“Very nice, close to the Highway and not too far from Downtown.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Mlps, MN
“Very nice, close to the Highway and not too far from Downtown.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Very Pleasant and affordable place to stay in Duluth. Easy on/off from Hwy 35 and about 3 to 4 exits south of the main downtown area. They are in the process of remodeling this hotel, so everything is new and fresh. The breakfast is okay, better than most of the lower chains, typical fare of scrambled eggs, waffles and sausage, with muffins, toast friut, etc. The capaccino maker was a nice surprise (gas station quality). Very clean hotel, with inviting pool/spa area. Safe part of town (not attractive, more industrial, but safe). If you are passing through Duluth, or want a clean, inexpensive place to stay during your visit, this would be my choice. My only disappointment was that the beds were a little on the hard side for my taste, so the first night was not my best nights sleep.

Room Tip: We went for the slightly upgraded room with the fridge and microwave and it is slightly larger too...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I booked this hotel because everything on Canal Park was booked. It was a pleasant surprise, the rooms were large and clean. Looks like they were remodeling some of the 2nd floor rooms. We booked a room with a microwave, mini fridge and have only one minor compliant and that was the noise in the hallway travels easily into your room. Don't know if that is something that they can fix. Breakfast was good-hot sausage, scrambled eggs, bagels, waffles, etc. Coffee was weak though, I couldn't drink it, had to get caffeine elsewhere. Staff was very courteous, we got a call before we left home, explaining that there was road construction at their exit and to call if we needed different directions to get to their hotel. I was glad for the 'heads up' from the other reviewers here that mentioned the safe charge. I did get charged for using the safe (which we never touched) and they took it off when I mentioned it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Babbitt, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

After reading reviews from some other hotels in West Duluth, we settled on the Comfort Inn even though we were uncomfortable with the high price of over $160 with taxes. It was very comfortable and quiet. I was happy to see a security guard making the rounds at night and a key was required for entrance after 10:30 pm. The hot breakfast was great. The room was a little worn, but very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I booked the last available room (#100), which of course was a smoking room. They cautioned me ahead of time that the room would be in a smoking wing and therefore I could smell smoke, but since I needed to stay on the West End, I booked it. I was not disappointed. Yes, the room had a smoky smell, but after 30 minutes with the window open and the bathroom fan running, the smokiness was completely gone and I had a fresh, clean, and airy room! The beds were very comfortable with soft linens, the bathroom was exceptionally clean and roomy, and the room itself was very nice. The service at the front desk was friendly, helpful, and everyone had a "No Problem" attitude. The continental breakfast was on the generous side, with waffles pastries, fruit, eggs, meat, etc. The location of the hotel is great - right by the interstate, but out of sight and sound of the traffic. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you aren't a smoker, and have to stay in a smoking room, the staff is very helpful about prov...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Bismarck, ND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed for four nights and were very pleased with the amenities. The hot breakfast had many selections including scrambled eggs, bacon, two flavors of Belgium waffles, pastries, fruit, breads, cappucino and three coffee choices. The beds were very comfortable, the room and bathroom were spotless as was the lobby area. Although we didn't use the pool and hot tub I could see they were also very clean. I would definitely stay again when in Duluth and have recommended it to friends. The location was close to I-35 without having the noise and only 5 minutes from Park Canal.

Room Tip: This hotel is only two floors and I think any of the rooms would have been fine.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed for three nights and were always greeted in a friendly manner by all staff. Our room was very clean and the hotel was quiet. Towels and other items were replenished in a timely manner and housekeeping was most gracious.

The complimentary breakfast was fabulous with scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, and many other offerings. Coffee available 24/7 and to top all of this, a free evening appetizer with bar available for individual purchase of wine or beer.

Easy to locate, parking always available, and and easy ride to all that Duluth offers.

We will stay here again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our whole group was happy staying here. Very good breakfast. I didn't look at the bill to see if there was a safe charge. I hope not I opened it up to look inside and there were no batteries to run the lock. I don't know where the folks who said the place was old stayed. We all thought the place smelled new.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn West? Share your experiences!