“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Chassell, Michigan
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here because we had a check up for my son at a local doctor for a football injury that happened last Fall. Easy to get everywhere - we went to the Aquarium, Mall, Waterfront and Doctors all in 10 minutes or less from this location. Room and bathroom were both clean and lots of room. Slept well with minimal noise. My kids enjoyed the pool as well as the hot tub. Breakfast had something for everyone and we never felt crowded. I enjoyed a drink at the small bar they have set up in the lobby. It worked well and the staff was very friendly. Side note - my son's arm has healed nicely and if he wants he can play football again. As we get closer to the season we will see what he decides.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thanks for your review! We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments. It sounds like you had a fun-filled time while in Duluth and we're glad to hear your son is healed and ready to play ball.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one. Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
North Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

easy location for road trips - right off the interstate - in kind of an industrial area tho -not scenic at all. it has a large breakfast area in the big lobby. they also have a cocktail hour which is nice with snacks. the usual breakfast fare - cereal, pastries, waffles…

rooms are furnished with comfortable beds and nice linens - could use more electrical outlets.

very friendly staff

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the extra time to write a review of your stay. Your comments are appreciated and help us to provide the best stay possible to our guests in the future.

It's nice to hear you were able to take advantage of our hospitality hour! It's a fun time each weekday to relax with fellow travelers and enjoy a snack and beverage. Good news-we are adding outlets at each bedside by the end of the year.

Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Chandler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is the best we've stayed at during our 3 week trip. That includes the Fairmont in Toronto. The value us here and the place is immaculate. Staff is very friendly and the breakfast very complete. They even had snacks last night for happy hour.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Wow-thank you for your review and great comments! We take pride in knowing we successfully delivered you with a great stay experience. And to hear us compared to the Fairmont is simply wonderful... Thanks again and hopefully we'll see you on your next trip! Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Woodbury, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We had a very strange experience here. The hotel was nice and clean and when we first got there, they welcomed us. However, I have never been welcomed without a smile. The staff at the front desk seemed angry and annoyed that we walked through the door. The maids in the hall were super friendly and one of the kitchen/breakfast staff was wonderful. The first night we were there, above us there was intense stomping and crashing on our ceiling. It was loud from 10 - 12:30 or so. The next morning, I mentioned this to the front desk. The manager told me that there was no one above us so I must be mistaken. I asked the other front desk staff about the noise at a separate time, and she told me that 3 adults were in the room. I asked if they were checking out, and she said yes. I asked the other manager why she didn't know that there was someone above us, she didn't answer and told me that those three adults weren't loud. The manager was rude and snarky. I sleep through fire alarms, however this noise woke up my room so it was LOUD! The second night, we slept better, other than someone banging on the door next to us. We had asked who was banging on the door and they said they checked the cameras and no one was there. Again, we must be hearing things. So, second night we didn't sleep that well. We don't complain and have never had trouble sleeping in a hotel. The manager did not attend to our needs to sleep and swept our complaints under the rug without making even an effort to fix the issue. That experience ruined the stay for us. Also, avoid the drinks. I watched the "bartender" make the drinks, and the excess alcohol was poured into the ice container and she used that ice for a different drink. The drinks are over priced and don't taste like they are supposed to. I would not go back. There are so many other places around there where you will be welcomed and cared for.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations on your recent visit. Providing our guests with a great night’s sleep is our #1 goal as a hotel and any time a noise or other disturbance is reported, we take it very seriously. You refer to the manager being rude and uncaring but please note that we did not get a chance to speak at all during your stay. The front desk did report they had offered to change your rooms, which was declined. I have shared your feedback with the staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time. I sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Duluth.
Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed here June 25 & 26, and were very happy with the service provided, and the cleanliness of the room. The carpet was clean, the bed was really comfortable and clean also, and we loved the "normal size" bathroom - just like being at home. What was really great was that they offered discount tickets to attractions that we had planned on attending. The savings was significant. The manager (sorry, forgot her name) was super friendly and helpful - great customer service. The breakfast was good, and the room was quiet, and we were on the first floor. My husband said the cookies were good. All the good amenities were there, plus discounted tickets that they put straight on our bill - bonus. Great location too. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your review! It truly makes my day to hear that from the staff service to a clean room and to breakfast you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s great you were able to take advantage of our discount ticket program for local attractions. I hope your entire time spent in Duluth was just a good. We hope to see you again on your next visit! Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Eau Claire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've been a regular guest at another hotel further to the west which recently changed to another franchise. My move to this location has been not been a disappointment. Very friendly people, clean rooms, very nice breakfast and Lobby areas as well. Great pool area and considerably more common areas than most hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the extra time to review our hotel! I have shared your great comments with the entire staff and they join me in thanking you. Our goal in hospitality is to provide the great things you mentioned. I hope we have earned your business and will see you on your next visit to the area. Amanda Kasie, General Manager
Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Giving this a 4 rather than a 5 due to the room's location -- right next to the stairs. As well as the noise from the hallway.
The stairwell is open and peeps traipsed up and down and down and up over, and over, and over... boom! boom! boom! And then the yelling would ensue in the hallway. Guess I can't blame the hotel for that other than to say better sound proofing would be in order. Close the stairway after 10pm or so.
BUT! we did so love the beds, pillows and sheets. Oh so comfortable - truly a comfort inn. I'm thinking of calling and asked what sheets/pillows/mattresses they use I liked them so well.
The place was very clean, nice layout, good parking area, welcoming front desk people.
Only the noise was an issue.

Room Tip: Stay AWAY from the stairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I’m sorry to hear you encountered noise from guests during your stay. I agree that when the hotel is busier there can be more traffic throughout our hallways and stairs and with that, more of a chance for noise to travel. Unfortunately, due to fire code, we are not able to close them at any time. Soundproofing is a great idea. I will mention it at our next budget meeting. It is fabulous to hear you loved the beds! We have a new bedding package and it’s great to know we lived up to our name. We are planning an update with our guest room beds so I hope you get a chance to return and try those out too! Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Been to Comfort Inn West? Share your experiences!