“Crazy, loud, full of kids, and someone pooped in the pool.” 3 of 5 stars

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Ishpeming, Michigan
“Crazy, loud, full of kids, and someone pooped in the pool.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

There are both advantages and disadvantages to this hotel.

The first thing I would say is this: if you have kids, stay here. If you don't have kids, or you're looking to spend a weekend away from the kids, DON'T stay here. I have stayed here just a few times -- once we actually paid for the room, and twice, we had free stay coupons to use up.

NEGATIVES:

The pool area is nuts. We have a pre-school aged son. He loved the water slides. I loved seeing him have fun, so I sucked it up and dealt with the hectic, noisy, chaotic pool area, but if it weren't for seeing him smile and squeal down that water slide, I wouldn't stay here.There were people going every which way, kids running around like crazy, adults with beers and margaritas, and it just feels like there's too much stuff in too small of a space and not enough separation between "kid stuff" and "adult time." The noise generated by all these kids and adults is insane. If you think you can go down to the pool to relax, you're sorely mistaken. The water slides are about the only redeeming factor in the water park.

I have to also talk about what happened during our first visit here, which was in early 2013. During the time we were there, there was bacteria found in the pool from fecal matter and some hotel guests ended up getting sick as a result. Luckily, we were not one of the infected people, however the thought is still disgusting. We were issued free-stay coupons as a result of the incident.

The other thing that is a big pain about this hotel is the layout. Talk about confusing! This hotel wasn't always a water park, so there's an older section of the building, a new section of the building that went up when the water park went up, and a completely separate building with another block of rooms. The elevators are extremely slow, and you're often times better off taking the stairs, unless hauling luggage to or from your room.

Now, I don't want to give a completely negative Nelly review, because there are some good things about the hotel.

POSITIVES:

The rooms are a nice size, and the family suites are huge. The bathrooms are also clean and have nice finishes, I.E. tile and vanity. There is plenty of room for your stuff and the rooms have fridges so you can bring in your leftover food.

The workout room is also well-utilized space. They have a full set of weights, full mirrors, a couple treadmills, water, towels, TV's, mats, and a bench. I used the workout room each time and had a good workout.

Once when we stayed here, we ate at the catered breakfast, located in the older section of the hotel. Although yes, it cost money, it was a very nice breakfast and we left full and satisfied with our meal. I believe it was $20 per room, so really if you had four or five people staying in a room, that's a good deal.

Also, in the warmer months, there is an outdoor pool area, mini-golf, and playground for kids. My son enjoyed that and it was close to the family suite.

OVERALL:

I am not sure that I could bring myself to recommend this hotel. Honestly, unless you're really patient and do not mind a ton of screaming, shouting kids, I don't think I would. Like I said, the only reason I've stayed here more than once is because we just wanted to use up the free-stay vouchers. Each time we just felt like we walked away with an okay stay overall.

I know my son loved the water slides, but he gets plenty of enjoyment out of regular swimming pools in hotels and I think that's probably what we'll do if we have to stay in Duluth in a hotel again. It's just too much chaos. I'll save the water parks and slides for another year or two and take him to Noah's Ark in Wisconsin Dells where at least the yelling kids are not enclosed in a pool area and echoing everywhere.

I almost feel bad giving a mostly negative review, but I just want to be honest so that other travelers know that this isn't all it's chalked up to be on billboards and in ads.

Room Tip: Family suites are roomy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear ageist856,

Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us and for taking the time to write your detailed and candid review. Yes, the waterpark can get loud, and we are made up of different buildings, and I do apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced. We really appreciate you mentioning some of the more positive aspects of your stay, too.

We are very excited about our new breakfast program, which is freshly prepared all you can eat buffet with over 25 hot and cold items, which we offer at the buy one, get one free price of $11.99 (so it's less than $6 per person) the day of, and if you want an even better deal, you can purchase it in advance at a 20% discount so two can eat for $9.59. We've had great response from our guests as we continue to make improvements here. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you here on a future visit to Duluth.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Having stayed here many times I can't recommend it anymore- the prices are rising and the included amenities are dropping.
A note to future bookings that the included breakfast that used to be pretty decent but has declined to borderline-edible is now no longer going to be offered at all - instead of improving it at all you're simply going to be charged more for breakfast on top of the expensive room fee...

• Stayed November 2013
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Shuniah80,

Thanks for staying with us many times and for sharing your candid comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry you were disappointed with us this time and hope you will give us another chanced to serve you on a future visit.

We're changing our breakfast because we received a lot of feedback from our guests about how we did not have hot items and there was not enough space to seat everyone. We decided to move breakfast to our ballroom and have Savories Catering create great menu, including made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls, biscuits w/sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, ham, hash brown potatoes, hot oatmeal and a Chef's Daily Feature item. All of this is In addition to many more standard cold menu choices like yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, etc.

This new, expanded breakfast offering is $11.99, Buy One, Get One (BOGO) if purchased the same day as the breakfast, (so it's $11.99 for two people). If you buy in advance (anytime prior to the morning of) it's 20% off, so $9.59 for 2 people. There are no child prices, it's a straight $9.59 for 2 people children or adults. This is a freshly prepared, all-you-can-eat buffet from Savories Catering and we think it's a great value.

I hope you will let us know what you think of our improved breakfast, and the rest of your stay, the next time you are our guest.

Babbitt, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at the Edgewater for a medical stay for two nights. Room was too far from elevator. The first night was terrible. The temperature was -29 outside and the thermostat locked up in my room and the heat was off all night. When I complained to the staff in the morning they told me that the thermostat was set at 66 degrees and sometimes it locks up. I requested a new room which was much warmed but shouldn't have gone through that experience in the first place. Also, I was on the street side and had to listen to traffic all night after telling them I wanted a quite room. Not a good experience!!!!!

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to matter what type of room you request because they give you what they want to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Disappointedjan2014,

I am truely sorry you had a bad stay with us recently and offer my most sincere apologies for the discomforts and inconveniences you experienced due to the location of your room and the poorly functioning heater. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, so we can make amends. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My family, 2 adults, 2 kids, stayed here one night, in the main building, in a 2 queen bed, bunk bed room overlooking the pool. The room odor was chlorine scent (strong). The room was worn, the furniture very worn. The lighting was dim, the room was dull grey- just kind of depressing. Pool closed around 10pm. Unfortunately, we were surrounded by a girls' hockey team. Lots of noisy kids ran up and down the corridors until 11:45pm. Then the adults came up when the bar closed, noisily talking, laughing, calling to each other. We slept little. The breakfast was cereal, toast, tasteless, rubbery hard-boiled eggs, and chemical tasting donuts. All this for well over $200, including taxes. Management, could you please tell the adults in charge of these teams when they make their reservations and when they check in, that there is a "Please be Quiet" policy in the hallways past 11pm? And post a few signs saying the same. There are other reviews noting the noise level in similar situations, so obviously, reminders need to be made.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear janeandjay,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at our hotel. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and hope you will accept my apologies. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. I agree that we need to do a better job of keeping the corridors quieter at night and will work with our team to make improvements and changes to our procedures. We are constantly reviewing our breakfast items and appreciate your input. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Well me start by saying that the hotel staff was nice. We had to travel on business and spent Christmas in Duluth, Minnesota. When we first arrived to the hotel, we had to wait in line to check inn, the check in line was long, but I understood, this hotel is very busy. I felt the hotel layout was not that great, we got lost trying to find our way to our room. We only need 3 tickets, and had to purchase 4 tickets anyway, the front desk representative stated they only sell tickets in 2 or 4 packs. Since we were traveling with my daughter, we wanted to make it fun for her, so we chose this hotel. The room was nice, and we had a great view. the amenities are were decent. I was not impressed with the breakfast. I felt with the rate we were paying that it should have included a hot breakfast and not a continental breakfast..

We visited the waterpark resort, of course my daughter had a great time. The pool water was very cold, and the hot tub was luke warm. To purchase the tickets w/o the hotel was very pricy. I have visited several waterparks, and this waterpark is very overpriced. The snack bar was great. I did notice that lifeguards were all over the park. I will not be back.

Room Tip: My daughter enjoyed the hotel. I wish I did for the amount of money I was paying.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear fruityandnutty1,

I'm sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent visit and offer my sincere apologies. We want to provide all our guests with excellent service, accommodation, facilities and amenities at a reasonable price, and take it very seriously when we fall short. We would like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this discussion personally.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to the water park for a quick one night stay...as with other visits in past years, we had great service from our reservation to check out! The staff is always friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and well appointed, the lifeguards are very attentive and the water park is fun for a variety of ages. It's a handy location in Duluth as well. We will definitely be back. Thanks for a fun trip!

• Stayed January 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear juliekramer,

Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to post your great review. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a great stay and glad to know you had a fun time here. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are here.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

VERY attentive lifeguards, always on the move and focused. Family bathroom right in the waterpark and life jackets for kids. Our 3 young kids had a blast, and so did their 2 parents! Had a great stay Jan 1-3, highly recommend, and for sure will be back

• Stayed January 2014
Dear momto3oys,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your comments and 5 star rating. It is always our pleasure to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We value your business and your feedback, and really appreciate your strong recommendation. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!