“Bad Experience. Won't Come Back.” 2 of 5 stars

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Bad Experience. Won't Come Back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here with our 5 year old last weekend. Let me say that the waterpark staff were very helpful and friendly and that the waterpark itself is very age appropriate for younger children. The maintenance worker who helped us with an issue in our room was very efficient and helpful as was the employee working the prize counter in the arcade. Unfortunately, these are the only positive comments that I can make about our stay here.

The front lobby area, along with the hallways themselves were absolutely freezing. I understand that it is winter time in MN, but I have yet to see any other front desk employees at other hotels wear winter jackets and stocking caps while checking people in. When we arrived, the small parking lot was already full along with the spaces on London Rd. I asked the clerk behind the desk if there were any other parking areas nearby at which time he stated "That can be a problem here." He said that we should be able to park on London Rd. When I informed him that I did not see any spaces out there either, I was basically ignored as he quickly changed the subject.

After finally locating a parking space on the other end of the complex, lugging our suitcases through the buildings and up the stairs (as the unloading area in front of the main building was jam packed with cars as well), and making our way to our room, I was extremely disappointed by the unclean conditions as there was popcorn all over the floor, a full garbage can, and a table that looked like it hadn't been wiped down in ages. One of the chairs had a big brown stain on it (I can only imagine what it may have been). That night I also found some type of black mold looking stuff all over one of the pillow cases on our bed. Nasty. Oh yeah, our alarm clock didn't work either, which wasn't a huge deal as we had alarm clocks on our cell phones. I was also surprised by the fact that I couldn't find any type of directory in the room listing hotel amenities , pool info/hours, Wi-Fi information, area attractions and restaurants, etc.

After waking up, we decided to try the breakfast buffet mainly because we had booked our room well in advance and had free passes. We had to wait for approximately five minutes, which was no big deal, before a table became available. The quality of the food was mediocre at best. The "host" appeared very flustered and disorganized. He called our names off of the list, but that was the only thing we heard from him as he was running around all over the place. We weren't sure whether to seat ourselves or wait to be seated. Finally he came up to us and directed us to a nearby table. Some of the catering employees working the buffet and clearing tables were less than pleasant as well. We obviously decided to go out for the breakfast the second morning.

We weren't expecting a five diamond hotel or a waterpark similar to that of Wisconsin Dells, but for the amount of money spent to stay here, I was expecting a little bit more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear 3621nre,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. We value your feedback appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. Regarding all the other issues you mention, I am truly sorry and offer my apologies. We want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and to receive excellent service and accommodations. We take it very seriously when we fall short and learn of a guest's disappointment, such as yours. We will use your review in discussions and training to make improvements to our operation, and hope you will consider giving us another chance to redeem ourselves on future visit. We'd like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, so we can do what we can to make amends. We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Cloquet, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We held my daughter's 11th birthday party here with 5 of her closest friends for a waterpark slumber party in The Edge's two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite. Worked perfectly. We parents had our own space and bathroom and the girls felt like they had their own room and bathroom which was very much needed with six girls showering and putting on make-up!

The room was a tad spendy but then again - it was housing 8 people and entertained the kids all day and night so worth every penny and with the complimentary breakfast buffet that we received that weekend - very worth while and yummy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear MisterBrick,

Thanks for posting your positive review about your stay here for your daughter's birthday. I'm glad you found the room to be comfortable and a good value for your money. I hope we can serve you here again.

Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Been to alot of Hotels around the country, and the Edge has been the best. Ok...parking can be a hassle. But other than that, these people run a class act. Very polite, the make my kids feel welcome. The Waterpark is very nice. The breakfast buffett is a very nice touch. Everyone at the hotel smiles and enjoys what they are doing. We always get a little sad when we leave, but we know we will be coming back.

Room Tip: We prefer to be as close to the waterpark and game room as possible. It is surprisingly quiet in our...
Dear JeffGaffke,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your great review about us. It is always gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. Its guests like you that make our jobs of providing the best in service, accommodations, amenities and facilities very rewarding. We really appreciate your compliments and look forward to serving you and your family here again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We have been coming to the Edgewater ever since my husband and I were both little. We have seen it change over the years and really love the location. The view of the lake from our window is what we look foward to most. The waterpark is decent and the kids love to unwind. Our latest adventure to the Edgewater was for UMD vs UND hockey games and to celebrate my husband's bday. Long story short, I sent an e-mail to see if they could do anything special in our room to surprise my husband. He was very pleasantly surprised to come into the room filled with bday goodies. Truly made our weekend. Thank you very much for making our stay so special. We will indeed be back and continue our Thanksgiving tradition with the Edgewater and Bentleyville, however we would never do the breakfast or recommend it. I would much rather have the continental bfast before that came with the room. Very disappointing. We even received 2 free breakfasts and did not go back on Sunday.

Room Tip: 4th floor with a lake view. Breathtaking.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Lisa K,

Thanks for your many years of patronage, and for taking the time to share your comments about your experiences here. I'm so glad you were happy with our response to your request for something special for your husband's birthday and appreciate your kind words. We are constantly reviewing our breakfast service and options and really appreciate and value your feedback and input, which we will take into consideration during our discussions. We look forward to welcoming you back in November and hope you will enjoy your stay with us again.

Wyoming, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We have been to the Edgewater several times over the past few years. The kids always have an excellent time, and we all go home exhausted from all the family fun. We have always come in Jan/Feb, when we are going buggy from the long winter. Although I would say the rooms at times seem a little run down, they always seem well cleaned. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and tolerant of children. The water park is a lot of fun, and accommodates all age groups. If you come here though don't expect a quiet stay, It's very loud in the water park (as you'd expect), and the hallways can be busy and loud with the vast majority of people are excited children. We really enjoy this reasonably priced family of 6 getaway. Thanks for making this a fun, family friendly, and affordable place to take my family.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms on lake side.....louder rooms pool side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Jennifer and Er...L,

Thanks for posting your nice review about your many stays with us. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable (if a bit loud) stay and great service. We really appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you and your family back the next time you are here.

Mora, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Lets start out by saying this is not Wisconsin Dells. So if your expecting that kind of a waterpark experience don't fool yourself. That being said this is a great weekend or whenever waterpark experience...more so if you have little kids! This is a perfect place to take the little ones to get their wet n wild fix. Clean, cheap, and I've stayed in Vegas many times and not got this kind of service. I mean really! Everywhere we turned staff was bending over backwards to help us. Even on small problems these folks couldn't have been more helpful! I saw reviews about bad customer service and I don't know where these people stayed... wasn't this place. Was amazed by the people workin here doing everything they could to take care of me and my family. Not going into details, but there were a couple mix ups. And I was floored by how fast these folks took care of any problem. Had the new buy one get one breakfast buffet with 20% off if you buy ahead...no brain alert! Cheap!!! Works out to about 5 bucks per person. Tons of food, Had 6 of us in our family and Perkins or McDonalds cant even come close. Good times...Great value...worth the trip!!!

Dear tim t.

Thank you very much for writing and sharing your candid comments about your recent stay with us. We endeavor to give ever guest an excellent experience here and really appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. It's guests like you who make our jobs very rewarding. I'm glad you like our new all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, and that you found it to be a good value. I hope you will let us serve you here again soon.

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The new and improved breakfast- terrible. Cold Cereal bar wasn't there, when we asked about it we were told "it was a problem at the printers". False advertising. Don't waste your money on the breakfast. Go to Perkins! Good customer service, great food, and The Edge gives you a $5 off coupon for there, use it instead of wasting your money at the Edge.
We have stayed here a ton of times, and this was by far THE WORST. Very disappointed. Not sure if we will go back.
The water park and life guards though are AMAZING! Water park is great for young kids and life guards keep everyone very safe and are very friendly while doing it. The only good part about the hotel is the Life Guards and water park.
Their green policy of not washing your sheets and towels everyday is not to help the environment, it is to save them money. No where was there a place to recycle the cardboard pizza boxes. Or plastic bottles. Our toilet and sink faucet leaked the whole time we were there. They are concerned about their pocket book, not the environment.
I was an 'edgelover' and now I never want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear YoungFamilyB,

I am truly sorry you had such a bad experience with us this time, especially considering how happy you were here during your previous visits. We are very excited about our new freshly prepared daily 25 item, all you can eat breakfast buffet, and are disappointed you were unhappy with the selections and pricing, which is a great value for the many options available. We had some equipment problems that prevented us from having all the advertised items included while you were here, and the equipment is now fixed and all items are available. I'm sorry, too about the maintenance issues you encountered, and hope you will accept my apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort we caused. We have been in touch with you personally and are under the impression that you are satisfied with our response to you. If this is not the case, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will give us the chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!