“3 rooms in 24 hours” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Waterloo, Iowa
“3 rooms in 24 hours”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I am writing in regards to my stay at the Edgewater hotel April 4, and 5 2014. first let me say that I can only afford one vacation a year, and this one we scheduled to coincide with my husbands birthday which was Saturday April 5.when I made my reservation on Orbitz.com I was not made aware that there was a room tax of $24.40 per night, we arrived at the hotel at approximately 10:30 pm, and were told a total of almost $60 more than what I was quoted on Orbitz. since it was so late we paid, in cash, the total bill so that we could sleep somewhere. we were given room #1421. as we entered the room everything seemed to be in order so we unpacked and got into bed. approximately 30 minutes later my youngest daughter said mom I'm getting wet. so I got up and turned on the light. sure enough the ceiling above her was leaking down on her. we called down to the front desk and were told they would send a maintenance person up. when the maintenance guy showed up he looked at the leak and said looks like its been leaking for some time. he said he would go down to the front desk and get us moved, this was at 11:45pm. about 10 minutes went by and no word, so we called down to the front desk and were informed that the hotel was booked and they were calling management to figure out where to put us. 15 more minutes went by it was now after midnight and no word so we called down AGAIN. they told us they were moving us to room 1423, right next door, so we packed everything up and moved over to the new room, got situated and went to bed. The next day at about 11:30 we were enjoying the water park when our name was called over the intercom to come to the front desk, so I went upstairs, dripping wet and cold from swimming, to see what they needed. the kid at the front desk said no one called me up there. so I went back down to the waterpark. 5 minutes later I was called to come to the front desk again, this time I went to the food bar in the waterpark to see what was going on and the young man there called up to the front desk to see if I was really needed or not. I was told the manager was waiting for me. so I walked BACK upstairs, wet and cold, to see what I was needed for. this is when the manager informed me that the room they moved us to was booked for the night and they needed us to move our things AGAIN FOR THE 3RD TIME. this time down to room 1309. needless to say I was very unhappy about this, mostly because your company was taking time form my enjoyment of my vacation due to an issue not of my own doing. so we spent 40 minutes packing everything up and moving down a floor to another room. after moving my husband asked to speak to a manager at the front desk, and the kid there said he would be able to help, my husband told him how unsatisfied he was with having to move for a third time and felt we should be compensated for it, the young man at the front desk replied well we did compensate you by giving you a more expensive room to sleep in last night at no additional charge.to say I was stunned at that comment and his total lack of apology is putting it mildly. I've never been treated so rudely in my life. he was not accommodating at all. I would hope that in the future you could train your employees a little better on customer service, because that man knows none of it at all. so basically we lost nearly 2 hours of our time from sleep and enjoyment at the waterpark, because #1 your roof is defective, and #2 we weren't informed when we were moved the first time that we would be needing to move again. if I had known that I wouldn't have unpacked all our things, just to have to repack the next day. We spent nearly $500 to stay for 2 days at your establishment, and I will say that it was not worth it at all. our treatment was terrible, and not one of your managers contacted us or at any time apologized for the inconveniences they supplied.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear sawiggley,

I know we have been in touch with you personally and believe that we have resolved the issues you experienced while you and your family were here to your satisfaction. If that is not the case, please contact me directly via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your earliest convenience so we can make this right for you. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered here.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We took our family of 8 to this hotel for spring break. It was pricey, by the kids were really enjoying it. Nice room & clean. Our stay turned into disaster when our 20 month old suffered 1st & 2nd degree burns down her leg & had to be rushed to Urgent Care, after we went to pull open the micro wave door & the whole micro came out of the slot & the boiling water poured onto her leg. This hotel hosts a lot of children & I would think safety should be #1. If the micro had been screwed down or secured in some other fashion, this never would have happened. I filled out the survey on the hotel explaining what happened & asked that they contact us about this issue. It's been 3 weeks & I have not heard a thing. They do however send e-mails for us to spend more money & stay with them again. Very disappointed in their lack of care .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Silvering03,

I am truly sorry that we have not been in touch with you about this horrible incident, and have forwarded your contact info to our General Manager and Director of Guest Services for immediate attention. Guest safety and comfort are very important to us and we take these responsibilities very seriously. I understand your frustration and and disappointment and hope you will give us the opportunity to discuss this personally.

Maple Plain, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our family's 2nd stay at Edgewater and we had another great experience! Both times we have stayed mid-week to A) save a little money and B) hope that it isn't as crowded. There were 4 adults and one child in our group so we opted for a 2-room suite and it worked for us VERY well and was a bit more cost effective than getting 2 separate rooms. The waterpark is perfect for our son (6 years old) and he probably loved the vortex pool best - which we haven't seen at other waterparks we've stayed at... The first time we stayed at Edgewater breakfast was included, which always is a nice feature (even if it's cold cereal and bagels, it still helps with planning and packing food). However, Edgewater no longer includes that - you are offered a deal if you sign up beforehand for breakfast, but we didn't want to spend the money... Overall, our family had another great getaway...

Dear Sadie K,

Thanks for coming back to us and taking the time to post your great review and 5 star rating. We take a great deal of pride in our people and operations and endeavor to deliver a terrific experience to every guest. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again soon.

Hibbing, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We recently stayed at the Edge. Bad experience, waited for over an hour for our room, when we were told it would be a few minutes. Decided after an hour to go to the front desk to check if ready, they said soon. We waited to head to waterpark thinking any minute our room would be ready, making grandson very upset. The price for breakfast is ridiculous overpriced and the staff was rude at breakfast place. Go back to what you had before!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Stephanie H,

I am very sorry to that you were so disappointed in us during your recent stay with us and hope you will accept my apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced during check in, and at breakfast. We'd like the opportunity to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this conversation personally. I hope you will give us the chance to regain your trust.

Sartell, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We enjoyed staying at the Edge last weekend. The waterpark staff made sure the kids felt safe on the tube slide. The room was beautiful and the heater was perfect... we were hot when we were going to the waterpark and cold when we got back and so we were able to adjust the room temp and it worked perfectly. The lounge at night had awesome drink specials.
And the breakfast was amazing. The selection and the wonderful wait-staff were so helpful and courteous! We were very impressed with the selection of foods, drinks, etc at the breakfast.
We even saw that they drain and refill the hot tub on a Saturday night and put fresh chemicals. None of our swimsuits stained or smelled like strong chlorine compared to other waterparks we have been to.

Room Tip: If you ask if your room can be upgraded a little, the staff will help you if they can. We were with...
Dear Jana N,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your detailed review about the time you and your family spent for the birthday party. Guest safety and comfort are top priorities with us and we take these responsibilities very seriously. We want all our guests to enjoy themselves and really appreciate your compliments and recognition of jobs well done by our team. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again soon.

st paul minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We love coming to the Edgewater, and have for years, we were a little disappointed the didn't have the free breakfast anymore. We decided to try the breakfast at the hotel. It was GREAT. There was plenty to chose from. They had an egg, ham , cheese dish that was tasty. Build your own oatmeal and yogurt areas with all kinds of nuts, fruits, and even some chocolate for those that have to have that. My daughter loved the big potato pieces, bacon and Mac and cheese. I ate my favorite breakfast thing biscuit's and gravy, yum!! Biscuits light fluffy and delicious. The staff was attentive but they are not waiters. So tell them if some things out and the quickly refill it. We will be eating there again tomorrow before we leave Duluth back to St Paul. Thanks Edgewater for the new breakfast!

Room Tip: We love the lake side balcony rooms! Perfect for a relaxing place to sit and watch the ships come th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear kt3471,

Thank you very much for your many visits and for posting your wonderful review about our new breakfast. We are working very hard to make the breakfast a good value and enjoyable experience for all our guests, and we really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you are happy with the changes and improvement we make and look forward to serving you and your family here again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

A pleasurable, fun getaway for families. Waterpark was a hit with the kids. Plenty of options with the pool, slides, arcade and spas. Will be coming back for sure in the fall to take advantage of the outdoor mini golf, pool and spa! Rooms were very comfortable, not noisy even overlooking the waterpark. Check in was a lengthy process, very busy. Coffee and/or water in lobby would've been nice for guests. A bit spendy, but worth it for the fun we had!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear leeislovinlife,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your comments. I'm sorry for the lengthy check in process, and hope you will accept my apologies. We value your business and your feedback, which we will use in discussions and training to improve our operation. I'm glad you were happy with your room and the waterpark, and hope you will let us serve you here again.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!