“Perfect North Shore rental!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of North Shore Cottages

North Shore Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
North Shore Cottages
Save Saved
You added North Shore Cottages to your Saves list
7717 North Shore, Scenic Drive, Duluth, MN 55804   |
Warsaw, Poland
“Perfect North Shore rental!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

A group of four of us rented their two-bedroom cottage for a night. It was a great property, with a view of the lake and a clean, well-supplied place to stay. The two beds and two baths cabin has a full kitchen, so we had no trouble cooking supper and breakfast. The cabin was excellent value for money - much better than getting hotel rooms! Mark did a great job of making our stay comfortable. He even provided us with firewood and coffee filters. It was a quiet spot, and we had a great time in the morning with a run/walk along the road by the lake just down the driveway from our cabin. Lots of wildlife to see - an eagle flew by in the evening, and a deer walked past at about the same time. A good spot for birders. We saw a couple of woodpeckers around, plus many other birds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in late September. The cabins were definitely older but were kept clean. Needed some serious updating but for the price you can't expect too much more. Bathroom was extremely small though. View was great though, right across the street from Superior. Quiet and the price was very reasonable. Manager was super nice as well. We were only staying Fri/Sat night. Almost every other place we called required a 3 night minimum in September. North Shore Cottages had no problem with us staying two nights. Location is great, easy drive in to Duluth but out of the hustle and bustle. You're right on your way up to the North Shore. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I do a lot of research before booking any accomodation andq chose this place because of the location and price. We were very satisfied with our one bedroom cabin. It was clean, had everything we needed and was quiet. We stayed for 5 nights. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I came into town for a couple days' bumming around en route to a family get-together, and just winged it on the lodgings. After going in to price some rather seedy chain hotels and motels along I-35 in the direction of West Duluth, I just gave up in disgust, blew past the main part of town, drove up London Road and onto the North Shore, and happened upon North Shore Cottages.

The proprietor ('forgot to ask his name, but a friendly and helpful sort,) took me out to have a look at a couple of units after I'd asked about his least-expensive units - I was trying to keep a semblance of a budget for this trip because I had a lot I wanted to do and see before the week was up. He mentioned he'd been having some wasp problems one of the smallest units and showed me the one he said they'd fixated on for whatever reason, and he wasn't kidding - a dozen wasps were buzzing lazily around the front door and a few had gotten inside the unit. They were oddly disinterested in humans however, so were more of an annoyance than anything else.

Even though I mentioned I'd be happy to share the unit with the insectoid air force, the owner thoughtfully declined and showed me the next one over, number 4 - wasp-free and with a better view of the lake. Both of these were the smallest units, priced at around $60 a night (this was the weekend prior to the Independence Day holiday, so a very good deal,) so I booked Friday and Saturday nights, June 29th and 30th.

The general feel is more or less exactly like a cabin at summer camp - only with carpeting, a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. I didn't look at any of the bigger units, but from what I experienced, North Shore Cottages are exactly what they say they are and don't pretend to be anything more: Good, clean, comfortable and basic lakeside cabins.

The complex is not house-flipper polished-curb-appeal pristine, but I saw none of the maintenance issues that others mentioned. The room is clean; the mattress basic but comfortable; there's a small desk under the center window; a small flat-screen television with broadcast digital; a small table with the microwave and coffeemaker on it; a no-frills but clean and well-maintained bathroom with a shower stall.

Behind the bathroom door is a gas heating unit, which being late June I had no need to try out. The room could benefit from an inexpensive window A/C unit - there's a standard box fan bravely handling ventilation - but that would likely drive up the electric cost a bit during the summer months. The only other thing that's lacking is some form of Internet service. The owner mentioned they're planning on getting a network set up, but that there are some issues needing to be worked out first.

After a couple minutes' thought that quickly transformed itself into a positive: My stay there turned out to be far more enjoyable and relaxing for the absence of that great time-sucking electronic vortex standing at the ready. Too many people - myself among them - spend too much time with nose buried in communications devices and not enough time enjoying the world around them, I think. It was nice to have nothing to do after dark but dive into a book and catch a classic and supremely cheesy old gothic monster movie, I think "Son of the Second Cousin Twice-Removed of the Mummy" or something. Lots of the bandages and groaning and carrying passed-out girls around, plus a standard-issue torch-wielding mob of angry villagers to show him and his evil henchman what for. Just great stuff.

Unless you're planning on cooking gourmet feasts, the bare-bones fridge / microwave / coffeemaker combination is perfectly adequate and a nice suprise for small cottage-type lodgings. A week later I stayed at the Radisson high rise in Fargo for more than double this rate, and was both amazed and annoyed to find that the rooms there have neither fridge nor microwave - so North Shore Cottages can stick that feather in its cap, righteously. I didn't do any cooking, but the fridge was essential and vastly appreciated, for keeping some basics nice and cold in the balmy summer heat.

The scenic loop of North Shore Drive is perfect for a run or bike ride, and when you're done the shower, though a no-frills stand-up stall, has good water pressure and temperature and is kept flawlessly clean. The location is a ten-minute drive to downtown Duluth and maybe half an hour in the other direction to Two Harbors and Split Rock state park, but has the quiet and serenity of the country. Pretty near ideal, I'd say.

I'll be a repeat customer here when I'm back in the Duluth area, most definitely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012 via mobile

We had a very nice time. The location was great. You get a taste of being in the wilderness but town is just a short drive away. The cabins were very cozy and warm and everything was as expected. They even provided a tv with a great movie selection. The kitchen provides basic needs and were even supplied with tea and coffee. We will most definitely be back this summer!

• Stayed March 2012
Webster, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We have mixed feelings about our stay here. At first glance, we were happy to be in these old fashioned little cabins. The good news is that we slept well and the shower was hot. On the other hand, the entire property seems to be in disrepair. The cabins are just falling apart - sagging roofs, chipping paint, even the sink handles didn't match and were on backwards! That's just a bit too much. The whole place needs some TLC. We don't mind rustic, and actually wanted it to be rustic but expecterd some homey touches. We couldn't wait to leave and wouldn't come back here unless the property was kept up better. A bit of paint and TLC would go a long way. The location is good if you want a great lake view though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Rochester, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Based on the review I'd read here on TripAdvisor, as well as the photos on North Shore Cottages website, I anticipated the lodgings to be small, a bit dated, but clean, quaint, and well maintained. And they were, in fact, all of those things, with the exception of well maintained. Chipping paint and water stained and drooping ceilings were difficult to overlook. The deck was very small, and the shower in the bathroom was just a plastic stall shower.

None of this was enough to make me want to demand my money back or anything, but I was a bit disappointed. I was expected the cottages to be kept up more than they were. That being said, the owner was very pleasant, the bed was comfortable, and the location was great. Not sure that I'd recommend this to anybody for the price that we paid for it, and I probably wouldn't stay here again, but it wasn't a total dive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to North Shore Cottages? Share your experiences!