“Cozy & Convenient in the heart of downtown” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #12 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Cozy & Convenient in the heart of downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

If you want to visit the charms of the North Shore without the unknowns of renting a cabin, the Sheraton Duluth Hotel is exactly what you are looking for. You still get a cozy feel but you get the added convenience of a free parking garage and comfortable lodging.

This hotel has a nicely redone workout room. It is walking distance from Fitgers and there is a cute Irish pub across the street. If you have kids, there is a small pool next to the fitness center and it has a tiny hot tub too. If you want to go visit the Aerial Lift Bridge and the free Maritime Museum in Canal Park, the dive is super short. Don't forget to drive across the Aerial Lift Bridge and go all the way down Park Point to the tiny Sky Harbor Airport at the end. There you can park your car and walk over the dunes to the shores of Lake Superior.

I travel for business, so I was able to get an upgrade to a suite which was FABULOUS. Room 616 is a great suite with perfect views of Lake Superior from both rooms, a jacuzzi tub, and an electric fireplace. This would be a great place for a romantic weekend getaway, or for a comfortable room for a family of four.

This hotel is the perfect place to stay snug inside all day or to use as a home base to explore Duluth. The two BEST places to go eat are the Duluth Grill and Scenic Cafe. The Scenic Cafe is about 15 miles up the North Shore. It is a lovely drive and the food is fantastic.

Remember that Duluth is a great city to visit in ANY season, even Winter.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, a suite is worth it! I recommend the room we had - 616 - or anything on that s...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed two nights on a business trip to Duluth. The cappuccino machine in the bar/breakfast area was out of order, the walk to Starbucks took 20minutes. Breakfast took forever to get to the table (even though there were only 4 customers in the room) and standard coffee was macdonald's grade. The Ironing board in the room collapsed when I attempted to use it. All of this is OK but at $158/night I would expect better. Beds were comfortable, room temperature was adjustable and internet was free (shocking) --breakfast was not. I did not think that the parking garage was that bad... though it was difficult to find in the first round.

Room Tip: No view in rooms at the 3rd floor--demand higher floors!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because we were part of a wedding that was staying at the hotel. It was very expensive, and we were treated terribly by the hotel staff. The room was only O.K. there was no refrigerator, they wanted $3 for a bottle of water, the parking was a 10 minute maze away and if you turned off the lights it turned off everything in the room, TV and Alarm clock included. Also you had to pay for WiFi if you wanted to use it. I don't feel the need to pay an extreme amount of money to be treated badly. I would avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Sheraton on our wedding night. We were staying in a beautiful suit with gorgeous view! The service was exceptional! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

From my first view of the lobby, I was disappointed. It had a feeling more akin with a train depot than a hotel lobby. It was cavernous, vacant. Nothing inviting. Very large walls and spaces with nary a decoration. We arrived at 3:30pm and were told that our room was not ready, despite having advertised 3:00pm check-in. We had things we planned to do, and so I asked for another room that was ready. We were placed in a room with 2 doubles instead of 1 king. No big deal, the clerk did seem put out. We went up to our room and were getting changed for the evening when another couple came in the door! The front desk had checked someone else in to our room. When I called down to the desk to complain, they didn't apologize at first but explained we didn't check into our original room. Again not our problem. I asked for a rate reduction, and received a paltry $30. A small concession to having had strangers walk in on my wife in her underwear. The actual room was nice. Textured wallpaper accented the wall behind the beds. Nice beds, with soft comforters and pillows. HD TV. There are lots of things they don't provide. No wi-fi (that's extra $$), water bottles ($3 each), no refrigerator, no continental breakfast. And probably the biggest inconvenience is the parking. There is a connected parking ramp, but you have to walk 15 minutes to get there. It's a city parking ramp, and the hotel does validate your card. It would be much better to do valet parking with the distance to the ramp.

We travel to Duluth frequently, and have stayed in many hotels. We will not likely be staying at the Sheraton Duluth again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Noisy rooms, you could even hear someone sneeze next door. The TV was unplugged so we thought it was broken. There was a general lack of professionalism by staff. There was only one martini glass in the ENTIRE bar at the hotel. The club lounge was unacceptable as we had to ask for juice & other items at breakfast. After we got juice, others in the lounge asked for some too because they were unaware it was available... Annoyingly, the attendants hovered over us while we were eating in lounge. The "happy hour" was not even close to what most hotel clubs offer. We had a group that stayed on the club floor so we could meet there but didn't since only beer & wine were offered & it was not complimentary. Also the snacks at the happy hour were mediocre. Most lounges also have refrigerator stocked with complimentary water & sodas but not here. The only computer for use in the lounge was broken and the internet connection there was extremely slow on my laptop. Finally, I am gold status with Starwood & was working in my room on business when I really needed about a one hour extension to complete my work which was denied by the front desk. I had to hurry & shower then go to the lounge to complete my work. I was told that they had to clean all the rooms & couldn't allow me an extra hour. When we left the lounge after my hours work, they still hadn't even begun to clean my room and there wasn't even a housekeeping cart in sight. It's not a good way to treat guests. This hotel should not be a Sheraton but would fit better in the Sheraton Four Points category. I still like Starwood but was extremely disappointed with this hotel!!

Room Tip: Lake views are nice
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hurley, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed here a few times to take cooking classed and it was a great time. The hotel is large and is somewhat difficult to navigate if you have never been there previously but the dining and rooms are very good! We loved our time but you can judge for yourself...

Room Tip: Ask for any free upgrades, you have nothing loose.....
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Duluth Hotel? Share your experiences!