“fun for the kids, but room not ready at check in for 2 hours” 4 of 5 stars

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #16 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay, Canada
“fun for the kids, but room not ready at check in for 2 hours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

this is a good hotel for a get away. the water park is great for the kids, the pizza is really good. Duluth is a great place to hang out for the weekend. we arrived at check in and had to wait almost 2 hours for a room. the line at the reservation desk was out the door. seemed to be a problem the entire week. it was very inconvienient and although the hotel provided a few little things as a result, we lost our night to play in the waterpark by the time we unpacked and had dinner. very disspointed. seemed to happen to many, many families that week. they do not have the continental breakfast any longer, but a buffet...we had it and it was terrible. go to Perkins next door. my kids wouldn't even eat it.

Room Tip: great view of the lake
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear paddle41,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review. I am very sorry about the long wait you had on check in, and the you were unhappy with our new all you can eat breakfast buffet. We'd like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. I hope you will give us a chance to regain your trust.

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with my family. We will not be going bak anytime soon. The first night we were there it was 80 degrees in our room. It wasn't fixed until 500 the next day. We had to pay for brekfast, we were double charged..paid cash and It also was put on our room bill. They would not take it off, so we paid 80.00 for breakfast for two mornings. The male manager was not very good on check out. He accused me of calling on three different stays to complain about the heat in the room...I have only ever stayed there once before and never complained. He then realized this and said..oh wait...that was three times this stay. He never apologized for the accusation!! Very disappointing family vacation in that respect!! If you stay I would recommend requesting a room away from the pool, not having breakfast there...and double checking your bill!!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear MK M,

Please accept my apologies for the unprofessional treatment and discomfort you had during your stay with us. We want all our guests to be happy they stayed with us and take it very seriously when we fall short. We are under the impression that we have corrected the errors on your bill, but if that is not true, please contact me immediately via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can make things right. I hope you will give us the chance to serve you here again.

Goodland, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We took a weekend family getaway to the Edgewater for a simple winter vacation. We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite. The good stuff: Having the 2 bathrooms with 2 showers was very nice for all 7 of us, one bath has a tub for little ones. The king bed is huge and could sleep 2 adults and a small child if need be. The water park has a cute theme and long hours, which is a bonus. Now for the not so good... the large room that slept 6 was well aired and a good temp, but the smaller room with the king bed was very stuffy, dry and HOT. No matter how low we set the thermostat, that room would not cool down or get any air flow in it. Also, I did not like the buffet breakfast idea. $12 plus tax/person and no discount for small children. My 3 yr old ate a bowl of cold cereal each morning, not worth $12. Also, breakfast is just chaos - people were being funneled in with not enough tables and chairs to seat them and they were always out of something. The first morning they were out of muffins & cinnamon rolls and ran out of bacon and the chefs special while we were there. The second morning there was no coffee creamer, cold coffee, and no napkins. I can see charging $8 at most - there's oatmeal and cold cereal, a yogurt parfait bar with muffins and cinnamon rolls, coffee, juice and milk and at the hot buffet there was scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, chef's special (a pasta dish both days), bacon and pigs-in-a-blanket. Not enough choice and variety to justify $12. Also, to get to the breakfast room you have to go through a maze of hallways and down steps, the only way to make it handicap accessible is to walk outside in the cold and on the ice - not very convenient or safe. The water park has hard texturized concrete surfaces which led to everyone in our group getting bloody scrapes on knees, elbows and wrists. Much prefer the spongy surfaces that many water parks have. Also, if you do order from the hotel cafe, they do not do room service, so you have to trek down there to get your food. Again, for the rates being charged, room delivery would be nice. Overall, everyone had fun, but for $600 for a two night stay and then adding on another $100 for breakfast it's not worth the money and we'll find somewhere else to go next year.

Dear Heather M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your candid comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you were happy with your room and the waterpark, and that your family enjoyed your time there. I am sorry about the discomfort you experienced from the heater and hope you will accept my apologies. I'm sorry, too, that you were disappointed with our new breakfast buffet, which costs $11.99 for two people. We will certainly take your review into account as we continue to evaluate and improve our operation. We'd like the opportunity to make this right for you and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. Please consider giving us another chance to earn your business.

Fort Frances, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We booked a family room in the "tower" and it was more expensive but worth it for the convenience. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the water park and it was fine for noise since the park closed at 10pm anyways. Before the park opened though a lifeguard woke us all up by taking chairs off of tables. Each chair was a bang bang bang bang. At 7 am. Not actually appreciated. The hotel room was nice and clean, the linens were clean and fresh smelling and not worn or old. The drapes were stained with brown streaks near the bottom (yuck). The bunk bed was sturdy and nice. The beds were comfortable enough. The bathrooms had no mold or grossness. (we stayed in the tower, I can't speak for the other locations) Wifi was strong at our location.
The pool area was clean, the lifeguards were obviously doing their jobs, in constant motion and actively overseeing the commotion. It was a busy time so the area was pretty hopping but for having so many kids the park was big enough that we could enjoy without the packed feeling. The kids structure was nice but the big dumping bucket that went often was pretty forceful so not so great for the wee little ones. The slides were high and fast, the single rider slide was pretty painful so only went down once. The joints felt like they were skinning me as I went over them. Was thankful to get down and not actually have a bloody back. The tube slide was good though so went on that with the kids. often. The lazy river was nice. The play pool was fun for the kids. Some of them got a bit out of hand and a lady my hubby was talking to got here glasses knocked off and broken right there. Kind of disappointing for her. The balls with the nets were still enjoyed by the kids. The floating sea creature walk across thingy was fun for the kids and challenging too. They really enjoyed this feature. The convenience of food right there was nice. prices weren't out of this world. (always cheaper to go elsewhere though) Lots of seating but some really dark areas, could stand a bit more light in those. Pool towels were always available when I needed them and it seemed as though that was an ongoing constant work in progress, which is good. The water temps were good. Hot tub wasn't very hot. The stairs leading to the pool were pretty messy and the other stair wells all looked like they were suffering from ground in dirt since the first impression was yuck for bare feet. The murals are great. The staff we met was friendly.
Breakfast. Cant imagine why they would take away an included free breakfast. that is one of the things we typically look for in a hotel to cut down on our travel cost each day. So we still paid almost 30 bucks for breakfast because we bought it with our booking. It was ok, just not sure it was worth the cost as we have picky eaters and stingy eaters. So I would strongly suggest bringing back a simpler breakfast that is included. Our first day with the breakfast buffet was good the second not so much. I couldn't eat the pancakes because I couldn't even cut them they were so hard and the bottom of the cinnamon rolls were hard as well. (no little plates for them or the muffins on day two) the staff was friendly and actively cleaning up. So for the price? not thrilled actually. If it were included I wouldn't be as picky.
Would suggest staying in the tower, would suggest weekdays if possible and am glad we came. (at least once, from now on we will go elsewhere for cheaper)

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower facing the lake are the best choice. Then you don't have any of the pool noi...
Dear 2sweet4umarie,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We value all guest feedback and use it to make changes and improvements here. The new breakfast is a result of research and guest feedback and I'm sorry you were disappointed. I can assure you that our breakfast team is working diligently to make it and excellent value for all guests. I will certainly work with our morning lifeguards to insure they do their set up in a much quieter manner. I hope you will give us a chance to regain your business the next time you are in Duluth.

New Prague, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We came here with 6 adults and 5 children. We were overly impressed with the lifeguards above everything else. Their attention to the children in the pool was absolutely awesome and made us feel very comfortable of their ability to do their job. We all noticed this and would come back for this reason alone.

Dear Curt L,

Thanks for your fantastic remarks and great rating! Guest safety and comfort are our top priorities, and we take these responsibilities very seriously. We're proud of our lifeguards and entire team here, and appreciate your recognition of jobs well done. We look forward to serving you here again.

Nesbit, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

In our annual pilgrimage to northern Minnesota, we make a point to down a night at The Egde. The staff knows how to make sure everyone is having fun and being safe, which allows parents to breathe and enjoy themselves too. I love coming to The Edge not only to release my inner child in a great water park, but to enjoy views of Lake Superior, roast some marshmallows and relax.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear dinnermintz,

Thanks for including us in your annual trips to our part of the country, and for posting your wonderful review. I'm glad you and your family were able to relax and enjoy your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again next year.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

From what I remember in my youth, this used to be the Best Western Edgewater; and has now converted to a pretty cool Polynesian themed park. For those that remember the "old days", it's a vast and dramatic improvement over the motel feel of the 80s and 90s. Kudos to the company for that!

We were there just this past weekend (March 7-9) and really enjoyed our stay. The arcade and waterpark kept my son and all the kids busy and the breakfast buffet was very good; everything from cereal and oatmeal to bacon and a rolled stuffed pancake! Our room had a bunk bed and seperate TV for our son and we had our own area as well.

Since we came on a weekend when the weather was finally warming up, and due to a couple of conventions/school exhibits in town the waterpark was very busy by 8pm on Saturday night and the food staff at the concession stand seemed to be a little overwhelmed; 30 min wait on two chesseburgers and a macaroni and cheese meal was a bit long. It also seemed that you could just walk into the waterpark without a wristband, since I saw a few people just walking in and hanging out with friends within the park itself.

I would have given this 5 stars, but due to the above and the long wait on food(which probably was an oversight on staffing or Last Minute Sick Call) I dropped it down one star.

We picked up some items in the gift shop and I can honestly say that having been a guest in that building 5 times now, I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Room Tip: If you are tired, try to stay away from the arcade/waterpark area. Lots of foot traffic and kids no...
Dear Eric C,

You are right, we used to be the Best Western Edgewater, and we're glad you like the many changes and improvements we've made to become the Edgewater you recently experienced. We appreciate your many visits over the years and value your input. I'm sorry for the wait you experienced at our grill and offer my sincere apologies. We strive to provide prompt and professional service to every guest and take it very seriously when we fail. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!