“What a wonderful and plush value” 5 of 5 stars

Canal Park Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   250 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Isanti, Minnesota
“What a wonderful and plush value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We had a beautiful first level room overlooking Lake Superior. Our room was a regular size room with two queen beds. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of pillows and a nice thick duvet cover. There is a microwave, a small refrigerator and coffeemaker in the room. There is a large LCD TV also. There is two separate lounges. One has a fireplace, comfy chairs and two computer workstations. The other lounge is very nice with very comfy chairs/couches to relax in overlooking beautiful Lake Superior. Our room was only two doors from the main lounge. There were people in the lounge until late and early in the morning and we never heard a peep in our room which was very close and it worried me that the noise would be overbearing. It was not - heard nothing in the room. There is free parking in the lot outside the hotel. It is centrally located to the beautiful Duluth lift bridge and all the shops/restaurants on the canal. Even the city view is beautiful, seeing the hills and businesses - nice. The very BEST part of this hotel is the free morning breakfast. All I can say is WOW. There were scrambled eggs (not the powdered ones), hash brown caserole- delicious, make your own omelets, waffles, bacon, ham and other items to put on the make your own omelet, breads, yogurt, fruit, juices, cereals, milk. It was good, plentiful and hot. In the afternoon they have a cash bar and an appetizer. The night they were there they had meat balls. They also were excellent. The only downside which is very minimal is one of the front desk clerks was very friendly and helpful the other one was just "so so". But, that was not enough to deter me from visiting this hotel again. It is a great value and a great stay!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We visited Duluth with two young children (10 and 4), plus my brother's family with their 3 children for one night. The hotel is well located on Canal Park, near a lot of activities. We had a lake view room which was worth the extra dollars and had a great view from the third floor over Lake Superior. The place was real clean, big rooms and very comfortable. Great complimentary breakfast. We walked along the boardwalk that was busy with runners and walkers of all sorts. The staff was very friendly. It is easy to walk to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. When we got to our room we discovered that the bed was soaking wet on one side down to the mattress. We called the front desk to inform them of the situation and were told that they didn't have any extra mattresses but would turn the mattress over and replace the wet bedding. The wet bed situation was resolved but the room still smelled of excessive moisture and no matter how long we ran the air conditioner it didn't help. All of our clothes had a musty smell when we returned home and had to be washed. The breakfast was very good and the location is excellent. Within walking distance to everything in Canal Park. Would stay there again, just not in the room we had. A little pricey, but a nice place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sedona, Az.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I know Duluth, but not the Lodge. Everything was great and I was very impressed with the Lodge. The rate was great, room and view were awesome. A very upscale hotel at a fair price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

This place was great. great location, I walked to Canal Park, walked to bars on Superior Street and never had to move my car. It was great. Great view of the lake, beautiful "woody" look. I asked if they had any specials and they gave me a better price. I will go again for sure.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Rockford, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

This "lodge" is within walking distance of all attractions, shopping and Lake Superior. Large rooms, some with great views of the Lake. I was able to park my car and do a lot of walking, good after a long drive. Lots of children are here this week using the pool, has all the amenities including free internet. I recommend this hotel in Duluth.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
prior lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed here with my husband from 12/29-31. We checked in around 3:30 and had made a reservation for a lakeview room. We went to our room to find out that the view was not that great and it was a view of the construction the city was doing on the lake walk. If I pay extra for a view, I expect it not to be blocked. When I entered the room, I also noticed that the top 2" of wallpaper around the entire room was falling down. Because of these issues, I did go back to the front desk right away to ask for another room and I was told nothing else with a lake view was available so I decided to live with it. The room itself was clean and fine, but nothing great. The construction ruined more than our view, we also go woke up every morning at 7:00am with the sound of dump trucks dumping and the beeping of trucks backing up. The breakfast here was good, but other hotels nearby offer the same hot breakfast. At check out I was asked if our stay was good and I mentioned the issue with the wallpaper and the construction. She informed me that they knew of the wallpaper paper issue and that they could do nothing out the construction. Not a single apology for any of the issues I had, I felt very much like the staff did not care. I travel up to this area often for business and this hotel would not be a first choice when I come back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Canal Park Lodge? Share your experiences!