“Neighborhood, cleanliness and service were lacking.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Denver, Colorado
“Neighborhood, cleanliness and service were lacking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is not the nicest Sheraton that we have experienced. The location is not the best for walking to things. The neighborhood is a bit scarey. We always ask for a quiet room and the first room they gave us was right across the hall from both the elevator and the ice machine. We asked to move and we were placed in a quieter room. I guess they just ignored the first request. The next room was not quite clean. I will not go into detail but will say that the bathroom needed to be cleaned - gross!
There is a Hampton Inn down by the Riverwalk that looks nice. Have no idea what it is like inside but the location alone is so much better. If I ever had to return to Duluth, I would give the Hampton a try.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen P, General Manager at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Yogadaph,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your experience. I have shared your concerns for safety with our Greater Downtown Council and the Clean and Safe Team who work very closely with the DPD. I am confident in saying; we all want you to feel safe while traveling to Duluth. Your review doesn't stop there however. Feedback is our opportunity to reinforce and celebrate the things we do well or an opportunity to learn, change and grow. Your feedback regarding our failure to meet your cleanliness expectation will be shared with our housekeeping team. What a great opportunity to learn, change and grow you've provided. I'm confident should you choose to stay with us the next time you are in Duluth, you will experience our growth through feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Sheraton is a lovely hotel right in downtown Duluth that welcomes our doggie "best pals." The amenities are great and the restaurant is one of the best in the area. The only negative is that it is a long walk from the parking ramp into the hotel (through a skyway). This was not a problem for me, but I had to drop off and pick up my handicapped husband off at the front door each time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Holly C,
Thank you for your kind review! Traveling with "all" of the family is important to a lot of our guests so I'm happy to hear this was a fitting opportunity for you. Chef Kevin Ilenda, is a rising star in the Duluth area and we are so fortunate to have him here. Just this week we introduced Sheraton Social Hour (you can check it out on Facebook or Twitter) so yet another reason to come back and try some of Chef Kevin's new appetizers. Although we can't shorten the walk from the ramp to the hotel we are usually very thankful for the skyway connection and covered parking during the long snowy season in Duluth. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you many more times!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

After my stay there, a week later than the hotel charge on my CC, I get another charge on my CC for an additional night stay. After 4 calls over a week and a half in which I was continually transferred to the manager's voicemail and assured he would return my calls, I finally got him to answer. He said that it looks like they put me down for 2 reservations for a room for one of the nights by accident and charged me for a no show. Honestly the first time I have heard of charging for a no show, especially on a weekday. He said it would be refunded that day. 2 weeks have gone by without seeing it yet and being sent to voicemail yet again. You might want to think twice about staying here. There are plenty of other decent hotels in Duluth that have to have better customer service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
rugbybry,
Please know that your review is taken seriously. I do agree the mix up should never have taken so long to reverse and make right. Please know, your feedback is an opportunity for me to follow up with our team on the importance of prompt and timely follow through. Also, please know this is not our normal standard of operations and your review has been shared with our team. Each and every guest is important to us. Problems or service breakdowns can be addressed and fixed if they are known. Thank you for sharing and making me aware of your experience. I hope you will give us a try again and will be able to share with me a noticeable improvement. Thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow and a sincere apology for the inconveniences placed on you by our team.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I spent two night last week in the Sheraton. We have stayed at other hotels in Duluth, but this one exceeds the others. The room was clean. Everything was in excellent condition. There was Starbucks coffee in the room. The shower in the bathroom was expecially nice. It was quiet. We stayed on the club floor where wifi was included. A complementary continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres were available in the lounge on the club floor. The lounge was also available 24 hours which was wonderful, because I am a very early riser while my wife likes to sleep in. A bonus was a beautiful view of Lake Superior and the lift bridge. The staff were helpful, patient and very courteous. We stayed at this hotel about a year ago and we were delighted it provided the same high standard of excellence as our last visit. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake. If at all possible, stay on the club floor (6th floor).
skr33ch,
Delighted to share your review with our team here! We often talk about the importance of delivering excellent service all the time, over and over and your review supports the exact reason why we say this. The next time you are in Duluth and staying with us, I hope I have an opportunity to thank you in person for your review and your belief in our team and service.
Burtrum, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I love staying at this hotel when traveling to the Duluth. The location is perfect for being able to get out and about downtown so no need for a car. I love that it is close to the Blackwater Lounge, Pizza Luce, and the Fitgers mall. The rooms are very comfortable, and the beds and pillows are probably the best I've ever slept on in any hotel! I also like having a fan on for "noise" at night which they have, so it drowns out all the outside noise and I hear nothing until I want to. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. Will keep returning to this property on future visits to Duluth!

Freespirit74

It is wonderful to hear that you've found our associates and our hotel location and property as one that fits your needs. I'm delighted to share your review with our team here! If you haven't already enrolled in our Starwood Preferred Guest program, I would encourage you to do so and receive additional benefits for your loyalty. In our efforts to understand our guests and provide them with more opportunities to enjoy our hotel, we've recently added Sheraton Social Hour, Monday through Thursday and Make A Green Choice is also available at our hotel. Our associates would love an opportunity to tell you about both programs next time you stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and fellow travelers!
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was initially impressed with this hotel. Although, when I went to bed I set the thermostat at 72 and made sure it was on heat mode (in can get cold in Duluth, even in summer). I awoke at 4am and my room was FREEZING - the thermostat read 52 degrees. I ended up heating my room with the hair dryer. In the morning I requested maintenance - he showed an hour later and said it could not be fixed until after we checked out. I think this was a major inconvenience for the guest and that should have been acknowledged by SOMEBODY. When I checked out the girl just said: BYE. So I left very unhappy. Next time I will try the Radisson down the street.

Room Tip: ask for lake view and as high as possible - there are sad buildings (though low) across the street
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
493Ron,

Sounds like we really missed an opportunity to make it right for you. You are exactly right when saying, we should have acknowledged the issue you were having with your AC/Heat. Please know your feedback provides a very valuable training opportunity and I have followed up with our team. Unfortunately parts and pieces break but our service and exceeding our guests expectations should never break. We would love an opportunity to show you how we've learned and implemented your feedback. Please be sure to connect with me the next time you are traveling to Duluth, I would love an opportunity to apologize in person.

Thank you again for your feedback so we can strive to be the best.
Big Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Normally I don't stay at Sheratons but they had an attractive AAA rate and the Canal Park hotels were all full. I made a great choice. Collegues who stayed at the Radisson said it was a dump, and the Holiday Inn was ok. Located downtown on Superior St. This property was much more elegant than any of the other major chains. Parking is free with validation (more on that later) and the covered parking and skyway access to the hotel would be a major plus in winter. Distance from ramp to hotel involves a walk and elevator but isn't a problem. Lobby is nicely decorated with a nice lobby bar and adjoining restaurant. Staff was very friendly. The front desk was busy, and Scott who I assume was a bellman took the time to ask guest if they needed any directions or recommendations while they waited. Overall the staff gets high ratings. The rooms are very nice, good sized and clean. We were lucky enough to get a lakeview room on floor 5. The TV was a little tricky as it was wired to a wall switch and won't work initially but we figured it out. The bathrooms are very nice with detail tile and above average amentities. Plenty of hot water and pressure. Beds were very comfortable, fresh crisp linens and great pillows providing a great nights sleep. The HVAC worked efficiently and quietly.
Why they missed excellent rating? There was a noticable stain on the floor of our room. The room was very clean but I expect something like that be addresses if you are to meet an excellent rating. Also, we experienced a problem during our first validation at the parking deck. The front desk associate struggled with our ticket and then said "it's stamped you should have no problem." Guess what? The gate would not accept our ticket and allow us out. Luckily we were able to communicate to the parking office through a speaker at the gate and they buzzed us out. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Even rooms face lakeside. Ask for floor 4 or above to get a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Triplewin,

Why thank you for your detailed review and especially for noting the service provided by our bellman Scott. The team here takes pride in the hotel and strives to connect each guest to understand what's important during your stay. Hopefully you will be pleased to know we've taken action on addressing a proactive approach to the stains that unfortunately happen (especially during our busier times) and because of your feedback we are more aware of our hotel presentation, right down to the carpet. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Again, thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow through your gift of feedback.

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!