“Bonnie B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Downtown Duluth Motel

You added The Downtown Duluth Motel to your Saves list
The Downtown Duluth Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 West Second Street, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Fargo, North Dakota
“Bonnie B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Came to Duluth for overnight sightseeing getaway and to see the band play. I was nervous as to what I would get but the hotel was clean and well kept. My room was very acceptable and clean. The only thing that would have been nice was a mini refrigerator. Parking was off street and I could have walked to First Street easily and comfortably. Common sense said steer clear of the dark alleys. Overall a very nice place and it will be my choice of stay over the Holiday Inn for parking with a trailer. No complaints. Thanks for a good stay.

Room Tip: It is a two level on a hillside. If you don't want steps please tell them.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Bonnie B,

Thanks so much for sharing your nice comments about your recent stay with us. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and that you found us to be a good value. We look forward to serving you here again.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Don't stay here if you want a no smoking room or want to get work done online. My room was a "non smoking" room that smelled like a frat party was in there the night before. Bed were good. TV channel listing not current. WiFi worked about a quarter of the time. 100 bucks and I've had better at motel sixes for half the price.

• Stayed December 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear David S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the condition of your guest room and poor WiFi service you received. Please accept my apologies for the discomfort and frustration we caused. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will come visit us in the future.

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here after our flight from Vegas.It was a cold night and we were freezing.The lady at the front desk told us to let her know if we need extra blankets or anything else.The room was small but very warm.They had continental breakfast which included cereals,fruits,yogurt,toast,pastries and drinks.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Sally155017,

Thanks so much for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We endeavor to give all our guests the best in service and accommodations and we appreciate your compliments. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Bel Air, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Came to Duluth for an overnight visit on a steam train. This hotel was pretty close to the depot and was priced the best out of the other bigger (and presumably nicer) hotels nearby. This place is a few streets up the hill on the edge of a semi-burnt out section of downtown Duluth. Everything generally looked run down once we got to the street this place was on, and encountered a few shady folks on the way.

When waiting to check in at the hotel, the guy ahead of me had his reservation printed out but was told that he wasn't in the system (this didn't affect me, but it definitely made me worry that I might have the same fate - all the hotels in town were booked solid so no clue what this guy ended up having to do).

Our room was clean and relatively modern (I state this very generally, the place seems to have been here a long time - it must have had a remodeling in the last few decades). The shower was really small and generic, and the showerhead had this funny rig with multiple members connected with wingnuts...not a huge deal but still kinda weird to me. I went to turn on the water and the knob fell off in my hand. It didn't even have a screw securing it to the fixture. Tried to call the front desk to report it and the phone was all static. I could tell I was talking to someone, but the static was so loud there was no way I could make out what they were saying.

Stay was uneventful, but this place is definitely WAY overpriced for the generic semi-crappy motel that it is, including all the crap that was busted. $170+ would get a way nicer room in way nicer towns...they must have known the excursion was coming because all hotel prices in the area were really high.

I'll probably stay in Canal Park next time to avoid having to dodge bums on the way here and having to pay lots of money for stuff in my room that generally works in most civilized areas....but didn't at this place.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brad L,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your comments. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and I am truly sorry for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced here. Please accept my sincere apologies that we didn't do a better job of demonstrating our commitment to guest satisfaction. I hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust on a future visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and her friend each booked a room here for a marathon but ended up backing out. For whatever reason her friend was able to cancel it she was not (?) so she rebooked a later date and we tried to make a weekend trip out of it. We checked in and the clerk gave us directions to our room where we ended up being the longest route (there weren't any carts that we were made aware of). We get to the room, which is freezing (hey staff I know your making peanuts but could you go turn the heat on prior to your guests arrival) finally, and it's uncleanliness unfolds. I go to wash my hands and there is a hair on the soap bar. I went on to find not only multiple random hairs (not ours) but also a coffee cup and broken hair clip (most certainly not ours) under the side of the bed. All this for $140-for one night! Yet her friend was able to simply cancel and get a refund? On top of that one of the lamps was missing a bulb and the parking lot is a mess. If it weren't for the lack of cleanliness the room itself wasn't bad. Anyway until compensated we will not recommend.

• Stayed November 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
Dear racerx8410712,

I am truly sorry for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced here and offer my sincere apologies that we didn't do a better job of demonstrating our commitment to guest satisfaction. Timely feedback from you and other valued guests is very important to us, and it is used in discussions and training to improve our operation. We do want to learn more details about your visit and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this further and make amends. I hope we can regain your confidence.

Grand Forks, ND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

A friend and I planned a girls' weekend in Duluth and were on a budget. The BWDT was the most affordable to downtown and port proximity. We were a little apprehensive based on some of the other reviews, but our room was updated, comfortable and clean. There was plenty of hot water--something I really prize and the towels were new. The staff was helpful. I would stay here again if I visited Duluth again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, November 7, 2014
Dear laurels10,

Thank you very much for writing and posting your nice review. Everyone here enjoys delivering a higher quality guest experience than our competitors and I'm glad you were happy with our performance. I'll share your comments with our team so they know their efforts are appreciated. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again.

Duluth, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

The shower was 2 feet square, good thing I'm a thin guy. Table was uncomfortably tall, wish I was a tall man. Heater ran loudly or not at all. Cleaning was sub-par, found hair and lots of dust. TV remote wouldn't channel up. New carpet and drapes, but kept some of the old furniture, ie. chairs. Only Ice machine is on the top floor, not easy for disabled to access. Breakfast was disappointing, toaster pancakes and cereal with skim or 1% milk (what's the difference).

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, November 2, 2014
Dear Daniel M,

I am truly sorry for all the frustration and hassle we caused you and offer my sincere apologies that we didn't do a better job of delivering an excellent guest experience. Timely feedback from you and other valued guests is very important to us, and it is used in discussions and training to improve our operation. I hope you will reconsider and give us another chance to demonstrate our dedication to guest satisfaction on a future visit.

Guest Relations

Been to The Downtown Duluth Motel? Share your experiences!