“Not what I was expecting ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Downtown Duluth Motel

You added The Downtown Duluth Motel to your Saves list
The Downtown Duluth Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 West Second Street, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
“Not what I was expecting ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Rooms were nice and clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Wifi didn't work any of the three nights we stayed there. Parking sucks. Not much room and it's on a hill. Had to park around back a couple of nights. Located in a sketchy neighborhood, so I wouldn't walk around there too late at night. Nonetheless, it's only about a 15 minute walk from the lake and all its attractions.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Jacob L,

I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with us during your recent stay and apologize for any discomfort you experienced here. Our goal is to provide all guests with excellent service and accommodations and we take it very seriously when find that we have fallen short. We value all guest feedback and appreciate that you included positive comments in your review. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fargo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Me and my family stayed here the night of the 12th and the 13th. I booked my room through Expedia.com. I thought my rate was going to be $201.00 total. It came out to $213.00 and I got a little frustrated. The front desk staff was amazing. The two ladies working the desk took that tax off that Expedia didn't tell me about. They were so nice. The parking lot was really strange. Parking on a hill sucked. We had to drive around the corner behind the hotel to park and to be honest with you it was pretty scary as the area the hotel is in is bad. There are a lot of shady people walking around in the area. Not a good place to be walking around at night. The room was very nice. No stains, no bad smells, no nasty hair, no bed bugs. It was awesome. The bed's were nice. The tv was nice. Me and my family were very satisfied. The breakfast was actually good. It was no 5 star breakfast but it was good. Overall this stay was awesome. The front desk rocks. The housekeepers were so good my mother left them a nice tip. If anyone can get past the fact that the area is bad and the parking sucks then you will like this place. I will be staying at the Best Western again when I make my next trip to Duluth.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Lonnie J,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your detailed review about your recent stay with us. It’s guests like you that make our jobs of providing excellent service and accommodations very rewarding. We really appreciate your compliments which I will share with our team so they know their efforts are recognized and appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Musty, smelly, small room which is barely accessible because it's little hallway is a little wider than the aisle boarding aircraft and you have to carry your luggage in front of you the same way. Didn't realize that the "double" was a small hard bed ( sore and tired the next day from rock hard mattress) and I can't recall staying anywhere with double bed in recent history so my bad for not paying attention to that but to totally unsuitable for anything but newlyweds or singles. Meanwhile, sink held up by bare 2x4 with "leg" scribbled on it, sink is also the location for toilet paper which is admittedly handier than on the top of the toilet tank.

Very proud to have paid the handsome fee of $179 plus tax for a night at this gem because if you own any motel in any condition a couple days before Bluesfest, you could probably get even more if you held out til Friday.

I have no idea if internet worked or not as we left as soon as we saw the room and stayed out as late as we could to avoid spending any time there. I haven't stayed at a Best Western in quite some time, hate to think I've become a hotel snob, but clearly the positive reviews on this place must've been enjoying the view at the pool under the palm trees that staff forgot to tell me about.

Room Tip: Not the SE 2nd floor comer. Worst room I've seen in years.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Dan B,

I am sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay with us and apologize for the disappointment, discomfort and inconvenience you experienced here. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. . If you would like to discuss this further and give us an opportunity to make amends, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will consider giving us a chance to regain your respect on a future visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Hotel was just OK. Pillows were tiny. We had five of them but all tiny. Very old motel! Trip advisor didn't include the tax for the second day so I wasn't happy about that. So it was 14$ more than we were quoted and I thought it was 2 much $ to start with.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear quentinlj,

Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the pillows in your room and apologize for the discomfort you experienced. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry. Please consider staying with us again so we can demonstrate our dedication to delivering a great guest experience. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Duluth.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Traveled to Duluth for Howling Moon Music Fest and stayed here for 2 nights. This is a great motel for the price, within walking distance of so many great places. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend to anyone traveling to Duluth on a budget.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Jenna K,

Thanks for posting your wonderful comments about our hotel. We value all guest feedback, and it's especially gratifying when it is as positive as yours. We value your business and appreciate your compliments and recommendation. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

It was a mother/daughter trip to the North Shore and we decided to stop in Duluth to go to Canal Park. This hotel is located in a bad area of the city and we felt unsafe as soon as we pulled in. We were given a room on the 2nd floor and was told the 2nd floor parking is located behind the hotel in an alley. The streets near the alley were filled with unsavory men and young men loitering about. Even though I knew I would not get a refund from this hotel myself and my daughter decided not to even go to our room and returned our keys to the office telling the receptionist we didn't feel safe, especially since we would be returning after dark from Canal Park. This hotel is not for families or women.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear KansasCityMissouri,

I am very sorry you were uncomfortable here and decided not to stay with us during your recent visit to Duluth. Guest safety and comfort are top priorities for us and we take these responsibilities very seriously. We value all guest feedback and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. I hope you and your daughter were able to enjoy the rest of your time in our area.

Cass Lake, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Service is good, however the breakfast area is small with limited seating. The location of the hotel is convenient to downtown Duluth. Coffee and fruit is available 24 hours, however there are no snack vending machines, only beverage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Priscilla F,

Thanks for posting comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with our breakfast area and lack of snack vending machines, and offer my apologies for any discomfort or inconvenience you experienced. I'm glad you were happy with our service and appreciate that you mentioned it in your review. I hope you will be our guest again.

Guest Relations

Been to The Downtown Duluth Motel? Share your experiences!