“Great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Chicago, Illinois
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was my second time staying at this Best Western. First time was a fantastic unplanned trip. I knew I'd be in Duluth in advance for this trip, and having many options in the downtown area I chose the Best Western again purely because of how great my previous stay was.

The staff there are some of the most personable people I've met in their industry. The prices are extremely fair, and it is so close to everything that I was able to walk throughout my stay.

The place is on the older side, but it's obvious they are being proactive about keeping up with the 21st century. The manager pointed out to me some of the updates they've been working on in one of our conversations. They had just installed new heaters in the rooms which I appreciated.

A fantastic place to stay for the price. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for someone looking for a pool, spa, or mint on their pillow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Thanks for choosing us again, and for posting your candid comments. You are our ideal guest - someone who is looking for great value, great location and great service. We'll be happy to welcome you back the next time you are in Duluth. Thanks again!

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

This was a lovely little room to stay one night to visit some colleges in the area. If I had to stay here longer, I would have liked a bigger room, and bigger bathroom, with quieter fan and air conditioner/heater. But overall a great experience for what I paid, and may consider coming back.

• Stayed October 2011
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and I hope your college visits went well. It was nice of you to take the time to post your comments. Size does matter, depending on how much time you plan on spending in the room versus out and about in the city and surrounding area. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you here.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I enjoyed this staying here. The room we got was spacious and quiet aside from the occasional child running up and down the stairs. The water for some reason didn't work when I woke up in the morning but did later on. The proximity to the rest of Duluth was very nice being that everything was within walking distance and meal options were close by too. The price was also great compared to other hotels in the area. If we are in the area again and looking for a place to stay we will definitely be looking at this Best Western as an option.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to make your recommendation - everyone here really appreciates it. I'm glad you were happy with the value and location of our motel and hope you will introduce yourself next time you are here so we can thank you in person.
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This motel is very old and very tired. There is no elevator and the carpeted stairs leading up to the second floor is worn and thin. All rooms are around the parking lot and it is located in an old section of town. The people working the desk, especially Reno, are very friendly and helpful. The price of the room came with a "sort of" breakfast. The hard boiled eggs are already peeled so we did not want to eat them. There is cereal, sausage, muffins, bagels and toast, juice and coffee. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was a good size, but the grout needed attention. The walls were paper thin and we could hear people coming in and out of their rooms and talking inside. There was no body lotion-just shampoo and conditioner and a hair dryer. The heater worked well. The price we paid $78, was just right!! There is a Raddison, Holiday Inn and other nicer places down on Canal Park that we would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
I'm sorry you were disappointed with our hotel during your recent visit, please accept my apologies. Thank you for sharing your comments, which give us a better perspective on what our guests are experiencing. Reno is terrific and inspires us all to do our best every day with every guest. I hope you will consider staying with us again when you are looking for a good value the next time you visit Duluth.
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

While an old motel, it was clean, quiet and the staff was very helpful. It is within walking distance to Canal Park, where there are many restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
I'm glad you were happy with your choice to stay with us - thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I will share your review with the rest of our team, as we all really appreciate the positive recognition of our work here. I hope we can serve you here again.
Fort Frances, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011 via mobile

For the single traveller or backpacker hiking through the area, this is an ideal motel to stay at. It's right in the centre of downtown, and there is easy access to Duluth Transit, and about four blocks from the Skyline Shuttle (minibus to Mpls./St. Paul). The YMCA is 2 blocks away, as is Canal Park and lots of restaurants. The rooms are small, and again, for the single traveller, this is ideal. I typically stay at hostels during my travels, and this is the closest you'll find in Duluth at an affordable rate. Do check the rates during various times and see what they are, as they tend to change.

• Stayed July 2011
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I'm so glad you found us and enjoyed your stay enough to write about it, thank you . I remember the security, simplicity and cameraderie of hostel stays and really like your comparison. Please let us know when you will be back so we can welcome you in person.
MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We were going to town for a concert, and wanted to turn it into a mini-vacation with our adult daughters, so decided to stay overnight. Knowing how hard it can be to find rooms in Duluth on summer weekends, we reserved this one months ahead of time. It was an older "motor court" type 2-story brick motel with a tiny (think San Francisco-sized) parking lot. The room was a basic 2-double-bed with bath arrangement, clean enough but the bathroom grout could use some scrubbing & renewing. It was very noisy-every word, every vehicle, every door-slam in the place echoed through the courtyard & into our room.
For this type of room, I would normally expect to pay about $80/night when we travel, but in Duluth it cost $150 with taxes included. If I had it to do again, I would have paid the extra $30 for a nicer place - with corridors, real parking, and maybe a pool. The only saving grace was the very busy & very personable desk clerk, Reno.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the price and welcome the opportunity to make this right, if you want to contact me directly. Reno is terrific, and I'm glad you were pleased with the service you received here.

Been to BEST WESTERN Downtown Motel? Share your experiences!