“Great hotel on Lake Superior (with some quirks)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Earlysville, VA
“Great hotel on Lake Superior (with some quirks)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Sheraton Duluth meets most of my criteria.

LOCATION: The hotel is right on Superior Street, within walking distance to Canal Park, the Depot, etc, and loads of fun bars and restaurants.

NOISE: The Sheraton Duluth gets high grades: the room doors aren't on powerful springs, as they are at many hotels, and so they don't slam loudly. The heating equipment is reasonably quiet. And the window glass is thick enough that one can't hear the drunks across Superior St. coming out of the Irish bar.

Warning: the odd bathroom double-door arrangement does nothing to stop bathroom noises, so if you're traveling with somebody, make sure you really like them.

BEDS: Excellent!

ELECTRIC POWER: Not so good. I like to plug in equipment (like cellphones) next to the bed, to recharge and wake me up. The Sheraton just barely passes: one available electrical outlet on one side of the bed, and zero on the other (without unplugging the clock, which I hate to do, because you're a jerk if you don't plug it back in and reset it). I wonder if they'd lend you a power strip.

VIEW: on the Lake side, the view is spectacular: the aerial bridge, the double jetty, Lake Superior (it really is Superior). The City view side. however, is of a parking garage.

WORK: Great big roomy desk. But they charge five bucks a day for Internet, as many expensive hotels do. Makes me crazy.

OVERALL: Loved it. I will return.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are at their best on the fourth floor and above.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear EarlysvilleTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of our hotel, this level of detail is important to us in our continued efforts to improve, and is important to other travelers that are considering staying with us.
We will take your feedback into account as we plan for the future, and if there is anything you would like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 218-336-2719.
Thank you again for your review, and we will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Plymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have no complaints about the hotel staff, they are excellent. We arrived later than check-in on a weekend and we were promptly assisted with a smile and directed to the parking ramp which is located in a rear public parking area (parking must be validated to be complimentary.) The only disappointment during our stay was the restaurant--not the food, but the pace! We ordered two entrees (we were offered wine or water to drink) and waited an hour and half for any other service; aside from the two of us there was one large group and another couple. It didn't seem like too much for a restaurant to handle and if it was, perhaps they were understaffed. In any typical restaurant the service would be classified as below par and definitely not worth the value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ceajaykay,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your experience with us, and I am glad that our hotel team was able to make you comfortable.
I am sorry to hear that your service in our restaurant was less than perfect, we strive to provide the best, and your experience is out of the ordinary. It is our goal to grow and improve during any opportunity, so if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 218-336-2719.
Thank you again for your review, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This fairly new Sheraton meets or exceeds all expectations. Rates may be somewhat above
downtown motels (there are no other hotels as such) but are reasonable. This is about 3/4 mi. from the Canal Park lakefront, easily accessible by car or bus. Parking ramp is connected to the hotel. Unless you really demand a lakefront location, this should be your choice while visiting Duluth and vicinity.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Outsider33,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel, I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations.
We feel fortunate for our location and our amenities, so it is exciting to hear that you enjoyed them.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had a nice 2 day stay at the Sheraton Duluth Hotel last weekend. The facility is very clean with a very friendly staff. There were only a couple minor issues I had with the place. First off, the car park is quite a hike from the hotel itself, requiring loads of walking and multiple elevator trips. Again, this was a minor problem for us, as everything we did while in town was withing reasonable walking distance. The second slight disturbance was the lack of in room amenities such as a mini fridge and microwave. This didn't bother me too much, I just found it odd for a Sheraton property to not have these things. Other than those minor quarrels, I would recommend this hotel to others if given the opportunity.

Room Tip: Opt for the lake view if possible, It can be quite a breathtaking sunrise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear charliebrown22,
Thank you for your review of your stay with us, this type of detailed feedback is extremely helpful in our continued improvements.
It is great to hear that our team was able to exceed your expectations from a service standpoint, and I will gladly share your comments with them.
I understand your concerns in regards to the amenities in your room, and I encourage you to reach out to me directly for your next reservation, as we do have a variety of rooms to choose from, and I would be happy to ensure we pick the one which best suits your needs. I can be reached directly at 218-336-2719.
Thank you again for your comments, and we will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I cannot recall the last hotel where it took 22 mins to get from the carpark to the room. This one did! No signage, pull up in front, get told to use the public carpark at the rear of the block, airwalk back to the hotel, single elevator (8 mins wait as someone had jammed lower doors open with a hotel luggage cart) walk through lower hotel back to reception, then up another elevator, find room swipe keys did not work - unforgiveable - head back down and repeat. Lovely after a long day.

Staff were stuffy and aloof, especially front-desk. With one exception - the shuttle guy was just great and got us to and from our restaurant despite 9,000+ hockey fans filling the hotel and demanding his services. 10/10 there, but nowhere else. Room was classy but very, very dark with an overpowering smell (stench) of furniture polish. Despite a requested late check-out, I was just glad to get out of it into the fresh air by 9am(!)

If I had paid anything like rack-rate I would have felt cheated. Only reason we chose it was because we had points to use. Next time, I'd stay somewhere warm, friendly and pleasant like the Canal Park Lodge we have used several times before.

Bellissio's at Canal Park was a GREAT place to eat. Also the Fitgers brew-pub has a great late-night atmosphere and is a couple of minutes walk.

Room Tip: The higher the better. And facing the lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear ToodleooCaribou,
Thank you for the feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

Please allow me to address a couple of your concerns. I regret that you had difficulties getting from the parking ramp to your room, this is not the typical experience and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed. I am however, glad our shuttle driver was able to exceed your expectations. I will share your comments with our team to ensure we are able to provide the best service possible moving forward.

Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail to learn how you feel we could improve our overall services. You can reach me at 218-336-2719. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards

Sheboygan, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Duluth, a quality hotel in downtown overlooking Lake Superior. The location is walking distance from several restaurants, a casino, and the lakefront walking path. A free shuttle is provided to the surrounding area. Parking is in a parking structure behind the hotel, connected to the hotel by a skywalk. The staff was profesional. Our well furnished room was good sized and quiet. The bathroom was nice. The club floor has a large lounge open 24 hours with a good buffet breakfast in the morning and a tasty selection of hors d’oeuvres in the afternoon. Duluth is an interesting city making a transformation. This hotel is a good place to stay while in the city.

Room Tip: Pay the extra amount for a room that faces the water.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WIRobert,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us.
We feel thankful that we are in such a convenient location, and it is great that you took advantage of our shuttle. Stay tuned for more improvements to our community as we grow and transform.

Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a truly beautiful facility but the edges of the halls and rooms need a good cleaning. The rooms are large and well decorated and the hotel has a great location in the downtown. There is a great little Irish Pub right across the street and lots of shops within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear strange,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. We feel fortunate for to be in our location, and I am glad you find our building beautiful. I appreciate your feedback regarding our hallways, I will pass that along to our team, and we will have it rectified prior to your return.
Thank you again for your review, we will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!