“Very dirty, feces on the walls in bathroom !” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Downtown Duluth Motel

You added The Downtown Duluth Motel to your Saves list
The Downtown Duluth Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 West Second Street, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
“Very dirty, feces on the walls in bathroom !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

By far the dirtiest room I've ever stayed in, the bathroom was disgusting! Shower dropped all night and the bath tub was rotted out and had condensation in the tub the whole time? It was a ground floor unit , maybe thats why? Room smelled rancid, old smoke and mold, comforter was filthy and smokey. The parking lot is a nightmare and we saw another guests car get hit by another guest pulling in. I was afraid mine would get hit the whole night. The hotel is also a seedy location . Had to was everything in my suitcase cause it smelt like mold and s

• Stayed November 2012
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I am truly sorry you were so unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies. The conditions you describe are certainly not up to our usual standards, and I will use your reviw in discussions and training to improve our operation. We welcome all guest input and appreciate your candid comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I work for a 3 star hotel in the Twin Cities and so am very familiar with the amenities modern hotels should offer. This MOTEL (not hotel) was the type where your room door opens onto the parking lot. The room was small, but clean and had decent beds, flat screen tv, and bathroom fixtures were all working properly (except there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom...which is awful in such a small room!) The wifi was fast and reliable and the cable tv selections were great. I was traveling to Duluth to visit my daughter in college and I prefer to stay in Best Westerns, so this was my ONLY choice if I wanted to stick with the brand and use my Rewards points for my stay. Breakfast REALLY needs improvement! Just a few items to chose from and no lids for the coffee cups...so you must carry your coffee across the parking lot with no lid!
It certainly was a decent enough room and as I bring a fan with me to use for sleeping noise, I was not bothered too much by the city noises. We did have a drunk fall into our door at 3am and then lay on the pavement for a minute before getting up and moving on to his room (presumably) but that's not the hotel's fault.
Neither staff person I had interactions with was particularly friendly. They were efficient enough, but I didn't feel very welcomed after my long day of driving and arriving to find my reservation wasn't entirely correct, coupled with a staff girl who barely interacted with us except as much as was absolutely necessary. Front desk people are the first impression of any property and should always be cordial and friendly.
All in all, I would stay there again when I come to visit my daughter in the future. I will just be better prepared to eat breakfast elsewhere. I will also be sure to ask if ANY room has an exhaust fan in the restroom. The prices are pretty steep for what you get, but I understand they are charging for the location, which for me was incredibly convenient to both UMD and St. Scholastica.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to the Best Western family of hotels, and for staying at our hotel. I'm sorry you were disappointed with our service and breakfast and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. I appreciate your understanding of our business, and hope you will continue to let us know how we are doing on your future visits to your daughter and Duluth.
Albertville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was skeptical about staying here after all the negative reviews. This place is not as bad as what some people have said unless you are extremely fussy there is nothing wrong with the Best Western Downtown. Look at the price difference between this motel and the ones in Canal Park. Our room was clean, it is small but we didn't care we were only there to sleep. The breakfast in the morning is pretty similar to any other continental breakfast that I ever had. I would stay here again and would recommend this motel to family and friends. I consider this motel to be within walking distance of Canal Park unless you are extremely out of shape or an older individual.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid review of our hotel. I'm glad you were happy with the room and service we provide, and appreciate your recommendation of us. I hope you will allow us to serve you again the next time you visit Duluth.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was my first and will be my only stay at the Best Western Downtown Motel in Duluth, MN. I don't even know where to begin so I'll start with the biggest issue. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting!!! There were pubic hairs on the toilet, sink, in the shower, and even in the "clean" towels that were folded on the shelf in the bathroom. When I checked in the toilet had dried urine on the toilet seat and the shower was covered in mold. The coffee maker in the room was dirty and had water from a previous guest inside of it and it had a musty odor. The next biggest issue was the general lack of routine maintenance with the room and motel in general. The floors were uneven and wavy. If anyone has difficulty walking this would be a huge safety issue where they could fall and injure them self. The massage shower head in the shower was broken and the shower was so small you could barely turn around. There were scuffs and marks on the walls and counters. Moving on...the lobby area was dirty and the free "hot" breakfast offered was cold and the breakfast area looked like they have never cleaned it. I saw it and chose to find a restaurant to have breakfast instead. The list goes on about this motel but I'll just say it was WAY below my expectations for being a Best Western branded motel. If you absolutely have to stay in Duluth and this is your only option it's okay, but if given a choice I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
I am very sorry you were so unhappy with your accommodations here during your recent stay, and offer my sincere apologies. The conditions you describe are well below our normal standards, and I will use your review to improve our operation. I hope you will not let this one visit affect your high regard for the Best Western family.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was hesitant about our stay at this motel based on other reviews. I am glad I saw the reviews and were aware of what to expect. The other/new hotels in the downtown area are built on the peninsula/pier area and they charge for being newer ($200 for this weekend), whereas the Best Western was $110 each night. For such a large price discrepancy, I was prepared for the different, my spouse was upset with how much we were paying for each night here. It was obvious the room had been freshly wallpapered, and you could see patches or other things that were on the surface that were just covered up (texture outlines of uneven surface underneath).

The room smelled musty/moldy, and made us wonder what it looked like a few months before. There was one television stand. The fan in the bathroom did not work. We had two bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths. One of each size was newer and slightly fluffy and the other was basically threadbare. We had a king size bed, the tall dresser with tv on it, a small dresser which doubled as a suitcase stand for us and two beside tables, as well as a table and two chairs. The bedspread appeared to be fairly new as well. The bed was quite comfortable.

That said, the vent in the bathroom probably didn't work because when one looked at it, the vent itself was covering drywall that had about eight one inch drill holes in it. The musty smell combined with two or three dead honey bees in the window was suggesting even with having the hotel room being booked, it still was not aired out before we arrived. The room was non-smoking; however, one could still smell the smoke as people would walk by the a/c unit smoking.

The hotel also does not have enough parking space for all hotel rooms. We were sure to be back early and to park and then walk three blocks down to Superior Street so we'd have a parking spot inside the hotel area. Otherwise, it was parking up behind the hotel in a gravel lot that just screamed, "do not leave anything of any value in your car".

As my title says, this part of Duluth looks to be having a revitalization occurring. From the photo on the front page here, the building just beyond the BW is the OLD Carnegie Library building which is not in use any longer, or so it appeared. The next block contained the old high school, built of the same rock, which we could not tell if it was in use any longer or not. Walking down the various streets was a good way to see a part of the community most never see.

I would not cross this hotel off your list, just be aware of your surroundings, be aware of what you are getting and if you're fine with paying $113 instead of $200 a night for a hotel, then this IS your place!

Rooms are on a main level and an upstairs. No swimming pool, no restaurant, free basic breakfast, though hubby was disappointed there was no chocolate milk.

Room Tip: As for a hotel on the main level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for giving us a chance, and for sharing your detailed comments. We value all guest input and use it to improve our operation. Please accept my apologies for the conditions that you found not up to your expectations. The Carnegie Library (where I used to go as a child) is not in use currently, but the next building over, the old Central High School (where my father went, back in the day), is now the home for the Duluth School Board and some local non-profit and artistic organizations. We are lucky to live in the kind of town that didn't tear them down after they fulfilled their original functions. I hope you will allow us to serve you again the next time you visit Duluth.
Chetek, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed in many hotel's . This hotel is one of the worse I have seen. The ceiling in the room was wet from a leakage and part of the ceiling fell on the bed. The curtains were ripped and had a hole in them. The whole hotel and the room had a damp musty smell to it. The bed skirt was ripped and stained. The sheets, were wrinkled . I am by no means a picky person. I have been in the military for 22 years. The military has put me up at some bad hotels. But this one tops them all. I would not let my wife nor my mother stay here. We took our losses and stayed at a different hotel. This is maybe a 1-1.5 star. THIS IS DEFINATELY NOT A 2.5 STAR.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
I am very sorry for the conditions you found and for not meeting your needs during your recent visit to Duluth. Thank you for your service to our country and for taking the time to share your comments. I hope you found more suitable accommodations and were able to enjoy our city.
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I selected this Motel for its convenience to the casino and town and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was also very quiet. The room was very clean & comfortable and I slept very well despite facing the road. The breakfast room is quite small (as they often are) but was adequately equipped.
I was here for 4 nights and my only issue was that my bed was not properly made for my last night, but it was not a problem as I had a twin-bedded room, so used the other bed.
Overall, clean, quiet and very satisfactory.

Room Tip: As I was in a central location facing the road and was not disturbed I would guess that most, if not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your comments. I'm sorry your bed wasn't made on your last day, and hope you will accept my apologies. I've shared your review with our housekeeping team to emphasize the need for everyone to do their best job, every day, so this will not happen again. I'm glad you were happy with other aspects of your stay and hope you will let is serve you here again soon.

Been to The Downtown Duluth Motel? Share your experiences!