“A unique treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

Save Saved
You added The Suites Hotel in Canal Park to your Saves list
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   325 South Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 55802 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites)   |
Ranked #17 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Louisville, Kentucky
“A unique treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We came here with few expectations, but loved it. This is a unique property: it is an old warehouse that has been converted into a hotel and condos. Fifteen foot ceilings, wide hallways, exposed pipes. You get a lot for your money: We had a two (king) bedroom, two bath suite with a kitchenette for the same price as most hotel rooms. Absolutely perfect for a family. It also had a gorgeous view of the lake.

I can see that if someone wants the ordinary, run-of-the mill experience, they might be put off. The carpets in the hallway were a bit worn, some of the furniture a bit dated, but everything was very clean and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. Good quality towels and toiletries in the bathroom.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Great, hot continental breakfast and a spacious eating area. The location is perfect for seeing canal park and the lakefront. I did not use the pool, but my daughter did and enjoyed it very much.

My only regret is that we only stayed one night. As I said to my husband when we left, "Wouldn't it be great if every hotel was like this?"

Room Tip: The view of the lake from the lake side rooms is wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Loved this old style hotel. In Canal Park, you can walk everywhere. Free parking across the street. The rooms have a kitchen like area with a small microwave,stove,large fridge. We really loved this place. If you are looking for new carpets and a lakeside room this is not it. But it is great if you like a bit of old Duluth and some history. Beds are very comfortable. Ask for a outside room if you want a window. Inside rooms are a little bit less expensive. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for writing this review!! The Suites Hotel is definitely not a cookie cutter branded hotel. We are very unique and offer a wide varitey of guest accommodations.
Pillager, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Came for marathon. We have stayed several places in Duluth with great experiences. Our favorite is ground floor lakeside at Inn on Superior.

For a city so organized for marathon, this hotel is not. When I booked room, I was told to come early due to traffic and parking. "we have people come early so rooms are ready"
Room not ready at noon or two " we don't know when it will be ready"
There are two front desk clerks with at least 3 people waiting at all times, in between they are answering phones.
Housekeepers walk through lobby with clean and dirty laundry. I haven't seen room yet but for time to clean and $329/noc, expectations are high.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for writing this review. We apologize for the delay on getting you early. The Grandmas Marathon arrival day is always very busy for us, but this year had a full house the night before, leaving us with the majority of our rooms to get ready for our arriving guests, This is one of those days when everyone likes to arrive early to settle in for the evening. It was difficult, but for the most part we very successful. Thank you again!
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We ( 2 couples ) booked into a 2bdrm suite June 10th for 1 nite. It was advertised at a good discount for Canadian visitors. We drove down from Thunder Bay and arrived early so our room would not be available till 4pm, of course a great chance for the girls to go shopping, and boy, did they.Went to Famous Daves ( next door ) for the best ribs I have had, the otheres had chick/fish etc. Breakfast at the hotel was included ( hash browns, eggs, sausages, french toast,waffles, juices, toast, cereals) so you won't starve.
The scenery down to Duluth and back is spectacular along Lake Superior.
Our room was a good surprise, 2 bedrooms, 2 bath,2 tv's,fireplace, jacuzzi, spotlessly clean, lots of towels, everything you need, dishes, cutlery etc.
Had no time to use pool, hot tub, exercise room......... hopefully next time
Wud we go back............ try to keep us away

William2 Canada

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, we very much enjoy your Canadian friends!
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We have stayed at the Suites at least once a year for the past 9 years. Let me first start off by saying that this place is great. It's not fancy (keep in mind it's an old warehouse), but it suits our needs. For the price point, I think this hotel offers more than its competitors in Canal Park because of its large rooms and full service kitchen. I have young kids and didn't have to worry about them running in the room and disturbing other guests because this place is built like a castle. The kids loved the pool, breakfast was good, and the housekeeping staff was friendly.

Now for the bad stuff:

Every time I have stayed here, I have had to walk though clouds of cigarette smoke being emitted by the housekeeping staff near the doors in the rear of the building. This is very unprofessional and MANAGEMENT needs to accomodate thier employees better to class the place up a little. As I said before, the stay was great...until checkout. Several years ago I enrolled in thier frequent stay program and had completed 8/10 nights required to get a free night. I stayed two nights on this trip and presented my card at checkout to finish the card. The employee seemed bewildered by the card and asked the manager to come up. The manager simply said "sorry, we don't do this program anymore." I was stunned and told her that they should still honor my free night and she became quite offended that I would say such a thing. All she said is sorry and then proceeded to verbally reprimand her employee right in front of me for entering a wrong employee number in the computer - unrelated to my checkout. I was baffled at the unprofessional attitute this "manager" displayed not only to me, but her employee. The bottom line is that I'm getting a $50 gift card (still not comparable to the one night free stay). I can tell you that I very suprised at the level of service I received. This is not the service I am accustomed to at this hotel and hope upper managment sees to it that thier managers (or maybe just one in this case) get some professional development in order to create a better experience for its guests and employees.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a window as some rooms don't have them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you being a loyal customer and glad you enjoyed your stay. We always learn from these comments and take what we learn to improve when we fall short, so thank you again and please accept our apologies.
The Suite Rewards program was started 2 years ago to replace the previous reward system for frequent guests. The new Suite Rewards is much more versatile, you earn rewards quicker and with fewer restrictions. It's very well received, with new members everyday!
Bellevue, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Suites in May on a whim for lack of a cheaper place to stay in Canal Park. The location and parking was awesome. Perhaps the easiest we've had checking in to a hotel. It took a few extra minutes to check in because the desk crew wasn't firing on all cylinders that day. They watched me walk in with my wife and luggage, stop in line, and my wife excused herself to the restroom. Their eyes glanced at me a few times and after a few minutes "oh, I didn't notice you there..." That's nice, but I'm a 6'2 Nebraska boy...there is no missing me! Regardless, we got checked in, and made out way to our room. The room itself was decent and had a very nice view of the S.S. William A. Irvin. Pretty comfy overall.

The biggest debacle was the internet. We needed to have connectivity to plan out next night, book hotels, etc, but up until about midnight, the internet wasn't working, and nobody at the front desk seemed to have a clue...I tried the wi-fi, a cat-5 cable, and nothing worked. Suffice to say, it kind of put a damper on the night.

If we return to Duluth, we probably will not stay at the Suites.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The suites are large and quite unique, the bedroom is like a SoHo loft. The property overall has a pretty amazing history in itself, a converted factory. The continental breakfast was good, lots of variety. If I return to Duluth this is where I'll stay. Quite pleased!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a suite with a window, better yet a window and a small balcony that overlooks the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. We really appreciate all comments, knowing what our guests think just makes us better.

Been to The Suites Hotel in Canal Park? Share your experiences!