“Great value, although not perfect. Family oriented.” 5 of 5 stars

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2400 London Road, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #16 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Iowa, USA
“Great value, although not perfect. Family oriented.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our room was a two-double with a sleep-capable couch and was comfortable and very clean. The room was in kind of a "tiki" motif, so if you like, or can tolerate a kitschy designed room, you will like it. We thought it to be cute, your mileage may vary. The staff in its entirely was courteous, friendly and helpful.

The thermostat was placed close to the cold-air return and the A/C outlet, so the cold air would not mix well with the rest of the room. But we learned how to adjust the setting so the room temp felt to our liking.

The room had a nice wide screen LCD TV and a full raft of cable including HBO. The continental breakfast was very diverse, but as it was continental, no hot food, besides coffee and a toaster.

Although not "Ocean's of Fun", the waterpark is nice and clean and really nice for a hotel facility.

The pizza was good. Decent crust and fresh ingredients. The boneless wings, however, were simply awful, too much breading, hard, with little discernible meat-avoid.

All-in all, it was a really great stay at a great price. We would easily recommend the Edgewater to other people and families looking for an affordable, clean, comfortable, fun place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review and recommendation of the Edgewater Resort and Waterpark. It is always our gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We are pleased to know that you and your family were happy with your room and the service you received during your stay. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the chicken wings, and offer my apologies. I will review this product and it's preparation with our team to make sure all is up to our high standards. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Apple Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We got a groupon deal for this hotel, and it was well worth the money! The room was set up great, with a bunk bed and tv in one room overlooking the waterpark and 2 queen beds and tv in the other room. They weren't really separate rooms, but they were set apart enough that the grown ups could watch tv after the kiddos went to bed. The bunk was really safe, I had no problem letting the 4 and 5 year olds sleep/climb up to the top bunk. The continental breakfast was stellar in my opinion. There was toast/bagels/etc, sweet bread, muffins, fruit cocktail, fresh bananas/apples/oranges, yogurt, oatmeal, almost every kind of dry cereal, milk, 3 or 4 kinds of juice, and probably more that I can't remember. Definitely more than enough choices that you could please the pickiest of eaters! As for the noise level, I didn't think it was excessive, yes you could hear when people were talking in the hallway, but it wasn't worse than other hotels I have been to.
If you are going to get food, I would definitely order out... the pizza at their tiki tom's restaurant was ok, but the crust was TERRIBLE... the toppings/cheese were really good, but for the price, you can definitely get something else delivered for less money that tastes better.
The arcade was ok, a lot of the games were out of order, and the prizes were typical arcade prizes, cheapo stuff that broke before we went home..

Overall I thought this was a great place to stay, and will definitely stay again if we come to Duluth!

Room Tip: we were in 1317, waterpark view room, which was really nice, but next time I would go for a lakeview...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and posting your comments. I'm sorry about the pizza and arcade games and offer my apologies. We value all guest feedback and use it in discussions and training to improve our operation and service. Its guests like you who make our jobs of providing the highest standards of cleanliness, service and facilities very rewarding. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.
Oronoco, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Very friendly Staff. Great room (stayed in Studio Suite on newest part of Hotel on north part of Tiki Tower overlooking lazy river in water park .) Very Clean room. Excellent value. Reserve "pick a Package" room rate and got a choice of free 16 cheese pizza with $10 worth of free arcade play or $20 gift card to Valantis Italian Restaurant or $20 gift card to Black wood bar and grill. you get to choose one for each night you stay. (if you stay 3 night's you get to choose 3.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write and post your great review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your wonderful remarks and recognition of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I wasn't really pleased with my stay at Edgewater. The price was good and location was nice having a view of the lake from the top of the hill. That's where the positives end. The rooms were very dated and dirty. There were several stains on the carpets and the faucets and countertops didn't look like they had been cleaned in a while. We got a jacuzzi "suite" and I wouldn't in any way describe the room as a suite. The wallpaper was peeling, the ceiling was cracked, the tiny TV was chained to the wall, the sheets had pieces of something on them (who knows what, don't even want to think about it), the thick heavy curtains covered most of the tiny window that overlooked the lake, and the jacuzzi burned me. The controls for the jacuzzi were either cold or scalding hot. I made the mistake of turning the water on while sitting in it and felt a searing pain in my back immediately. Had to get out of the jacuzzi to wait for it to fill, which took about 15 minutes due to poor water pressure. Also, we had to call down to the front desk three times for clean sheets and they never came. Had to walk down myself and get them and they didn't even give me sheets, but heavy, scratchy blankets. We slept with our own blankets we had brought from home as a last resort. I can only assume the people who rated this "resort" 4 or 5 stars were not expecting very much for the price. I made the mistake of thinking it would at least be clean. I guess at this price point cleanliness is too much to expect. On the bright side, my kiddo isn't a neat freak like I am and didn't mind the grime. He had a great time at the arcade and water park. However, given the proximity to my home, I would have much rather gone to Wisconsin Dells as for the same price I can stay at the Great Wolf Lodge and have access to many more kids activities right within a hotel that is clean and well kept with fantastic theming throughout the hotel, all for what it cost me to stay at Edgewater.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and submit comments about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to learn of your discomfort during your stay and especially concerned that you encountered problems related to housekeeping and the in room whirlpool. Please accept my sincere apologies. We would like to learn more details and hope you will contact us by responding here or via kenjacobs@zmchotels.It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and when for some reason we fail, we are very concerned. We value all guest feedback and use it to improve our operation. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust on a future visit.
Thunder Bay, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It is a great place to stay, if you are travelling with children. You can have alot of fun in th waterpark. It is clean and safe for your children to play and enjoy themself. Rooms are big and clean. The beds are a little to soft (for my liking), the pillows are very full and hard. You most likly will get less sleep or a sore neck. Free Breakfast was just okay, but there is no hot food served at breakfast. Overall fun place to stay for our little boy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your candid comments. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the bed and breakfast we provide and offer my sincere apologies. I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy your time in the waterpark, and hope you will let us serve you here again.
Litchfield, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great service, comfortable beds, lots of activities. A little noisy with children running up and down the hallways as they return from the waterpark. Easy access to Lakewalk and I-35 as well as scenic North Shore Drive.

Room Tip: We loved the having so many room options. Best for us was 2 room suite with one king and 2 queen...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for posting your comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were disturbed by other guests and offer my apologies. We want all our guests to be able to relax and enjoy themselves and I am sorry that we fell short with you. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Excellent place for kids.....they have a blast in the waterpark! Rooms were clean and all places are fairly easy to get to! Beautiful view of Lake Superior! Excellent outdoor play area for children and all the waterfront attractions make it a real plus also! Will return again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to make your first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you and your family were happy with our waterpark, hotel and service, and glad to know you'll be back. We look forward to welcoming you and thanking you in person the next time you are here.

Been to Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark? Share your experiences!