“Nice Hotel - In the heart of downtown Duluth” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Nice Hotel - In the heart of downtown Duluth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The pros: We were on the club floor with a beautiful lake view. Close to the very nice lake walk and within walking distance of Canal Park. Comfortable bed, nice shower. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Cons: Rate of almost $300 w/tax on the weekend is very expensive for what you get. Getting to the parking lot is a lot of up and down through many doors. The area is somewhat questionable at night. Our room had a grease stain in front of chair, linens on bed were washed but stained and needed bleaching. Bathroom is large but has little storage and the doors are awkward and loud when opening and closing. Blankets are too warm... I was hot with them on and cold with them off ....need to add a lighter one.

The hotel is fairly new but could have been designed better overall. Club lounge felt dark (shades were actually down in the morning - I need bright and cheery when I wake up). Felt the entire hotel was dark and could be lightened up.

We would stay here again but only in a lake side club room as we really did enjoy it despite the cons. Duluth is a beautiful, unique city and this hotel is right in the middle of all of it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Boardwalk2003,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us, and I am glad our staff was able to make the difference for you. This type of detailed response is exactly what we need in order to improve for the future. I will share your comments with our team so that we can keep a closer eye out for blemishes in the room.
Thank you again for your review, and we will look forward to your next visit to Duluth.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The positives: The hotel is very nice. The room was clean, the furniture looked new, there were plenty of pillows, the location is very convenient. We were there for a wedding at the Greysolon Ballroom in the building next to it - the Greysolon is accessible by skyway but it is just a short walk across the street. There is public parking in the ramp behind the hotel and the hotel will validate your ticket - there was plenty of parking available. The room we had was on the 6th floor (club level) and it was quiet throughout the night. The bathroom in our suite was stocked with shaving cream, a loofah, mouth wash, body wash, shampoo and conditioner.

The negatives: The beds were kind of hard, the bathroom in the suite we had (2 double beds and a queen sleeper sofa) was like a home bathroom where the sink, mirror, toilet, and tub/shower were all in one room - made it difficult to have 6 people get ready in the morning. Also the bathroom door didn't have a lock on it - it had two French-style doors that when closed still had a gap in the middle which didn't feel very private. I also thought it was a bit expensive compared to other similar hotels.

Overall though this was a great hotel and I would recommend it.

Dear Lina6878,
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

I am glad you enjoyed yourself while you were in Duluth, it sounds like you were part of a great celebration. I am sorry to hear that our beds and bathroom arrangement did not meet your expectations, I can certainly appreciate your point of view. I am however, thrilled to hear that our location and the condition of the hotel were acceptable, and that we have your recommendation for future stays.

Thank you again for your comments, we will look forward to your return.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My first visit to Duluth. Two nights in this fairly new property. Nicest Sheraton I've ever been in. I tend to avoid the brand due to horrible experiences in the 80's and 90's. My room was on 3rd floor on front side of building along Superior Street. Avoid that side of the building if you like to sleep! There is an Irish pub across the street and they patron hang on the sidewalk to smoke and they get rowdy! I was there on a Monday and Tuesday night and it was impossible to sleep, can't imagine what it is like on a weekend. But I had a nice lake view. That's the tradeoff. If you value quiet over view, specify a room on the backside. Traffic noise was an issue as well, lots of Harley's around here, and the 5am dumpster run didn't help either.

Room Tip: Rooms in back should be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Doug B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Doug M,

Thank you for writing these comment about your time with us, your suggestions will prove to be helpful to future guests. I am sorry you experienced excess noise during your stay, it is an infrequent incident and I regret you were disturbed. We hope you will choose us again during future visits to Duluth, and I will be happy to make your next reservation personally. Please feel free to call me at 218-336-2719 so that we can ensure we find a room that works well for you.
Thank you again for your review of our hotel, we will look forward to reconnecting with you soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My fiance and I were in duluth for a wedding and out of convenience chose the Sheraton. We paid $250 for one night in a king lakeside room, which I felt was a little steep for the city but the reception venue was next door so figured it would work best for us. Check in time was set for 3pm which luckily we got into our room on time since we needed to dash in to change and be out quickly. But even with just a few seconds to look over our room we noticed extremely dirty windows (inside & out), dirt all over our white comforter cover, random long dark hairs on our sheets and bathroom vanity top (I'm a blonde...) and just an overall feeling we got completely ripped off. At the reception we spoke with many of our friends that were still waiting to get into their rooms!!! It was after 4pm and check in time was at 3pm but they had three weddings booked and could not empty and clean rooms fast enough to accommodate their paying guests so our friends were forced to get ready in the public bathrooms... talk about frustrating! All I can say is for $150 less we could of stayed at the Holiday Inn and had the same experience but taken some extra cash home which I would rather spend on something much more worth while.

Room Tip: My mother travels for business to Duluth frequently and she said the best hotel choice is the Hilton...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WellTraveled61,

My name is Doug Bremer, and I am the Director of Sales & Marketing at the Sheraton Duluth Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that we aim to provide for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the housekeeping issues you encountered in your guestroom – we would like to be able to correct this immediately. Please feel free to contact me at 218-336-2719 so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our daughter got married and we had several rooms for the event that took place at the Greysolon Ballroom. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were very clean. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Two of our rooms were adjoined rooms which made it very nice for our big family. The doors for the bathrooms were a bit different. Very convenient and within walking distance to many area restaurants and pubs. We will stay again!

Dear BreezeM0m,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel, and congratulations on your daughter's marriage!
We are always honored to be included as a part of the experience during these very special events , and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us.
We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Duluth, and thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We loved our stay! We had such a beautiful room with a great view of Lake Superior. We have family in the area and will definitely stay here again. The location is perfect! We walked down to the harbor.
We also loved the decor. It was updated and luxurious.

Dear Traveler A,

Thank you for choosing us, I am excited that you have chosen us to be the place where your family gathers. A walk down to the harbor is a great way to spend a day in Duluth, and we will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed two nights at this Hotel late July. Great location, within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. Very friendly staff, and a pub across the street that open late night! The room were comfortable, spacious and clean. The best part waking up to a view of the lake and a gorgeous sunrise!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gl0balTraveller45,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel, it is great to hear that our staff made you feel warm and welcome!
We feel fortunate to live in the greatest city on the greatest lake, and I am thrilled that we were able to share a sunrise with you.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, we will look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Duluth.

Sheraton Duluth Hotel

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!