“Nice stay but needs updating.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #21 of 31 hotels in Duluth
hancock, michigan
“Nice stay but needs updating.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night while on business. We choose it because it is a pet friendly hotel. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. It is quite dated though and could use some updating. We were given a room with outside direct access. We like this because it's easy for our dogs and we like not having to walk a long distance just to get outside. The area to walk our dogs was behind the hotel and not that convenient as the grassy areas were hills. I made my husband go with me when they needed to go out because I didn't feel exactly safe. This is a downtown hotel and not in the best area, unfortunately. Overall though, our stay was fine and we had no problems. The staff were very nice and the continental breakfast was sufficient. Would we stay again? Probably not. If they had a pet friendly hotel down in Canal Park that would be my first choice. Canal Park Brewery allows you to bring your pets when you sit outside on their patio.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear suomilainen,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your candid comments. We love it when people bring their four legged furry family members with them, and we get a change to know them too. I appreciate your comments about the dog walking area, and wish we had something better to offer. I hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Duluth.

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at this Best Western hotel anf it was very clean, the beds were great and it was in a great location. Resonable rate and even had a nice breakfest. Would stay there again. The lady at the desk was very nice and helpfull. She gave us advice on where to eat and gave us information on things to see. Would have stayed longer but didn't have enought time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Patricia N,

Thanks so much for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We endeavor to give all our guests the best in service and accommodations and we appreciate your business and your compliments. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

brookfield mo, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

bathtub rust stained, safety lock on door broke if no rooms availabe in the entire town, better off sleeping in car. staff will lie to you, not very helpful. it will be a very cold day in hell, when I stay in another best western. the staff really didnt give a damn. i booked a smoking room, many months prior, confirmed a few days prior, then upon checkin, said no smoking was state law not true, because i stayed in another motel, which was previously booked as smoking, and asked the desk clerk about the law, never heard of it. up yours best western!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Ronald B,

I am truly sorry we did not provide you with an excellent stay and offer my apologies. Please don't let this one bad experience reflect poorly on the Best Western family of hotels, which are all independently owned and operated. We would like the opportunity to discuss this personally with you and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. We value your business and your feedback and hope to hear from you soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is not a very nice Best Western hotel. There is obviously a big difference in room quality at this hotel. My colleague and I have first floor rooms with outside entrance doors. These rooms are poor at best - no amenities and small. There are second floor rooms with internal entrance doors that must be better based on other's comments. Room 121 has a very small stand-in shower, not a tub shower. Breakfast area is super small. This hotel is very old and is in need of a makeover. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear BetaGuardPM,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review. I'm sorry you were disappointed in us and offer my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. We value your business and appreciate your feedback. We are an older property and some of our rooms are small, with showers only. Our downtown location is the most important thing to most of our guests, and we endeavor to provide a clean and comfortable stay for everyone. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you here again.

Fernie British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

First time stay at the downtown Best Western location in Duluth. Would definitely stay again. Continental breakie and -price of accommodation very good. Did not expect French toast and sausages at breakfast so this was a bonus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Williams
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The parking was unhandy (steeply sloped), traffic difficult on a busy one-way street, and the room was so small that one of the beds was up against the heating/cooling unit. It was impossible to reach the window/ curtains due to the bed in the way. Definitely not the place for elderly or anyone with any sort of mobility issues. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear KathPM,

I am very sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies for any discomfort you experienced here. I agree, we are not a great choice for folks who have mobility issues, understand your frustration. We appreciate your business and value your input, as it helps us improve in areas that need attention. We would like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this discussion personally. I hope you were able to enjoy other aspects of your visit to Duluth.

Waseca, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at this motel and we were pleasantly pleased. Rooms were updated and clean, and it was very quiet. We enjoyed the downtown location as it was with in walking distance to most shops, bars etc. There were some homeless people as reviews had stated but they were harmless. There was enough parking the first night but the second night we had to park in the back lot. It was well lit and I felt comfortable leaving my vehicle there. The motel was one of the nicer ones I have stayed in. The flowers out front were very pretty and the staff was nice for the most part. Watch out for the brown haired lady that works the front desk, she was very rude and had the personality of a stick when we checked in. It was a busy labor day weekend and pride in Duluth so I could see how you could be over whelmed. We had issues with our TV and the night staff came right over and was very helpful. I mentioned the checkin and she apologized and said that wasnt the first complaint she had recieved that day and that the lady was the assistant GM. She was way more helpful in offering suggestions in the downtown area and canal park. You are about 3/4 of a mile from Canal park but can take the walk way through the Holiday Inn. We explored the crap out of Duluth so we were rarely in our rooms. I would stay here again. The breakfast looked decent but we did not have it.

Room Tip: Room 246 is where we stayed. By stair way was noiser in am but otherwise a great location and would...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel? Share your experiences!