“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The water park was great, but the room was awful! The rooms haven't been updated in years and were disgusting. Cleaned on the surface, but there was a layer of grim behind the shades as well as floora that I didn't want to be in barefeet. For the money, I expected a lot more. I would recommend a daily swim pass and NOT spending the money to stay overnight. You can get a beautiful room in Canal Park for the same price and you'll have breakfast (here was a rip off) included as well as a CLEAN room. I would not stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Kimberly G,

I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with us during your recent stay and apologize for any discomfort you experienced here. Our goal is to provide all guests with excellent service and accommodations and we take it very seriously when find that we have fallen short. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation and hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust in the future.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Twin Cities, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure that all of glowing reviews of this hotel (written by "1 Review" members) are fake. I tried to book other hotels in Duluth, hoping to get one in the Canal Park area, but they were fully booked by the time we decided to take this trip. So I figured that this hotel couldn't be too bad, right? We were traveling with two kids. We had a bunk bed in the room. They liked the water park. There were two TVs in the room and they were flat screen. Those were the positives. The negatives? Their pillows feel like someone stuffed individual cotton balls into a pillow case. Their blankets look like they are 20 years old and their sheets are about that old as well. Wait. So is the carpet and all the other decor. The walls are paper thin, so you'll hear every conversation, sneeze and cough from out in the hallway. We were given a room that faced the water park and we heard everything going on in there until the water park closed at 10pm. And again when it reopened at 8am. Our room was never cleaned, even though we left it from 8am and only returned at 4pm. When I brought out our dirty towels into the hallway and looked for clean towels, I asked a housekeeping staff member why our room still hadn't been cleaned and she replied that they didn't get to it. Seriously?? Hire more housekeeping staff and CLEAN THE ROOMS. I thought that was Hotel Management 101. Seriously one of the poorest experiences I've ever had at a hotel. At check-out, the front desk staff member didn't ask me how my stay was. Because I was ready to let her know. Not surprised, since I'm sure she only hears negative comments!

Room Tip: Room 1421 is horrible. Faces water park, is very loud and walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Karen H,

I am truly sorry for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced and offer my sincere apologies that we didn't do a better job of demonstrating our commitment to guest satisfaction. Timely feedback from you and other valued guests is very important to us, and it is used in discussions and training to improve our operation. We do want to learn more details about your visit and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this further and make amends. I hope we can regain your confidence.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my family over the weekend. We had tickets for day out with Thomas which my son really enjoyed. My hotel stay cost $400 just for a standerd room for two nights that didn't include breakfast ... I really think the price was unreasonable, we spent maybe a hour in the waterpark other than that we were barely there. We had a great time in duluth but everything is too expensive just for 3 people. Plus when I checked in I was charged another $44 in tax on my bill...

Dear Cassandra A,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review.We believe that our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our location and extensive facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet your expectations, and for that I am truly sorry. i hope you will have a chance to spend more time in our wonderful waterpark and that you will let us know what you think the next time you are here.

Guest Relaitons
Columbia, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

When we got to the hotel we did not get the room booked. They called it an upgrade, but the extra room was not needed. There was also a whistling sound throughout the night from something. I would have much rather had a better view.(We were on the first floor) The staff was very good..just a little understaffed in places, bar and grill. The room was expensive but my child enjoyed the water park. Parking was also an issue, always full. I really enjoyed the stay, and you better like children to stay here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear buschnco,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your nice review. i'm sorry you were unhappy with your room and offer my apologies for the discomfort you experienced. Our goal is to provide all guests with excellent service and accommodations and we take it very seriously when find that we have fallen short. I'm glad you and your family were happy with our waterpark and other aspects of your stay and appreciate you including those comments in your review. I hope you will be our guest again.

Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

All I can say is WOW! Great Hotel and the Waterpark is wonderful. The staff, incredible!!! Super for Families, seniors, everyone. We stayed during the Bayfront Blues Festival. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Room Tip: If possible ask for Lakeside room. View of Lake Superior and the lights of the city at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear James M,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. You, and guests like you, make our jobs of providing the best in service, accommodations, amenities and facilities very rewarding. We really appreciate your compliments and look forward to serving you and your family here many more times.

minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our family of 4 had a great experience last week. We had not been to the resort in a few years and received a free upgrade to a suite from a Lakeview Balcony. The room was spacious, clean and ready before 1500. Try to book well in advance and ask for the third or fourth floor. Although we enjoyed the hot breakfast still would prefer the complimentary continental breakfast of years past.

The availability of the waterpark at noon on the day of arrival is a major plus.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear john h,

Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us and for posting your great review. We value your business and your feedback, which we use to make improvements to our guest experience. We appreciate your complements and hope you will continue to let us know how we can best serve you during your future visits.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My family includes a five year old and a three year old. My boys love to go to A Day Out With Thomas every August. The past two years we have stayed at The Edgewater. It's the perfect hotel for families with small kids. This year we had a room on the third floor with a patio and a great view of the lake. We were able to watch the ships. I feel like the furniture is a bit dated, but that's not why I stay here. The room was clean.
I found the hotel to be clean. It's a fairly expensive hotel, but you are paying for the amenities. Where else can you stay with this waterpark, outdoor pools, outdoor park, a bounce house, mini golf and an arcade? The exercise room is fantastic. What a view! On Fridays and Saturdays they play a movie outside by the pool this is pretty cool!
The cons? The in room coffee was horrible. Each time I went by the new coffee shop in the lobby (3 times) there had a sign up that they had stepped away. I went to Dunns Brothers across the street. (No big deal) Sunday night was a bit loud out in the hallways, but it didn't bother us. You have to remember this is not the hotel for you for business travel. It's all kids. I had promised my kids ice cream all day. At 8pm we went to the tiki cafe and my kids point to the ice cream they wanted (the posters were up showing all the favors) and we were told they only had one out of about 8 flavors left. Please put up notice if you run out. (Again I'm not saying this ruined our trip)
The waterpark is fantastic! Lots of space, warm water, warm towels and attentive lifeguards. They have life vests for use.
We will be back again next August. My five year calls it "our vacation home." They love it, and my husband and I have a good time with our boys. Thanks

Dear Joydancer23,

Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to write and post your nice review. We take a great deal of pride in our people and operations and endeavor to deliver a terrific experience to every guest. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and appreciate your compliments. I'm sorry we let you down about the coffee and ice cream and offer my apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced. I will share your comments with our team so they can make any necessary changes to their procedures. We value your business and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you and your family here again.

Guest Relations

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!