“What a Hassel!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 32 hotels in Duluth
wakefield, michigan
“What a Hassel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

I went to Duluth for business/leisure trip with co-workers, what a long drive we had to. When we got there, finding parking was a pain to say the least. Not to mention the walk we had, around and around and around we went just to get to the front desk! Elevators??? Ya after you had walked a marathon already! Plus carrying luggage of our female riders(no offence there, they know they brought alot of stuff!!! LOL) It would have been fine accept how tired we were when we got there, and looked forward to relax. We are not exaggerating here, they should have a button that buzzes someone at the front, who speaks to you and tells you to wait and that they will have someone come where you are with a trolly or something. However you will have the convience of a map on the wall to try to tell you where your at, your a mouse in a maze! TG my medications didnt kick in! LOL I would have never found my way back to the room when I had to go search for my car cause i needed something.
How was customer service? The guy who worked there, was nice and did accomadate us with towels and a rollaway bed. They did offer shuttle service to take you around town to eat or site seeing. That would be nice to some.
However the pool here is only 3 feet deep, so if your bringing your kids here to swim, that may dissappointment them. We had a couple with us, and they were teenagers who whined about it saying it was a kiddy pool! Not that you can please a teenageer, lol.But we try dont we? LOL
One of us, got a suite thinking oh it will be nice and big to accomodate most of us, can we say WOW when we walked in, and NOT a GOOD WOW! It was tiny! Two people should only taKe their suite, cause youll be walking over each other if you dont! We asked for a hot tub in the room, but they didnt have any in the hotel.They told us there was one by the pool. Well whooopy doooo! If i pay over 200 bucks for a suite, I want a whirl TUB! IN PRIVATE! Not sharing it with every tom, dick , and harry casino goer! LOL
The view wasnt bad in the room though, accept of the row of bars across the street and you could hear everything going on there. Peace and quiet ??? Naaaaa bring your meds, and crank up the tv!
They are nice there though, no compalints really there. They dont make the rules, or prices, or make decisions on decorating, or putting hot tubs in rooms, they just work there. LOL Hint, hint management!
They do accept pets, which is fantastic, and dont charge a nutty price over it. That was nice to hear, because we do have pets, and know hotels should accept pets. Pets are live beings, ya cant always leave them at home! Plus they are family. So all you pet lovers will like that news.
Now for the suite itself, besides being small. Its just average looking. Looks like any reg room with a king bed. There wasnt a wow factor there at all! Which was dissappointing.
But instead of a chair with a bible, there was a couch with one. I would be highly PISSED if I came here for a romantic evening with my husband for the first time. Def doesnt cut it for the price you pay! Was it clean??? Yes it sure was, thank god cause if it hadnt been, I would have screamed REFUND with all the dissappointments we ran into.
I have def been to worse hotels then this one though, would I reccomend it? Sure, but I would say take the cheapest room you can!
I hope this helps someone else. As for management there, I think you all need to get together, and make some changes well long over due, esp with the competion you do have. Come on now!
Take care

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Evanston, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed at the Sheraton in August of 2009 after my Aunt had an accident in northern Minnesota and was life-flighted to St Mary's. The staff was extremely supportive and helpful, especially Rebekah and Marshall. They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed.

The hotel has many amenities - free wifi in public areas (you have to pay in your room), the use of a printer and computers in the lobby, a cute bar, great fitness center, Starbucks coffee in the rooms. It is also connected to the parking garage and Skywalk system for convenience. If you've never been to Duluth before, the downtown area is built on a VERY steep hill and the Skywalk system makes it a lot easier to get around.

The garage is not very far at all. I don't know why some of the reviews make it seem like you have to walk forever to get to it. It's really just at the end of a long hallway that is connected to the hotel by an elevator at the back of the ground floor.

If you are traveling to Duluth for medical reasons, be sure to check with the hospital about securing medical rates for the hotel. I felt that $88 was a great value for this safe, clean and comfortable hotel. It was nice not to have to worry about ANYTHING while we were there dealing with a crisis.

I highly recommend this hotel! It was one of my better hotel experiences, and I travel a lot!

• Stayed August 2009
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My family stayed here for the 4th of July and felt comfortable. The rooms are nicely decorated and along with the lobby.
The service was friendly and the location was in close proximity of the lake walk.
I booked via Hotwire and got a good deal, however the hotel does not have a free breakfast or a microwave/refrigerator in the room which would have been nice.
The noise from the hallways can be heard easily though your room door but the ceiling and wall insulation is good.
I would recommend staying here in the future if you can grab a good deal.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Mosinee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel when the one I usually stay at in canal park was booked. The room was very nice--a classy, but comfortable minimalist decor. The staff was also very friendly & helpful. However, I still prefer staying in the canal park area. The parking at the Sheraton was in a city lot, not as convient (or safe, in my opinion) as a parking lot right outside the hotel. Also, even though I had a "lake view" room, the lake was in the distance, not directly outside the door like in canal park. Also, walking around the area at night as a female solo traveler, was a little questionable since there is a gentleman's club about 1-2 blocks away. Also, the whole downtown area seemed a bit run down.

Also, breakfast was not included & I had to pay extra for high speed internet.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My family recently had a tragedy when grandpa had a very bad stroke and ended up in the hospital in Duluth, MN. As our family is scattered across the state, we all made trips to Duluth to be with him and support each other. The staff at the Sheraton have been kind, helpful, and at times have gone out of their way to accommodate our large family. We were all given rooms in close proximity on the 5th floor. The even numbered rooms have a lake view, odd numbered have a city view. We were given a special rate of $86.00 per night, almost twenty dollars less than the cheapest internet rate.

During the week, the hotel and hospital are connected by a heated skywalk; however, this is closed on weekends, so they make the shuttle readily available. The logest we ever waited was less than 10 minutes. The shuttle runs until about 9:45 p.m. - very reliable service.

The rooms are nice-sized, very clean, and have plenty of space to get the suitcases out of the way. The beds and pillows are very comfortable with soft, cozy sheets and covers. The pool and jacuzzi are very small and very chlorinated, but enjoyed by the grandkids none-the-less. The only addition I would make to the room would be a small fridge, and have a microwave available for guest use.

Check-in and check-out were effortless, no mistakes noted on the bill. And everyone provided service with a smile! We will be spending many more nights in Duluth and will continue to book at the Sheraton.

• Liked — Close proximity and connection to the hospital
  • Disliked — Loud heating vent in room
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I didn't even stay at the Sheraton, but my experience has been awful. I reserved a room for the 2009 Grandma's marathon in September 2008. They charged my credit card ($540) in January 2009 - it's pretty unusual for a hotel to charge you before you've stayed there. I ended up finding a different, cheaper place to stay, so I called to cancel my reservation at the end of January. Woman from customer service said everything was fine, the charge would be taken off. I called back a week later because the charge was still there. First the woman said I must have reserved the room through a 3rd party website (which I didn't), so there was no refund. I was transferred to the billing department. I left 3 messages, finally got in touch with the billing guy. He didn't have any idea what I was trying to do, and transferred me to reservations. Explained my predicament AGAIN, and she said everything was fine and the charge would be removed from my credit card. It's been a week, and instead of removing the $540 charge, I have a new one for another $50. I understand why a hotel doesn't want to make cancellations easy, but this is ridiculous. Maybe I wasn't going to stay there for Grandma's, but you can be sure I'm not staying there ever.

Stayed September 2008
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My wife and I headed up to Duluth to go skiing at Spirit Mountain and the highlight of the trip ended up being the hotel. I cannot say enough about the staff, every single one of them was friendly and they did all they could to make our stay comfortable.
The rooms are very recently updated, great beds and pillows, meticulously cleaned rooms, large widescreen High Def plasmas with 80 some channels of cable and enormous showers plus great views of Duluth! They also have an on-site restaurant, 24-hour workout facility and a nice pool and hot tub. The nicest hotel in Duluth in my opinion, hands down. Like any hotel though, the service makes or breaks it and the service was spectacular. The first night we arrived, the lobby was slow and we walked up to the bar and ordered two Daiquiris, it was late and the bartender had everything packed up, but she smiled and said it would be just a second as they had just gotten a new blender. With a smile that seemed genuine, she unpacked the new blender and made us two awesome Daiquiris (I was a bartender in college so I know it can be a pain when people order blended drinks when you have everything all set for the night). The bar staff was great throughout our stay.
We were always greeted quickly and warmly entering the lobby and by all staff we saw. The front desk staff was extremely helpful throughout our stay and they even generously offered to keep our bags locked up for us after we checked out while we skied (it was minus 12 degrees, so it allowed us to keep all of our belongings from freezing) and they even let us take another dip in the hot tub and use the showers after our freezing day on the slopes to warm up (even though we had checked out we were very pleasantly surprised and grateful).
We had breakfast in the restaurant and again the service was fantastic, the food served quickly, piping hot and delicious (the maple walnut compound butter was superb along with fresh MN tapped Maple syrup) and our server was great (our waters never even hit half empty).
To address those reviewers who have complained of walking to the parking ramp, we were shocked, after having read the previous reviews, to find the walk a mere 100 yards or so in a completely enclosed, heated skyway connecting the covered parking ramp (a fantastic amenity in December in MN) to the hotel. How anyone could confuse the walk as being “nearly a ½ mile” is beyond ludicrous. It is a brightly lit, secure corridor that extends 100 to maybe 125 yards and is hardly even a concern to any even remotely able-bodied person; any reviewers pointing to this as issue have issues of their own.
Bottom line- this will always be our choice on the North Shore going forward. The staff were among the nicest we have ever been served by and they saw to our every need. The Duluth Sheraton is the best place to stay on the MN North Shore by far.

• Liked — The staff provided the best service we ever had in MN.
  • Disliked — No exhaust fan in the bathroom and the mirrors got fogged up after showers-very minor.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!