“Friendly staff, nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Friendly staff, nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed here for two nights on our way to Thunder Bay. The first night we were in a room at the very end of the hall near the main road. The room itself was spacious. However, it was quite noisy in the morning as you could easily hear the semi trucks coming off of the highway and the room had a pretty pungent smell. We figured we were only there for a couple of nights so we could live with it and decided we wouldn't say anything until we left (just about the smell).

After a day of hiking around the different state parks, we went to the front desk to ask for some recommendations for places to eat. During our conversation the employee asked how our room was and we informed him of the smell. He said they wanted to make our stay right and upgraded us to a room with a jacuzzi. The room was even more spacious, it was toward the middle of the hotel so we didn't hear the semi's in the morning, and there was no smell. It ended up being a perfect evening and a surprisingly pleasant stay.

The breakfast was also good.

Tip: ask for a room away from the main road (even two in makes a big difference with the morning noise).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the extra time to write a review of the Comfort Inn - West. I'm happy to hear the front desk staff took care of your concerns and that your stay was enjoyable and pleasant. We hope to see you again on your next trip to the area! Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Burlington, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We spent the night here on our way to Voyageurs National Park. The location was very easy right off of I-35. Our room was clean and spacious, everything we needed for a comfortable nights stay. The breakfast was more than adequate. More than enough to start us on our day. The evening desk clerk was very helpful in recommending a local place for dinner. We did not use the pool area but it looked very nice. Also they offered a happy hour but we arrived too late to be able to take advantage of it. A nice place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the hotel! It is so nice to hear positive feedback such as yours. I'm so happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay. I hope the time you spent in Voyageurs Nat'l Park was amazing as well! We hope to see you on your next trip through! Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The location was very convenient, right off I-35. The rooms were well kept and spacious. Every member of the staff was helpful and very nice. Breakfast each morning was tasty and there was plenty for all. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I travel roughly 8 months of the year for business,so I stay in many hotels. I often use the Choice brand because they're reasonably priced and generally decent. I've stayed at this hotel twice,and cannot recommend it more highly. Hardly know where to begin. Okay, Cookies and lemonade when we check in...desk staff are incredibly nice and welcoming. They remind us that from 5 to 7 pm there will be hot pulled pork sandwiches and chips, plus a cheap open bar with wine and beer. The sandwiches of course are free, and delicious. Everyone from the desk clerks to the room cleaners are cheerful, happy, seem to enjoy their jobs and are happy to dispense good advice about things to see and places to eat (and their recommendations are spot-on). The pool and jacuzzi are wonderful, but here's the best thing of all: Open to all up till 10pm...but between 10 and 11pm you MUST be 18 or older to partake. No screaming groups of middle school band members, no whining teens...it's adults only from 10 to 11.
The breakfast is good, with waffles, scrambled eggs,sausage,hard boiled eggs, plenty of fruit (including GOOD apples) yogurt, etc. etc etc. What makes this hotel special is breakfast is available till 10 am. This is SO wonderful because often it's hard for me to get my group up and in the breakfast room before the usual cutoff of 9.
If I have one criticism of this marvelous place, it's this: They don't have a fitness room on site. They provide day memberships to an area work out place, which would be awesome if I felt like driving somewhere. I would have liked to toddle downstairs in my jammies for a quick workout in the morning before breakfast. But other than this minor gripe, I have to say that this hotel is truly a gem, and I wish Choicehotels would use them as a template for all the other properties. They say "the fish rots from the head"and I'd guess the reverse is true too. Whoever is in charge of this hotel is brilliant and deserves a massive award for actually proving it's possible to be extremely hospitable in the hospitality industry. Thank you so much! I have a hunch you pay your employees a living wage (at least I hope so) based on all the other good vibes I'm getting from this property. Thank you thank you thank you from someone who stays in many hotels, but never feels as good as when I stay in the Comfort Inn West in Duluth.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice, different areas, both good.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Wow.... I am extremely touched by your comments. Please accept my gratitude on behalf of the entire staff for the wonderful and thoughtful review you have given us. Please let me just simply say "Thank you" for being our guest, for seeing the highlights of the hard work the staff does and for letting others know about it. This is what we strive to accomplish and I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again. Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We found this hotel when we decided to take a quick trip to Duluth to visit relatives. The location is right of the highway and easy to find although it is in a commercial area and the noise from Semis is quite loud. The rooms were comfortable and beds were great. There was a reception in the evening which was nice - hot dogs, chips, etc. Great addition since we were going out for a late dinner. The breakfast in the morning was great - the ladies there were constantly refilling and cleaning. I would stay here again for a night.

Muskego, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

What a lovely hotel. The Staff is the first attraction to the hotel from the moment that we made our reservation through our stay we were treated with outstanding hospitality. Wonderful facility with a great room, pool, hot tub, evening bar and a breakfast that is continually refilled with fresh food. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your review! It is so great to hear you had such a nice time as our guest! Your comments give us such motivation to keep providing a great stay experience to each and every person who stays with us. We're so glad to hear we've earned your loyalty and look forward to seeing you again. Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Crookston, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The hotel was super easy to find and access from the interstate. Staff was friendly and check-in was quick and efficient. The room was spacious and sound quality was good. Comfortable beds and linens. The room was clean and everything worked. The complimentary breakfast offered a good variety of choices from eggs and bacon to waffles and assorted breads, as well as fruits, cereals, yogurt and coffee. Check-out was also quick and the staff was friendly. The kids enjoyed the pool area. Would stay here again next time we are in the area.