“Relaxing & Romantic Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast
You added The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2211 East 3rd Street, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Relaxing & Romantic Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband made reservations for us to stay here for Valentine's Day eve and it was a real treat! What initially attracted us was that your breakfast is brought to your room in the morning, no uncomfortable conversation with strangers to start your day, what a great concept! We were greeted at the door when we arrived and shown around the beautiful common rooms (we'll have to go back when the weather is nicer to enjoy the beautiful wrap around porch) and given a history of the house, then as we were the first guests to arrive, we got to take a peek at all the other suites as well. I can say we would have been happy in any of the rooms! All the rooms were nicely decorated and it truly felt like we were visiting a friend or relative and not just customers. We loved the soft music that was playing, the warm fireplace, the relaxing jacuzzi, the comfortable bed, the view from our room (the Brookside), and the food was impressive too! Even though there was a room above us and other rooms on the same floor as us once we closed the door it was all peace and quiet, just what we were looking for. The pantry was a nice touch with amazing freshly baked sugar cookies, water, soda, licorice, tea and coffee that were available 24/7. Jim and Joy both made us feel like welcomed guests.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at The Firelight Inn since 2002. We wanted a short, but luxurious honeymoon after we got married, and I found The Inn while searching for the best honeymoon spots/B&Bs in Minnesota. I came upon the website for The Inn and was impressed with it and decided to reserve the Northwoods Suite for our first stay there. We have been hooked ever since!

We've stayed in and like all of the rooms, and our favorite rooms are the Superior Suite and the Isle Royale Suite. Each time we have stayed at The Firelight Inn, it's like a new experience - different, yet the same. The house and rooms remain beautiful, comfortable, luxurious and tranquil, and each room simply evokes love and romance. The personal delivery of breakfast in the morning simply spoils us, and the food is MAGNIFICENT!! One of my favorite amenities is the butler's pantry on the first floor, where there is 24/7 access to cups, mugs, plates, napkins, ice, cold drinks, gourmet coffee, cream, freshly baked cookies and other homemade treats, candy and anything else you might need in between! Jim and/or Joy will even take the time to chat it up with you if you happen to see them in passing. They are so friendly, warm, funny and attentive! :)

I honestly don't know how anyone could say they had a bad time here, as Jim and Joy have always been more than accommodating and reasonable. As long as you let them know ahead of time about any special need(s) you may have or let them know of any problem, they will honor your request(s) or try to work with you to resolve the problem. For example, I'm vegetarian, and before our most recent stay, I let Jim and Joy know about this. Joy honored my request and made tofu scramble with TONS of fresh veggies and fresh fruit as part of my breakfast each day as well. I appreciated that very much!

My husband and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying at The Firelight Inn for retreats, honeymoons, anniversaries, quick getaways, or even some much-needed down time by yourself. Whatever the reason, you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place!! We can't wait for our next trip! :)

Room Tip: Best suite is the Superior Suite on the top floor. It is the biggest suite and also may be suitable...
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have had many wonderful experiences staying at the Firelight Inn. After staying there 18 times, we would never even consider staying at another B&B. Jim and Joy are always at the door to greet us upon our arrival, and always make us feel welcome. They are much more than innkeepers - they have become our good friends. We have stayed in all the suites and have enjoyed all of them. One of the highlights of our visit is anticipating one of Joy's fantastic breakfasts. We are always sad when our weekend is over, but we always book our next visit with them before we say goodby.

Room Tip: It's fun to try all of them - but the Barnum is our favorite!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I had a great time in Duluth and I can credit my pleasant stay to The Firelight Inn. The food was amazing. The house was very inviting as were the delightful innkeepers. Jim and Joy made my stay in their lovely inn amazing. I am from Texas and the cold weather was a little hard to handle but with the gas fireplace and the in room thermostat I was as snug as a bug. I will be more than a returning guest, I might just try to move in! And not to mention they have the best sugar cookies you will ever try! I cannot say it enough The Firelight Inn has amazing food!!!

Room Tip: Jim and Joy were very insightful when it came to picking a room perfect for me. I loved the Brooksid...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Princeton, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed three nights after Thanksgiving and had a very peacefull stay. We needed to get away. Jim and Joy are very good at everything they do, the house tour is a nice touch, very detailed. The breakfast is first class with a pleasant surprise everyday, a new recipe that I hadn't heard of, and I'm a foodie. My wife and I had massages on Sat. am, breakfast at 9:00 massage at 10:30 and 11:45. --Nap at 12:00. We ate at Bellisoro (sp) by canal park on sunday, no waiting, easy parking great food and atmosphere. Local old school pizza joint on 8th street is the best, I mean really, really good thin crust. Ask for crispy if you like it to snap.
Ice machine, cookies and coffee/tea bar are a nice touch. Cookies are very fresh!
Easy access to everything but also very private. It's the last place on a dead end street in a very quiet, high end neighborhood.
We loved our stay.

Room Tip: The Isle Royal suite is better suited to a one night stay, smaller room than the others. We toured...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
J&JFischer, Owner at The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Thank you for your review of The Firelight Inn and it was such a pleasure having you both with us for your romantic long weekend getaway. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay in our second floor Isle Royale Suite, your relaxation massage therapy and our amenities. We look forward to seeing you again!
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I've stayed at a dozen B&B over the years so my rating is based on comparison to other B&B not to a Days Inn or comparitive hotel. The breakfast was good and as expected. The inn is very nice in appearance and has a great history to it with all original woodwork and windows. What comes with that though is squeaky floors and cool temperatures. Our room was on the 2nd floor and there are rooms above on the 3rd floor. The floor above was very squeaky and made it difficult to sleep while the occupants above were moving around. The room was also quite cold. All rooms have a fireplace which we had on literally the enitre 2 night stay and the room never got above 68 degrees. The owners have the thermostat turned down fairly low to save energy so the actual radiators in the room never put out any heat as far as I could tell. We have our own home turned down as well so we were used to such cool temperatures but I'm not sure everyone keeps their house at 65. I also don't beleive when spending more money than a hotel that you should have to put up with a cool room. So use that info as you wish to decide which B&B to stay at in Duluth. I don't think you can do any worse but I know there are better.

Room Tip: Choose a 3rd floor room and the squeaky floor issue shouldn't be a problem for you, just for you...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We are so sorry that these guests choose this venue to post any issue with their stay, when we approached them several times during their stay and upon check out asking them for feedback on their Firelight experience. Our thermostat is set for comfort not to save money as we don't skimp when it comes to guest comfort. We're sorry that these guests feel we're average because we know, and our high average of returning guests know, that we excel as a bed and breakfast experience. These guests stayed in our Brookside Suite which is our most requested and most reserved suite. Read on for more reviews from our guests!
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have stayed here multiples times and each of our visits is unbelievably delightful. Jim and Joy are extremely friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts they serve each morning which were served and enjoyed in our suite are the best we have ever eaten, 5 star quality for sure! Their Inn is decorated beautifully with such care and thought. All of the little details are breathtaking especially at Christmas time. We will definitely be staying here again and would recommend it to our friends. The Firelight Inn is a place you should stay at, it's the BEST!

Room Tip: Any suite is a pleasure to stay in
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Firelight Inn on Oregon Creek Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!