“Cool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

You added The Suites Hotel in Canal Park to your Saves list
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   325 South Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at this downtown hotel in August. The old warehouse conversion makes it a not so ho hum stay. The giant pillars in the room are nifty. It's all self contained. Stove, microwave, fridge. Dog friendly. There is a $25.00 hit per night, though. I usually don't like to pay more than $20.00 per STAY- extra for my dog. The location is excellent. The hotel is close to the Duluth Lakewalk. Canal Park bars and restaurants, are within easy walking distance. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window. Some rooms are without windows.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you! The hotel does have a unique history on Duluths waterfront and a very cool location!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had stayed here several times in the past, but never on the 4th floor. The first room we were given had a very strong smell of smoke. So I called the front desk to tell them someone had been smoking in the romm prior to us. The front desk informed me that some of the rooms on the 4th floor were smokin and we were right next to one. It never occurred to me that smoking was an issue in hotels any longer. The manager, Marissa, apologized and upgraded us to a suite. However, it was on the same floor. No rooms were available on other floors. This room also smelled of somke, not as bad though. Still, when paying $350 you should be able to have a room that doesn't smell of smoke. The hallways were awful! You could actually see smoke in the air!

So, stay there if you can get on a floor besides 4. It is a nice hotel and a great location. However, if you get the 4th floor and can't stand smoke. Stay away!

Room Tip: Stay away from the 4th floor - it has smoking rooms! No warning about it from staff.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review! We apologize for not being able to get you a different floor and your comments are very much appreciated!
Thanks again!
Pewaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed with our dog on a recent trip to Duluth. Found the stay to be pleasant. The hotel is comfortable and quiet despite being pretty busy during our stay. They did seem a little understaffed and the hotel should think about a few updates but overall we all enjoyed our stay and would probably consider staying there again the next time we are in Duluth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for writing, we're glad you enjoyed your stay!
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. It was really...just fine.

The location is great, close to everything...the only way it could be better is if it was actually on the water (it's about a block away).

Our room was a suite on the 3rd floor. There was a strange odor every time we turned the corner to the hallway of our suite...I finally decided it was the wood timbers which are exposed throughout the entire floor. It gives the rooms some character, but also carries with it some smell. Not offensive really, just some smell.

We did have a few maintenance issues and the ones we reported were resolved immediately. There are a few more things that I will report upon checkout...a constantly running toilet and lack of vent covers in both bedrooms.

Housekeeping was fine. Breakfast was fine. They have a hospitality hour every day where you get a free drink at the Timberlodge Steakhouse on the premises, one day they allowed me to upgrade to a call liquor and one day they didn't. The front desk staff wasn't surly, but they weren't overly friendly or efficient either.

So overall, it was just fine. Would I stay again? I think I'd probably look at some of the other suite hotels in the area, but if it was the only one available, I guess I wouldn't mind too much.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, your comments are appreciated!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I thought it would be nice to stay in Duluth for our anniversary and being last minute on scheduling our room reservation, this was the only hotel that wasn't booked. So, we made our reservation and upon reading previous reviews it was almost cancelled..but I didn't and we checked in. Staff was excellent when we checked in. They were very quick and polite. We got to our room (interior room 4th floor queen) and were actually surprised at the room. It was bigger than expected. This is unfortunately the last of the good things I can say because everything from here on out was not so pleasant. I went to take a shower and turned on the water... The faucet is set backwards and the water came out so hot that if small children or people who can't sence temperatures very well could have been burned. So, in the middle of my shower as I'm head to toe soap suds, the water pressure drops to almost nothing, gets ice cold and then gushed right out scalding hot. This happend with both showers I took. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not.. the neighboring room was burning their food.. that filtered under the doors.. so ultimately sleep was limited. As I said earlier, morning shower was just as bad as my evening one. As we were getting ready to check out and doing a last minute check (note time is 10:30) for forgotten items, the house keeping lady barges into our room without so much as a knock. I was livid! When I got to the front desk and reported my less than desirable feelings about my experience, I was blown off and shoved a " here fill this out and tell the manager about it" paper, and was given the eye roll with the " ok your making this stuff up" look. My experience with this hotel left such a bad taste in my mouth that we left Duluth as soon as we left the parking lot. I have to wonder why they think its ok to charge $200 to stay in a hotel and give treatment like this. I work very hard for my money and am now very upset that I forked out such a large amount for what was a less than desirable stay. I will not be staying again. I will instead book way far in advance to stay at a much nicer facility.

• Stayed August 2012
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for writing your review. We sincerely apologize for the plumbing problems and the other issues during your stay, they have been corrected so they won't happen again. Your feed back is always appreciated, is just makes us better! Thanks.
Bayport, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I and 3 other couples stayed here in August 2012. I booked all the rooms through expedia and we got a really good price. We were really surprised to find a complete kitchen (stove, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator). The bed and pillows were extra comfy cozy. Lots of space. The parking was close and free. The free breakfast was eggs, french toast, waffles, sausage etc. Check in and out were fast. Conveniently located in Canal Park to all the restaurants and the lakefront. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A lot of the suites are in the interior of the building so they have no windows.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family of 6 (4 adults and 2 teenagers) stayed in a 3 bedroom suite. With a large group our number 1 priority was space, and these suites do not dissapoint with almost 2000 square feet. My wife and my bedroom was larger than many hotel rooms I have stayed in.

Staff was exceptional - check-in and check-out were both a breeze and the staff was friendly. The cleaning staff greeted us in a friendly manner all the time. We had to call to the front desk because of a noise disturbance in another room, and they took care of it and even called us back...very professional.

Some of the furnishings are a bit dated, such as the carpet and the living room furniture. While the bedrooms are very nice as was the kitchen which included plenty of dishes and silverware.

If you are looking for top of the line, this is likely not the place for you. If you want a nice place with plenty of room I highly recommend the Suites Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time write this review!

Been to The Suites Hotel in Canal Park? Share your experiences!