“Unique Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

You added The Suites Hotel in Canal Park to your Saves list
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   325 South Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Unique Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel definitely has character. The front desk is friendly and helpful. The hallways to the room have a warehouse type feel. The hotel used to be a part of the Homewood Suites chain. It appears that the rooms have not been updated since then. The sheets had visible stains and mildew stains on them. The door frame had cobwebs. The room was otherwise clean. The pool water was fairly warm.

The hotel is attached to the Timber Lodge which is an excellent restaurant similar to Outback. The hotel issues two free drink coupons for happy hour at the Timber Lodge. There are no free snacks or appetizers with the happy hour, but there is a buy 1/get 1 coupon for appetizers.

The price was good value for Canal Park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Maplewood, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past but when I returned in June, 2013 with 2 friends, I slipped and fell in the tub. I am well aware of the conditions of tubs and that they can be slippery but after I fell I went to the front desk to get directions to the emergency room and while there the manager came out to fill out and incident report. He had no sympathy or compasion for my situation. He just completed the form, stated that the hotel did not handle "these incidents" and that he would send the form to the insurance company and they would handle it. I then returned a few hours later after my ER visit and while checking out, the manager was 4 feet from me behind the desk and didn't even acknowledge that I was there. I am very upset with the hotel's handling of this. They have my phone number and I have not heard from them. I never got a how are you? Is everything okay? Nothing. Not even a small discount on our room.

The hotel is nice and the front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. Would I stay there again? Absolutety not. And 90% of the reason is due to how I was treated by the manager.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I want to preface this post by saying--it's been 2 1/2 years since we last stayed in this hotel. It could be under new management and the rooms could have been upgraded since we stayed there.

We went on a trip to the Duluth area and stayed in this hotel (me, husband, two children). The rooms were "ok"--spacious enough but felt very dark. When we checked out of the hotel and were traveling to our next destination (further north) my son realized he had forgotten his Nintendo DS in the room so I immediately called the hotel to alert the staff. We called again the next day to make arrangements to pick it up on our way home and they indicated that they hadn't found it. I left my phone number to have them call me when they did. At this point, I figured the DS was a loss and that someone had decided to keep it.

A few days after we got home, the hotel called and said they had found his DS. They described his to me (it was bright blue) and I was so happy (and impressed) that their staff had been so honest. We made arrangements for them to mail the DS to me.

Well, it's been 2 1/2 years and the mail service isn't THAT slow. I suspect that someone else decided to keep the DS. When I called back and spoke with them, they didn't seem to know and/or care what I was talking about.

I'm traveling to Duluth again on business in October, and will not be staying at this hotel. I just felt like it was poor service that when I called to inquire about why it hadn't arrived in the mail, they didn't offer any consolation.

My ownership in this is that I didn't write down who I was talking to every time I called. That way, maybe they would have felt they owed me a little more accountability.

Bottom line--the hotel rooms (that we had) were dark and "ok"--there are way better options in beautiful Canal Park--and we ended up with an "extra expensive" stay with the loss of my son's game.

Ah! I feel so much better:)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing. I realize your stay was 21/2 years ago so I can't speak to your situation, but I can say we work everyday to improve how we operate and take care of our guests. We do sincerely apologize for your past experience. Thank you again
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent several days here on a family trip and it's a great place to stay. We had a suit with two bedrooms and two baths. Very close to all of the attractions and several restaurants. They offer free parking across the street which is great since it's difficult to find parking. The staff was friendly and helpful. Free breakfast is fair but it's typical.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we hope see you again soon!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

There are some real positives to this hotel. Location in canal park is great, you can walk anywhere quickly. The free breakfast is always a positive even when it's not super exciting. Hotel staff were always friendly and quick to respond with issues. Its pet friendly. Again, the location is great. We got a goofy interior room with no windows. But the full sized fridge was nice. There is a lot of room for improvement in the cleanliness category across the board, floors, sheets, ect. Since we really only used the room for sleep and it was quite a bit cheaper than others in the area I'd recommend it for not much more than that.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review! Our Studio Suites are a great value in Canal Park if you don't mind not having a window! But we have plenty of other Suites with windows to choose from. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Shared a two bedroom suite with my in-laws. Suite was large with full kitchen. Hotel was clean and had a very good hot breakfast. Price was very reasonable for a Saturday night during peak tourist season. One great feature for us was the kiddie pool. its only 1ft deep and our 2 yr old loved it. The only down side for us was that the jacuzzi in the suite was in the living room. Appeared very awkward like it was an after thought. Since we shared the suite, the jacuzzi was useless to us. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review! The two bedroom condos are great with a lot of room!
farmington,mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This building is very old and if you like the loft type feel with separate bedrooms then this is for you. The top two floors are condos. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath full kitchen room. You could tell this too use to be a persons home. The ceilings are painted a very dark forest green covering up the designs and adding to the darkness in the room. Gas fire place was on and you could feel the warm air coming from it. It only meant the AC had to work harder. There is a full kitchen. Missed matched furniture. The love seat and two chairs are old and stained. The carpet is dark blue with pink flowers. No light coming in except from the bedroom windows and they are closed off from the rest of the place. The beds were comfortable and plenty of pillows. This was a very large room. The main halls are wide. They do have dogs in this building. Some large dogs. Didn't bother me but be aware if you have allergies. No ice machines. The location is good. In walking distance to the attractions. The parking is across the street from the hotel. There is a place to unload behind the hotel but it is difficult to get in and out of. They have Timerber Lodge steakhouse connected to the hotel and Red Lobster next to that. The kiddie pool is a foot deep and the water was warm. The hot tub didn't look to clean but the adult pool was a good size. They offer a good breakfast with first level and second level seating. The hotel is clean but old. For the $277 we spent for one night I'll try another hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review!

Been to The Suites Hotel in Canal Park? Share your experiences!