“Value declining” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Value declining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here many times I can't recommend it anymore- the prices are rising and the included amenities are dropping.
A note to future bookings that the included breakfast that used to be pretty decent but has declined to borderline-edible is now no longer going to be offered at all - instead of improving it at all you're simply going to be charged more for breakfast on top of the expensive room fee...

• Stayed November 2013
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Shuniah80,

Thanks for staying with us many times and for sharing your candid comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry you were disappointed with us this time and hope you will give us another chanced to serve you on a future visit.

We're changing our breakfast because we received a lot of feedback from our guests about how we did not have hot items and there was not enough space to seat everyone. We decided to move breakfast to our ballroom and have Savories Catering create great menu, including made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls, biscuits w/sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, ham, hash brown potatoes, hot oatmeal and a Chef's Daily Feature item. All of this is In addition to many more standard cold menu choices like yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, etc.

This new, expanded breakfast offering is $11.99, Buy One, Get One (BOGO) if purchased the same day as the breakfast, (so it's $11.99 for two people). If you buy in advance (anytime prior to the morning of) it's 20% off, so $9.59 for 2 people. There are no child prices, it's a straight $9.59 for 2 people children or adults. This is a freshly prepared, all-you-can-eat buffet from Savories Catering and we think it's a great value.

I hope you will let us know what you think of our improved breakfast, and the rest of your stay, the next time you are our guest.

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Babbitt, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at the Edgewater for a medical stay for two nights. Room was too far from elevator. The first night was terrible. The temperature was -29 outside and the thermostat locked up in my room and the heat was off all night. When I complained to the staff in the morning they told me that the thermostat was set at 66 degrees and sometimes it locks up. I requested a new room which was much warmed but shouldn't have gone through that experience in the first place. Also, I was on the street side and had to listen to traffic all night after telling them I wanted a quite room. Not a good experience!!!!!

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to matter what type of room you request because they give you what they want to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Disappointedjan2014,

I am truely sorry you had a bad stay with us recently and offer my most sincere apologies for the discomforts and inconveniences you experienced due to the location of your room and the poorly functioning heater. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, so we can make amends. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My family, 2 adults, 2 kids, stayed here one night, in the main building, in a 2 queen bed, bunk bed room overlooking the pool. The room odor was chlorine scent (strong). The room was worn, the furniture very worn. The lighting was dim, the room was dull grey- just kind of depressing. Pool closed around 10pm. Unfortunately, we were surrounded by a girls' hockey team. Lots of noisy kids ran up and down the corridors until 11:45pm. Then the adults came up when the bar closed, noisily talking, laughing, calling to each other. We slept little. The breakfast was cereal, toast, tasteless, rubbery hard-boiled eggs, and chemical tasting donuts. All this for well over $200, including taxes. Management, could you please tell the adults in charge of these teams when they make their reservations and when they check in, that there is a "Please be Quiet" policy in the hallways past 11pm? And post a few signs saying the same. There are other reviews noting the noise level in similar situations, so obviously, reminders need to be made.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear janeandjay,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at our hotel. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and hope you will accept my apologies. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. I agree that we need to do a better job of keeping the corridors quieter at night and will work with our team to make improvements and changes to our procedures. We are constantly reviewing our breakfast items and appreciate your input. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Well me start by saying that the hotel staff was nice. We had to travel on business and spent Christmas in Duluth, Minnesota. When we first arrived to the hotel, we had to wait in line to check inn, the check in line was long, but I understood, this hotel is very busy. I felt the hotel layout was not that great, we got lost trying to find our way to our room. We only need 3 tickets, and had to purchase 4 tickets anyway, the front desk representative stated they only sell tickets in 2 or 4 packs. Since we were traveling with my daughter, we wanted to make it fun for her, so we chose this hotel. The room was nice, and we had a great view. the amenities are were decent. I was not impressed with the breakfast. I felt with the rate we were paying that it should have included a hot breakfast and not a continental breakfast..

We visited the waterpark resort, of course my daughter had a great time. The pool water was very cold, and the hot tub was luke warm. To purchase the tickets w/o the hotel was very pricy. I have visited several waterparks, and this waterpark is very overpriced. The snack bar was great. I did notice that lifeguards were all over the park. I will not be back.

Room Tip: My daughter enjoyed the hotel. I wish I did for the amount of money I was paying.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear fruityandnutty1,

I'm sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent visit and offer my sincere apologies. We want to provide all our guests with excellent service, accommodation, facilities and amenities at a reasonable price, and take it very seriously when we fall short. We would like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this discussion personally.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We went to the water park for a quick one night stay...as with other visits in past years, we had great service from our reservation to check out! The staff is always friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and well appointed, the lifeguards are very attentive and the water park is fun for a variety of ages. It's a handy location in Duluth as well. We will definitely be back. Thanks for a fun trip!

• Stayed January 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear juliekramer,

Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to post your great review. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a great stay and glad to know you had a fun time here. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are here.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

VERY attentive lifeguards, always on the move and focused. Family bathroom right in the waterpark and life jackets for kids. Our 3 young kids had a blast, and so did their 2 parents! Had a great stay Jan 1-3, highly recommend, and for sure will be back

• Stayed January 2014
Dear momto3oys,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your comments and 5 star rating. It is always our pleasure to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We value your business and your feedback, and really appreciate your strong recommendation. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Hurley, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I made a reservation at the Edgewater as a Christmas present for our kids. We live about two and a half hours away but our kids were excited to get out of the told and do something warm so we headed for Duluth.

When we arrived, we were shocked to find that the front desk staff was wearing winter hats and jackets. After coming in from the cold, we realized that there was no heat in the lobby. We really did not think much of it but it was extremely cold inside the motel. As we walked towards our room, we noticed that there was not much heat anywhere but we decided to push on.

We arrived at our room at it was freezing so we cranked the heater up on high. Usually when you do this in a hotel, you pay in a few hours with extremely hot conditions but we were lucky to make 60 degrees after having it on for 12 hours.

We next made our way to the water park and found that it was not only freezing but most of it was closed... Most of the people that braved this were sitting in the hot tub and there was no room for any one to sit. We were assured that the entire water park would be up and running in 20 minutes and it never did open that night.

If that would have not been so irritating, as I was checking my email, I noticed that I received an email from an Aveda Spa that is located in the city. The only way that they could have got my email address is that the motel must have sold them mine. To me, there is nothing lower than a lodging facility selling email addresses. This is totally unacceptable.

This all could have been very simply avoided with a phone call to us, telling us the conditions of the waterpark and motel but they must have just been looking at profitability and not guest retention. Hopefully they will get things resolved but the way things were handled when we stayed were terrible.

Room Tip: If you have small children and you have to go back to forth to your rooms during your time in the wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear DonandLisaFromUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and for making us aware of your disappointment during your recent stays with us. As you've probably seen this December has been one of the coldest in Duluth history and unfortunately this caused issues with our air exchange units for a 24 hr period. Even though this issue was fixed the afternoon of your checkout we know this didn't change your vacation and for that we apologize. We'd also like to discuss this further with you directly and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we do what we can to make amends.

On a side note, we DO NOT, have not, and will not ever sell a guests personal information including email addresses. We suggest you contact Aveda Spa directly in Duluth with your concerns as we have no affiliation with them.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!