“Large Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

You added The Suites Hotel in Canal Park to your Saves list
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   325 South Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Fargo, North Dakota
“Large Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed here as the leaves were changing in September, 2013. Let's start with the BIGGEST pro--this hotel is in the center of Canal Park and has free (yes, free) and ample parking. The hotel has a city view, if you could call it that, not a view of the lake. Since we stayed in an interior suite, it really wouldn't have mattered to us. This hotel is clean and has a nice, large pool. Our room was really clean--they even made an extra effort as one of our children has asthma and is allergic to pets. The hotel is a tad outdated as far as decor, but each room has a kitchen and VERY large rooms.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a room in Duluth in September. Very busy time of year!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed at this hotel at the end of May. It's in a great location - right in the heart of Canal Park with many restaurants and activities near by. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The hotel is clean, and the suites are spacious. The living room/kitchen area of the suite was very dark as there was not natural light. The inner rooms do not have windows, which I would imagine the rooms to be quite dark. Breakfast is included, which was a typical hotel buffet breakfast. Great Canadian rates!

Room Tip: The inner rooms do not have windows. Avoid!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

If you are unaware, Duluth's charming Canal Park is a shopping and dining mecca on the waterfront. The Suites hotel is a very large old hardware building from the turn of the last century. The rooms were remodeled last about 15 or so years ago so they are not super up to date but they have kitchenettes in them which I find massively useful if only for breakfast and drinks. The location is right in the center of everything.

I have learned that there is a wide variety of rooms, some of which have no windows because they are interior spaces. The best views are on the bay side, not the Duluth side, but both are charming. I find the price very reasonable and service has always been great. I can recommend this for many uses: romantic, family, business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay side room above the 4th floor for best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Shakopee, Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the motel over Memorial Day weekend with one other couple. We rented a suite with 2 bedrooms, which was a wonderful decision!

The room had a full-size kitchen with full-size appliances, a whirlpool, 2 full bathrooms (3/4 off master bedroom), and a fireplace. The room was immaculate.

The motel was quiet, and is in a perfect location for exploring the Canal Park area. The restaurants and shops are very interesting and enjoyable in the area. But, they close early, between 5 and 6 on Sundays.

We had some very loud neighbors, and the security was right on top of it. There were a couple of minor things wrong in the room, and maintenance responded and took care of everything within minutes. Absolutely unbelievable customer service.

The only thing to be aware of is that the parking lot if across the street, which can be busy at times, but they have an attendant during peak times. There is a place in the back of the motel where you can pull up to load and unload, but parking is on the other side. To bring things up, to the hotel, there are steps.

This was an exceptionally perfect stay, and look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: We were in room 1311, I believe, which is the only room that had a balcony. The balcony was actuall...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a quick business trip. We arrived at ~6pm and had a pretty speedy check in. I had already been warned by my co-worker to get a suite because apparently some rooms don't have windows. Thanks for that tip! When I got off of the 4th floor, there was a strange odor, but I ignored it as I was so interested in the surroundings, they had made the hallways and pillars resemble a large ship. It was pretty dim, but I think that was the idea.... When I got to my room, the smell increased. I think it was smoke as in someone had smoked in the room at some point, a lot!. It was VERY strong, but it was not as strong in the bedroom, luckily. The sheets and bedding smelled fine. To me this is a very simple thing that was overlooked by the staff. There is no way they didn't smell it.

They offer a free appetizer at the Timber Lodge that is attached, and check out was quick and simple. However, I wasn't asked how my stay was, likely because I had interrupted a coworker conversation. There was also a free hot breakfast.

I didn't get to enjoy all of the amenities as it was a short trip, so I still gave a rating of 3, even though I was disappointed.

Room Tip: I do not know this first hand, but apparently there are rooms without windows.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Once again The Suites hotel in canal park outdid themselves again. Every time we stay there it's better tan the last. Tom Simonson and his staff treated us like royalty! The continental breakfast they serve is 2nd to non with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuit's and gravy, waffles and everything else under the sun saves us a lot of money.
We will see you again in September!

North Branch, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were at this hotel for a dance competition recently. The rooms were fine and acceptable, but there was a major problem with billing. Upon check-in, after they swiped my card, I was asked to sign the receipt. It is a good thing I am particular because I noticed they charged me for someone else's room for nearly 500 dollars. They said they reversed the charges. However the funds have still been held from my credit card a week later. No body at the hotel will admit the problem and they certainly are not willing to help correct the matter. They are not apologetic. American Express thankfully is looking out for me, however I have spent a great deal of time on the phone to fix their problem. I cannot recommend anyone staying at this hotel unless you have the time to fight them to recoup fraud charges. It would be a more palatable if they were at least apologetic and had done something to regain us as customers. We travel a great deal and have had mistakes happen over the years, but never have we encounter a hotel so unwiling to help.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for writing. We always appreciate guest comments that help to make us better. We certainly do deeply apologize for the confusion of the billing of this card. I just wanted to clarify there was never a charge for another guests room on this card. There was, due to a computer issue, an authorization that I was able to take care of with AX with-in an hour of being made aware that a reversal of that authorization was required. This was a one time glitch that we didn't believe will happen again, and feel really bad for the inconvenience it caused.
Thank you again.

Been to The Suites Hotel in Canal Park? Share your experiences!