked cookies around 8:00 p.m. daily (they make delicious chocolate chip cookies). They serve breakfast in the morning, but I didn't try the breakfast. I ate out instead. The hotel is located near a mall, so there are plenty of places to shop and eat. There is a Starbucks near the hotel. Also, Five Guys and Applebees is across from the hotel. There are many other places to eat within a mile of the hotel. Note: There is road construction and a detour on the way there. I drove up from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on I-35, and the exit was closed. Follow signs to I-35 North and 53 North to get to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We had a nonsmoking room, however it still smelled in our room. The locks on the doors don't seem secure. You could hear people slamming doors and walking in the hallway during the night and am hours. Don't expect a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was ok at the hotel.
Located by a mall and many dinning options around.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Dog friendly, but did not have the dog with. Located up the hill by the Miller Hill Mall. You are right across the street from the mall and various bars and restaurants. Nice room and upscale furnishings. No pool that we saw, but a nice whirlpool. Very nice staff.
However, if you are not going to spend time in the room, stay at the Motel 6 down the hill.
Definitely hit the noon buffet at the Skyline Lounge in the bowling alley down the road. Cheap with a full salad bar, soups, hot dishes, and lots of pizzas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The folks at this hotel really try hard to make the stay enjoyable, and the rooms were decent; however, even though we were 7 rooms or so away from the smoking area, we were overwhelmed by the cigarette smoke lingering in the halls. When we arrived home the clothes in our suitcase even smelled like cigarettes. We were on the second floor, maybe the first floor is better for non-smokers?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Duluthmanager, General Manager at Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
We have decided to go 100% smoke free at the Days Inn Duluth. We currently have 12 smoking rooms, all at the end of one hallway (both 1st and 2nd floor). The comments we have gotten from our non-smoking guests about the smoke smell in the halls has convinced us that we need to change to an entirely smoke free hotel. This change will take place on January 1 2012. Thank you for all your comments, they are very helpful.

Been to Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!