“Nice new hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Nice new hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very nice new hotel, very modern and clean and only a short walk to canal park. The exercise room is very small and the wifi is slow but there is outlets everywhere!! Which is very helpful!! Overall very good hotel

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My family stayed here for 1 night on our journey up the shore. The hotel is brand new and nice. No complaints about our room. We had a room with two double beds - They were comfortable and just fine for our family. I appreciated the small refrigerator and microwave in the room. Everything was clean and just as we would expect. There were multiple spots to plug in electronics which was nice. If you are particular about a view - don't stay on the parking lot side. Continental breakfast was ok - similar to those you would find at other locations. We did take our son into the pool - keep in mind it is really small. I was surprised at how small it was. We were there on a very busy day - so it was crowded. Hot tub was large and nice and warm. They had a small workout room - I didn't use it, but it looked adequate if the hotel isn't busy. Will stay here again - close to canal park.

Room Tip: Stay lakeside - it's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I went to Duluth for a couple of days with my husband, nine month old, and four year old and we stayed at Park Point Marina Inn. The Inn is newly built and everything is very clean and in good shape. There is a nice main room with a fireplace and breakfast tables that is cozy and friendly. The breakfasts were good for a continental breakfast. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and my 4-year old daughter considered them all friends by the end of the trip. The hotel provided a pack n play for an extra charge for our nine-month-old to sleep in. The location of the hotel was great. It is just across the lift bridge from canal park so you aren't caught up in all of the canal park traffic and throngs of tourists. The hotel is right on the marina and, if you pay a little more, you can have a room facing the water. Each room has its own balcony so you can go out and relax and watch either the ships or the city. A couple of blocks away, there is a nice sandy beach on Lake Superior. While the lake is really too cold for swimming, my daughter enjoyed wading and building sand castles. There is also a little park across the street from the beach. The hotel offers bikes to rent and my husband enjoyed a nice bike ride while we were there. Overall it was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Views from the Marina side are nicer but cost more. City side looks out over the parking lot but it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I planned to spend several days in Duluth. I picked the Park Point Marina for several reasons. The hotel is new so I knew it would be clean and modern. Also, I found a great room rate through Expedia, $128 per night. We were on the city side, but the room was a good size and had a balcony. We had a great view of the Lift Bridge and could see some of the marina. The young lady who checked is in was very pleasant. She explained when the shuttle ran and the breakfast times. The hotel has a little lounge in the lobby where you can buy beer and snacks. There is a pool and several outside patios. We loved the location. It was quiet and it was nice to be close to the water and to walk through the marina. We walked the 4 blocks to Canal Park. It was fun to walk over the bridge. For a buffet type breakfast, we thought the food was good. The only complaint we had was with the WIFI. It was so weak that we couldn't use it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'm a graduate of the University of Minnesota-Duluth, and I have been coming to Duluth at least once a summer or more ever since I graduated several years ago from UMD. I have stayed at least one night in all the hotels in Canal Park, and the Holiday Inn & Radisson in downtown Duluth as well.

I was so excited when I heard there was going to be a new hotel on Park Point, that had a pool (South Pier doesn't), and it was going to be ready (and maybe some training "bugs" would be cleaned up) before my stay in Mid July! It was nice to have a brand-new hotel, complete with that brand new smell and beautiful parking lot and landscaping. The rooms were decorated nicely and very clean, the towels were nice and fluffy, and the bed was comfy. However, I felt like I was mentally holding back an age 3 year old tantrum of disappoinment from the moment I arrived.

For starters, our "King Suite" was T-I-N-Y. We had to park our double stroller out in the hallway so we could move about the room and still open doors to the closet, bathroom and out to the hallway. And, this was a handicapped accessible room. I'm sure it's designed with Americans with Disabilities Act in mind, but it was a lot smaller than I thought I was getting for a "King Suite". It was as suite as a regular hotel room at the Motel 6. In fact, the rooms at Motel 6 might be larger.

On top of that, we had a view of the parking lot, and no balcony (I think we were one of the only rooms that didn't have a deck). Our windows didn't open in the room (I know that's a safety thing, but there are hotels that have a portion of the window that can open), we relied on the air conditioner the whole time, when it was beautiful outside.

The "gourmet breakfast with butcher block meats and farm fresh eggs" was your typical hotel breakfast, just like your average Hampton would serve. Runny scrambled eggs cooked in a large vat (farm fresh? from what farm? These had liquid egg written all over them). When someone says "butcher block meats", in my mind I picture a dude with a chef's hat carving something to my liking. I was served round sausage cut in fourths, just like Hampton Inn does it (except Hampton doesn't cut them into 4ths). I bet if bacon were on the menu, it'd be the paper thin stuff you get at any typical full breakfast hotel. It tasted fine, not complaints, but with the website saying "Our Pantry Breakfast Buffet features butcher block meats, Belgian waffles, fresh fruits, farm fresh eggs..." I was expecting something like my breakfast at Chase on the Lake in Walker, MN (with thick cut bacon, eggs cooked to order and a dude with a chef's hat at a carving station).

Check out is 10:30 am. My husband had a Dental Seminar that went until 11. When we asked the night before if we could get a later time, the answer was, "Well, we don't know how quickly room turn-over will be tomorrow so we can't say yes until tomorrow morning, can you ask again after 7 tomorrow?" My husband did ask on his way out to the last day of the seminar, and they obliged with an 11:30 am check out, but, I have yet to stay at a hotel and request a late check out the night before and not get my wish granted when I ask the 1st time. I understand if I was checking out on Friday or Saturday, but Sunday? Come on!!! How many business/leisure travelers do you have coming in RIGHT away on a Sunday afternoon? Regardless, I checked out at 10:25.

Don't forget to tell them you didn't use the safe. If you forget, you get charged for it.

Then, there's the "free shuttle that conveniently brings you back and forth to Canal park every hour" It goes from 5-10, last shuttle leaves canal park at 10 ish. Restaurants usually stop serving food in Canal Park at 11-12 if I remember right, and most turn into a bar until 2 am, right? When we asked if we could call for a lift after 10 the answer was "no". Lucky for us, we are fine with walking, and it's not that far of a walk. And, with the bridge traffic, its oftentimes faster to walk than to drive.

Traffic is HORRENDOUS especially on the weekend with sailboats coming in and out of the harbor, and 1,000 foot boats going through at a snails pace. Spare yourself the traffic headache (and alleviate a car for the residents of Park Point to have to battle across the bridge) and stay at a hotel IN Canal Park. I highly recommend the Canal Park Lodge, Inn on Lake Superior or Comfort Suites Hotel. All competitively priced, most rooms have a balcony and all rooms have great views. It's actually worth it to pay a little more at these hotels for a lakeside view. If you really must stay on the other side of the bridge, go to South Pier. Awesome views of the canal (worth the extra $$ to see) and because it's right at the base of the bridge, getting in and out before the bridge goes up doesn't seem as bad.

I admit I'm really very critical when it comes to Customer Service because I was in the industry for so long, and I've stayed at much worse hotels (which, I expected them to be worse because of what the nightly rate and condition of the hotel was), but this place is way over priced tor it's location and amenities listed, I was extremely underwhelmed.

I intend on staying IN Canal Park next time I visit Duluth.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, try to get one with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Park Point Marina Hotel is new, having just opened at the end of May, 2014. Our room, on the 3rd floor, had a balcony overlooking the marina - very nice! The bed was very comfortable, and the room was spacious. Having a small refrigerator and microwave was convenient. The staff were friendly and made us feel immediately welcome upon check-in. The included breakfast was good, and well-stocked with a nice variety of items. The location is a little ways away from the busy canal park area, but they have a free shuttle that operates in the evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina/bay view room - it's worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Nice to have everything shiny and new. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful. We had a harbor view room on third floor-perfect for us with the window open all night and the balcony for watching the boats. The breakfast was adequate but the first morning the eggs and hash browns were ice cold. We took the evening shuttle to Canal Park even though it is not far to walk, nice touch. At checkout, we were asked if we wanted a receipt and we said yes. It was nicely itemized so that we noticed a $1.50 daily charge for the safe in the room. The charges were removed as soon as we asked and while it is a small charge, it could easily missed. We enjoyed our stay and probably will stay there again.

Room Tip: The harbor side is quieter (no parking lot), better view in my opinion. Can leave the window open on...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!