“Great place for kids” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
“Great place for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My family includes a five year old and a three year old. My boys love to go to A Day Out With Thomas every August. The past two years we have stayed at The Edgewater. It's the perfect hotel for families with small kids. This year we had a room on the third floor with a patio and a great view of the lake. We were able to watch the ships. I feel like the furniture is a bit dated, but that's not why I stay here. The room was clean.
I found the hotel to be clean. It's a fairly expensive hotel, but you are paying for the amenities. Where else can you stay with this waterpark, outdoor pools, outdoor park, a bounce house, mini golf and an arcade? The exercise room is fantastic. What a view! On Fridays and Saturdays they play a movie outside by the pool this is pretty cool!
The cons? The in room coffee was horrible. Each time I went by the new coffee shop in the lobby (3 times) there had a sign up that they had stepped away. I went to Dunns Brothers across the street. (No big deal) Sunday night was a bit loud out in the hallways, but it didn't bother us. You have to remember this is not the hotel for you for business travel. It's all kids. I had promised my kids ice cream all day. At 8pm we went to the tiki cafe and my kids point to the ice cream they wanted (the posters were up showing all the favors) and we were told they only had one out of about 8 flavors left. Please put up notice if you run out. (Again I'm not saying this ruined our trip)
The waterpark is fantastic! Lots of space, warm water, warm towels and attentive lifeguards. They have life vests for use.
We will be back again next August. My five year calls it "our vacation home." They love it, and my husband and I have a good time with our boys. Thanks

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Joydancer23,

Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to write and post your nice review. We take a great deal of pride in our people and operations and endeavor to deliver a terrific experience to every guest. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and appreciate your compliments. I'm sorry we let you down about the coffee and ice cream and offer my apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced. I will share your comments with our team so they can make any necessary changes to their procedures. We value your business and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you and your family here again.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Fort Frances, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I booked the hotel for myself, husband and 2 year old. Silly me, I called on a long weekend, but the girl was still friendly and patient. I was instantly impressed. I asked to rent a crib, just for ease of travelling. I got a reminder e-mail promoting the breakfast, so I called and had it added to the room. Again, very friendly. I was super excited! This is about 3 hours from our home, and check in is at 3. I called at 10 en route, and explained that my toddler needed a nap and if there was any way we could check in around 1 (since check out is noon, I didn't see this as unreasonable, and was willing to pay a little extra if needed). The manager jumped on the phone and said it wasn't impossible, but call when we get closer, and he'd put our room on a rush. We came in at 1:30 to check in, and instantly, I felt like just another number. I re-told my conversation, and I got a snooty"we can't guarantee a room until 3" end of discussion.
So at 3:03, we walked in to check in (I was a little miffed, but I'll get over it) and the girl had to radio a cleaning lady to make sure our room was done (thank goodness that manager put a rush on it...) when we got to the room, the crib wasn't there. I called down and I did politely ask(honest, I didn't have a hint of annoyance. I didn't want my trip ruined over a nap), and I got a snotty "it's already on the way" we made our way down to the park, and by 5 it still hadn't shown up. Yup, I was upset at this point.
That aside, you are just another body here, the breakfast is a continental breakfast you have to pay for and where our room was, would have been quicker to get to the Perkins next door, and for a little more, would have been more satisfied. My little one had fun, and slept great. The room amenities were great. Oh, and the breakfast I pre-ordered never was added when I called, but they didn't double charge, so that's a plus.
My four stars are based on what we made it and the room/water park amenities. If it was solely based on staff interactions, I would never stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear liskeardlady,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post the details of your recent experience with us. A good stay begins with an efficient reservation procedure providing the accommodations you expect. I am sorry that we did not deliver as we promised and apologize for the inconvenience and frustration we caused. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were. We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest comfort and satisfaction before everything else, and take it very seriously when we learn of any guest disappointment. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can show you our dedication to guest satisfaction.

Strasbourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed for 1 night and loved the experience .As grandparents we had 2 grand daughters to entertain and the Waterpark was the perfect place. It was lots of fun and the breakfast was wonderful.Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: On the 2nd floor the balcony over the waterpark was useless because of a large pipe that ran across...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lorna M,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments. It is always gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you here again.

Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Was charged extra fees when told we wouldn't because we booked a year in advance. Internet did not connect at all. Loud people all hours of the night. Didn't clean the room for 3 days until asked. Outdoor hottub did not work. Breakfast no longer goes with the room have to pay extra now. Did not get the room that was promised to us. We have stayed in this hotel many years and have never been more disgusted than this year. We will definitely find a new place to stay from now on. The motels down in Canal park are the same price and cheaper than Edgewater is.

Room Tip: lakeside is the best if you are able to get there early enough to get lakeside.Then you can watch al...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear cmlistul23,

I am very sorry you were so unhappy with us during your recent visit and offer my apologies for the disappointment, discomfort, frustration and inconvenience you experienced. We are sorry we did not live up to the standards that you are used to from us and would like to make amends. Please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed here August 1-3. The hotel was nice and the staff were generally friendly, but I felt the layout of the hotel was not very good and that the staff, although friendly, were not very intune with what a family-friendly place should be like.
If you have a child with a stroller this place is very inconvenient and it is hard to get to the elevator from the first floor lobby as you have to go up a flight of stairs. We were fine as my child is older, but I saw a lot of parents struggling to get to the breakfast buffet, which was really far away from the main building. When we checked in we were put into a room right next to the conference center and I learned there was a band playing there the next night until midnight. This would not work for me and my 3-year-old and I felt the staff should not have put us in the room in the first place knowing there would be music there. We had to move the next day, which worked out OK but was a bit annoying as it required me to pack and put all our stuff into a luggage cart. Not what you want to be doing in the morning on a short weekend trip.
Overall the place was clean and staff attentive, but not as intuitive for creating a good experience for families as they should be given their clientele. I would not recommend staying here to anyone who has multiple children and/or needs a stroller and doesn't want to walk far due to the poor design of the buildings. Also they advertised free wifi but my tablet did not work the whole trip.

Room Tip: Bes sure to ask if you're staying next to the conference center on a weekend.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear 74NRO,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry you didn't have a better experience here and apologize for the frustration and inconvenience we caused. We are looking at making significant changes to our physical layout because it is difficult to navigate and get around. Our team should have been more attuned to your needs and I will share your review with them so we can make improvements to our operation. I hope you will stay with us again so you can give us another chance to demonstrate our dedication to guest satisfaction on a future visit.

Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

At this hotel I always have a blast. With a huge waterpark, buffet breakfast and plenty of outdoor activities I always try and stay here whenever I come to Duluth. Although I haven't been here in a couple years, it has started to become more pricey to stay there. It used to be a great place to get a good bang for your buck.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Nathan J,

Thank you very much for your many visits and for posting your nice review about your experiences here. I'm glad you know you can count on us for an enjoyable stay with plenty of fun things to do. We look forward to serving you here again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Enjoyed our time with many activities for the kids. The breakfast buffet was nice with lots of choices and a good value! The lady tending the lounge area in the evenings was super nice and friendly!!! Waterpark was clean and water was warm. Loved our view of the ships on the lake from our room balcony.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Funwithmama,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and posting your nice review. We value all guest feedback and it is always gratifying when it is as positive as yours. I'm glad you and you family enjoyed your time here and we really appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Guest Relations

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!