“Impressive food and view” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pasta
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
New Ulm, Minnesota, United States
“Impressive food and view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My sisters, mom, and I spent a delicious, relaxing evening in the grotto area underneath the glass walled patio. This area is open air, and a ship parked in the harbor and a nearly full moon shining over the water made our meal even better! Our server was willing to share her favorite dishes to help us decide. All of us loved our meals: shrimp/scallop dish with creamy sun-dried tomato sauce, a roast beef with Gorgonzola cheese sauce, and in-house made Parmesan meatballs with a red marinara sauce. When we found out that the managers were from our hometown, they both came over for a visit. We will definitely come again the next time any of us is in Duluth!

Garrison, Minnesota
“A must do again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This restaurant offers so much I am not sure where to start. Upon arrival we were seated in the indoor patio with a fabulous view of a ship on the Lake Superior waters. It was a warm summer evening and the moon was rising in the peach sky.Below us we were able to watch people go by on the lake walk. We started with drinks that we sort of savored. My friend got the citrus cosmo and I ordered the Peach Bellini. Both went down way easier then they should have. We ordered the Bruschetta and we were a bit disappointed. The bread was quite toasted and their was a small dish of the tomato topping. We asked for some extra balsamic vinegar and that made things better. There was some confusion when our bread arrived shortly after this appetizer. I had specifically asked our waitress if the pasta came with bread and a salad and she said no. If we had known there was bread included we would not have ordered the bruschetta. We really liked our dinner selections. My friend had the roast beef au jus paninii. Upon tasting her first bite she was in her glory. She said it had just the right flavor and balance with all the ingredients. I liked my angel hair pasta with sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers. It was so much that I had to take half of it to go. My friend however was able to order both the tiramisu and their signature cake which is baked daily on site.. She ordered them to go but then wondered why since she finished the tiramisu before we left the parking lot.. She said she would return just for the tiramisu if that was all there was. A fantastic way to spend a warm summer evening with a friend.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pine Island, Minnesota
“Worth 2 visits in 1 trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

A charming little place with above average (really good!) food. Fantastic service - Caity, who we found out is moving to Chicago soon to pursue her acting career, struck a perfect balance between knowledge & her genuine nature. We are picky, and we are in the business, so we were overy impressed with her. She particularly took time to make extra sure that our son's gluten and dairy free meal was just that. Easily, with no being unsure. This was a huge plus for us, and we ended up coming back the final day of our trip for more. Pizza, Gnocchi, The P.L.P. sandwich and oh, the gelato.....honey lavender. And they aren't afraid to just throw some lavender buds right in there, which, as a locavore and a pastry chef, I love. It's earthy. Although the chocolate-y caramel-y flavors were just as great. Sit out on the open deck if you can. It's close quarters and you may, like I, have the back of your head along the open window to the kitchen, but we particularly enjoy that - you get to see everyone's food, sometimes hear what they are saying about it, and you get a little view into the kitchen and catch a glimpse, which is always fun for us chef people. Full bar, too, which is great. Also coffee drinks. They have a great set up for coffee, gelato, happy hour and lunch/dinner. Good concept.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Spokane, Washington
“Wonderful meal on the waterfront”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had the Best Italian meal I have ever been served at Va Bene while on vacation this last month in MN. Setting was beautiful, food was amazing and their gelato?! I have been to Italy and this was just as good. The wait staff was excellent, attentive, knowledgeable , friendly. A wonderful meal and I will always put this on my list of places to go in the future.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful Dinner and beautiful views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We didn't have reservations...but were arrived early and were seated the glassed patio looking out at Lake Superior. Great food, wonderful service. Highly recommend

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Va Bene Caffe? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Va Bene Caffe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.