“Great cheap getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Mora, Minnesota
“Great cheap getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Lets start out by saying this is not Wisconsin Dells. So if your expecting that kind of a waterpark experience don't fool yourself. That being said this is a great weekend or whenever waterpark experience...more so if you have little kids! This is a perfect place to take the little ones to get their wet n wild fix. Clean, cheap, and I've stayed in Vegas many times and not got this kind of service. I mean really! Everywhere we turned staff was bending over backwards to help us. Even on small problems these folks couldn't have been more helpful! I saw reviews about bad customer service and I don't know where these people stayed... wasn't this place. Was amazed by the people workin here doing everything they could to take care of me and my family. Not going into details, but there were a couple mix ups. And I was floored by how fast these folks took care of any problem. Had the new buy one get one breakfast buffet with 20% off if you buy ahead...no brain alert! Cheap!!! Works out to about 5 bucks per person. Tons of food, Had 6 of us in our family and Perkins or McDonalds cant even come close. Good times...Great value...worth the trip!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear tim t.

Thank you very much for writing and sharing your candid comments about your recent stay with us. We endeavor to give ever guest an excellent experience here and really appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. It's guests like you who make our jobs very rewarding. I'm glad you like our new all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, and that you found it to be a good value. I hope you will let us serve you here again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The new and improved breakfast- terrible. Cold Cereal bar wasn't there, when we asked about it we were told "it was a problem at the printers". False advertising. Don't waste your money on the breakfast. Go to Perkins! Good customer service, great food, and The Edge gives you a $5 off coupon for there, use it instead of wasting your money at the Edge.
We have stayed here a ton of times, and this was by far THE WORST. Very disappointed. Not sure if we will go back.
The water park and life guards though are AMAZING! Water park is great for young kids and life guards keep everyone very safe and are very friendly while doing it. The only good part about the hotel is the Life Guards and water park.
Their green policy of not washing your sheets and towels everyday is not to help the environment, it is to save them money. No where was there a place to recycle the cardboard pizza boxes. Or plastic bottles. Our toilet and sink faucet leaked the whole time we were there. They are concerned about their pocket book, not the environment.
I was an 'edgelover' and now I never want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear YoungFamilyB,

I am truly sorry you had such a bad experience with us this time, especially considering how happy you were here during your previous visits. We are very excited about our new freshly prepared daily 25 item, all you can eat breakfast buffet, and are disappointed you were unhappy with the selections and pricing, which is a great value for the many options available. We had some equipment problems that prevented us from having all the advertised items included while you were here, and the equipment is now fixed and all items are available. I'm sorry, too about the maintenance issues you encountered, and hope you will accept my apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort we caused. We have been in touch with you personally and are under the impression that you are satisfied with our response to you. If this is not the case, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will give us the chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I cannot say enough about what a wonderful hotel this is. Our room was beautiful and spotless. It was comfortable. The staff was very courteous. The waterpark was so much fun and the lifeguards are very attentive and professional. Thank you so much!!! We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear rachel b,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review of our hotel. It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and I am glad we exceeded your expectations. We really appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

A little getaway to Duluth with the kids provided an opportunity to try a new hotel. The kids needed a way to burn a little energy, so a watermark option was needed especially since this winter has been crazy cold.

Hotel: the room was your basic room with outside access. The staff was pleasant and willing to help make us comfortable. Basically clean and had most everything we needed including the mini fridge. We asked for a microwave location and they brought us one. That was better than expected.

Water park: this was a little smaller than expected, but the expectation was based on the Wisconsin Dells area, and this is NOT the Dells area. They did have a little bit of everything in the park and the water and air temperatures were very comfortable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Gplind007,

Thank you very much for staying with us and posting your nice review. We value all guest feedback and really appreciate your positive comments. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again.

Ishpeming, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

There are both advantages and disadvantages to this hotel.

The first thing I would say is this: if you have kids, stay here. If you don't have kids, or you're looking to spend a weekend away from the kids, DON'T stay here. I have stayed here just a few times -- once we actually paid for the room, and twice, we had free stay coupons to use up.

NEGATIVES:

The pool area is nuts. We have a pre-school aged son. He loved the water slides. I loved seeing him have fun, so I sucked it up and dealt with the hectic, noisy, chaotic pool area, but if it weren't for seeing him smile and squeal down that water slide, I wouldn't stay here.There were people going every which way, kids running around like crazy, adults with beers and margaritas, and it just feels like there's too much stuff in too small of a space and not enough separation between "kid stuff" and "adult time." The noise generated by all these kids and adults is insane. If you think you can go down to the pool to relax, you're sorely mistaken. The water slides are about the only redeeming factor in the water park.

I have to also talk about what happened during our first visit here, which was in early 2013. During the time we were there, there was bacteria found in the pool from fecal matter and some hotel guests ended up getting sick as a result. Luckily, we were not one of the infected people, however the thought is still disgusting. We were issued free-stay coupons as a result of the incident.

The other thing that is a big pain about this hotel is the layout. Talk about confusing! This hotel wasn't always a water park, so there's an older section of the building, a new section of the building that went up when the water park went up, and a completely separate building with another block of rooms. The elevators are extremely slow, and you're often times better off taking the stairs, unless hauling luggage to or from your room.

Now, I don't want to give a completely negative Nelly review, because there are some good things about the hotel.

POSITIVES:

The rooms are a nice size, and the family suites are huge. The bathrooms are also clean and have nice finishes, I.E. tile and vanity. There is plenty of room for your stuff and the rooms have fridges so you can bring in your leftover food.

The workout room is also well-utilized space. They have a full set of weights, full mirrors, a couple treadmills, water, towels, TV's, mats, and a bench. I used the workout room each time and had a good workout.

Once when we stayed here, we ate at the catered breakfast, located in the older section of the hotel. Although yes, it cost money, it was a very nice breakfast and we left full and satisfied with our meal. I believe it was $20 per room, so really if you had four or five people staying in a room, that's a good deal.

Also, in the warmer months, there is an outdoor pool area, mini-golf, and playground for kids. My son enjoyed that and it was close to the family suite.

OVERALL:

I am not sure that I could bring myself to recommend this hotel. Honestly, unless you're really patient and do not mind a ton of screaming, shouting kids, I don't think I would. Like I said, the only reason I've stayed here more than once is because we just wanted to use up the free-stay vouchers. Each time we just felt like we walked away with an okay stay overall.

I know my son loved the water slides, but he gets plenty of enjoyment out of regular swimming pools in hotels and I think that's probably what we'll do if we have to stay in Duluth in a hotel again. It's just too much chaos. I'll save the water parks and slides for another year or two and take him to Noah's Ark in Wisconsin Dells where at least the yelling kids are not enclosed in a pool area and echoing everywhere.

I almost feel bad giving a mostly negative review, but I just want to be honest so that other travelers know that this isn't all it's chalked up to be on billboards and in ads.

Room Tip: Family suites are roomy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear ageist856,

Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us and for taking the time to write your detailed and candid review. Yes, the waterpark can get loud, and we are made up of different buildings, and I do apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced. We really appreciate you mentioning some of the more positive aspects of your stay, too.

We are very excited about our new breakfast program, which is freshly prepared all you can eat buffet with over 25 hot and cold items, which we offer at the buy one, get one free price of $11.99 (so it's less than $6 per person) the day of, and if you want an even better deal, you can purchase it in advance at a 20% discount so two can eat for $9.59. We've had great response from our guests as we continue to make improvements here. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you here on a future visit to Duluth.

Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here many times I can't recommend it anymore- the prices are rising and the included amenities are dropping.
A note to future bookings that the included breakfast that used to be pretty decent but has declined to borderline-edible is now no longer going to be offered at all - instead of improving it at all you're simply going to be charged more for breakfast on top of the expensive room fee...

• Stayed November 2013
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Shuniah80,

Thanks for staying with us many times and for sharing your candid comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry you were disappointed with us this time and hope you will give us another chanced to serve you on a future visit.

We're changing our breakfast because we received a lot of feedback from our guests about how we did not have hot items and there was not enough space to seat everyone. We decided to move breakfast to our ballroom and have Savories Catering create great menu, including made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls, biscuits w/sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, ham, hash brown potatoes, hot oatmeal and a Chef's Daily Feature item. All of this is In addition to many more standard cold menu choices like yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, etc.

This new, expanded breakfast offering is $11.99, Buy One, Get One (BOGO) if purchased the same day as the breakfast, (so it's $11.99 for two people). If you buy in advance (anytime prior to the morning of) it's 20% off, so $9.59 for 2 people. There are no child prices, it's a straight $9.59 for 2 people children or adults. This is a freshly prepared, all-you-can-eat buffet from Savories Catering and we think it's a great value.

I hope you will let us know what you think of our improved breakfast, and the rest of your stay, the next time you are our guest.

Babbitt, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at the Edgewater for a medical stay for two nights. Room was too far from elevator. The first night was terrible. The temperature was -29 outside and the thermostat locked up in my room and the heat was off all night. When I complained to the staff in the morning they told me that the thermostat was set at 66 degrees and sometimes it locks up. I requested a new room which was much warmed but shouldn't have gone through that experience in the first place. Also, I was on the street side and had to listen to traffic all night after telling them I wanted a quite room. Not a good experience!!!!!

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to matter what type of room you request because they give you what they want to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Disappointedjan2014,

I am truely sorry you had a bad stay with us recently and offer my most sincere apologies for the discomforts and inconveniences you experienced due to the location of your room and the poorly functioning heater. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, so we can make amends. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!