“Great Place in Duluth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great Place in Duluth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

By far the best place to stay in Duluth. I've stayed many times both for business and pleasure. Very clean and modern accommodations along with very friendly staff. When traveling with my family for pleasure- we make it a point to stay there. My family consists of my wife and two German Shepherds- YES- this place is VERY dog friendly and my pooches always get a warm reception from the staff. Keep up the great work!!

Room Tip: Try to get the lakeside rooms for obvious reasons- the "city" view room consist of looking...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Doug B, General Manager at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Tool578,
Thank you for your very kind review of our hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you, your wife, and your two German Shepherds back during your next visit to Duluth!

Sheraton Duluth Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a job interview. It is right on the main street and they gave me a room with a nice view of the lake, so I got to see a nice sunrise (but it was -20 F). The bed was one of the most cozy and comfortable I have ever slept in. They had robes to wear! The staff at the desk were so nice I could not believe it. I did not run into the housekeeping but they did an excellent job with my room each day. They had a shuttle to take me around and the drivers were fabulous. They have a restaurant and I had a decent breakfast there - it was great as can be expected from a breakfast. I hung out at the bar and the bar staff were great. It is a small place so feels kind of homey that way. It is walking distance to a really cool, very old diner type of place and also near a nice coffee shop. I would definitely stay here again. Highly personalized service.

Room Tip: Try to get one that overlooks the lake, but you need to get up for the sunrise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear CCG_from_Denver,
Is a very kind review, and thank you for taking the time to post these comments.
I am thrilled to hear that our service made the difference in your experience.
We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth, and I hope your interview went well.

Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel is modern and new. The bathrooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. Hall ways are quite because of design features. Food is good, and the lounge staff is friendly. Only quirk is the long trek to the parking garage. Overall a great place to stay in a good location.

Room Tip: Try for a club level room facing the lake.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear craig c,
Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.
I am especially glad to hear that our staff was able to make a positive impression on you, I will certainly pass your kind comments their direction.
I appreciate your review, and we will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Niles, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Sheraton Hotel is nice. I had a Club Floor room which in many instances has some extras that are very nice to enjoy, but nothing great here for snacks. Not in Duluth in the winter. Here in Duluth, you can get a good cup of coffee 7/24, which was nice in the Club Room.
The hotel is nice and clean, but it does not just shout greatness. Some of the interior things could be better suited for another style hotel, such as the French doors on the bathroom. There was a shortage of electrical outlets for the modern day traveler that has computers, more then one phone in many cases and chargers.
The front desk staff meet the requirement that they do their job okay. The personal friendliness that some service providers have seems to be missing.
The bar tender was great but a bit over priced on the drinks. Not his fault, but the hotel management.
The restaurant was okay for breakfast, and dinner, small and comfortable. Friendly waitresses on morning and evening shifts.
Shuttle driver was very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for the Lake Superior side for a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Larry A S,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. If there is any further detail you would like to discuss, please feel free to reach out to me at 218-336-2719 at any time.
Thank you for your comments, we hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Easy location off Superior Street. Parking garage north (behind) hotel, connected by skyway. Are able to unload/load luggage at front of hotel though. Have free hotel shuttle service, takes you anywhere within 5 miles (tip the driver). Pool must have been treated on Saturday, kids were coughing and fumes so strong our eyes were burning and we were not swimming. Not pleasant. Called for towels for our room once & never did receive them, had to use a handtowel after showering. Our room faced the skyway and parking structure. Our friends room faced the lake. We both paid $89.00/night. I thought that was disappointing. French doors on our bathroom & if you didnt close them or your window shade, you could see right into the skyway and vice versa. Creepy! They should consider privacy glass on the room windows. Bar was overpriced! With a few requests on a better room facing the lake, this hotel is OK for the price.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear MNIris,

Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

In the meantime, please allow me to address a couple of your concerns. Please know that we monitor our pool chemical levels electronically as well as manually to create redundancy. I will certainly review the overall performance of our practice to ensure we are able to provide the most comfortable and safe swimming environment moving forward.

Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail to learn how you feel we could improve our overall services. You can reach me at 218-336-2719, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Earlysville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Sheraton Duluth meets most of my criteria.

LOCATION: The hotel is right on Superior Street, within walking distance to Canal Park, the Depot, etc, and loads of fun bars and restaurants.

NOISE: The Sheraton Duluth gets high grades: the room doors aren't on powerful springs, as they are at many hotels, and so they don't slam loudly. The heating equipment is reasonably quiet. And the window glass is thick enough that one can't hear the drunks across Superior St. coming out of the Irish bar.

Warning: the odd bathroom double-door arrangement does nothing to stop bathroom noises, so if you're traveling with somebody, make sure you really like them.

BEDS: Excellent!

ELECTRIC POWER: Not so good. I like to plug in equipment (like cellphones) next to the bed, to recharge and wake me up. The Sheraton just barely passes: one available electrical outlet on one side of the bed, and zero on the other (without unplugging the clock, which I hate to do, because you're a jerk if you don't plug it back in and reset it). I wonder if they'd lend you a power strip.

VIEW: on the Lake side, the view is spectacular: the aerial bridge, the double jetty, Lake Superior (it really is Superior). The City view side. however, is of a parking garage.

WORK: Great big roomy desk. But they charge five bucks a day for Internet, as many expensive hotels do. Makes me crazy.

OVERALL: Loved it. I will return.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are at their best on the fourth floor and above.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear EarlysvilleTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of our hotel, this level of detail is important to us in our continued efforts to improve, and is important to other travelers that are considering staying with us.
We will take your feedback into account as we plan for the future, and if there is anything you would like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 218-336-2719.
Thank you again for your review, and we will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Plymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have no complaints about the hotel staff, they are excellent. We arrived later than check-in on a weekend and we were promptly assisted with a smile and directed to the parking ramp which is located in a rear public parking area (parking must be validated to be complimentary.) The only disappointment during our stay was the restaurant--not the food, but the pace! We ordered two entrees (we were offered wine or water to drink) and waited an hour and half for any other service; aside from the two of us there was one large group and another couple. It didn't seem like too much for a restaurant to handle and if it was, perhaps they were understaffed. In any typical restaurant the service would be classified as below par and definitely not worth the value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ceajaykay,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your experience with us, and I am glad that our hotel team was able to make you comfortable.
I am sorry to hear that your service in our restaurant was less than perfect, we strive to provide the best, and your experience is out of the ordinary. It is our goal to grow and improve during any opportunity, so if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 218-336-2719.
Thank you again for your review, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!