“friendly wait staff” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 199 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Doing business, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is fine dining for everyone. A place where you'll find a favorite dish and a dining experience that fits your personality. All Black Woods restaurants feature a full bar and Happy Hour specials. Visit us in Duluth, Proctor or Two Harbors.
Des Moines, Iowa
“friendly wait staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Loved the Pomegranate Chicken Salad! The staff seemed very friendly & attentive. Also a nice atmosphere even though it's on a busy street. Yes, it is a little higher priced, but chain places are too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon at Black Woods!

Duluth, Minnesota
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Since I've moved to Duluth a year ago I've been wanting to dine at Blackwoods, dont know why it took me so long to do so but finally had the opportunity. My wife and I decided to have dinner there before going to a play on 6/8/13. The first thing I have to applaud at Blackwoods was the staff and the service which was very friendly and attentive but that's where my enjoyment ended. I was surprised by the prices for the dinners and drinks, how expensive they were. Having to pay an extra $2.99 for a salad which every restaurant that I've ever been too offers one with a meal. My wife had the steak combo with the coconut shrimp which was $22.99 and strawberry ice tea $2.67 which came to $25.66 (No salad). The meal itself tasted alright but she could have got the equivalent at the Outback Steakhouse for $10.00 less. I ordered from the Comfy Classics side of the menu and had the meatloaf at $13.99, which I have to give credit to Blackwoods on the portion which was more than enough but I also wanted a salad so I ordered one and an ice tea. I was disappointed when I received the salad because of how little amount there was for the $2.99, it did come with a dinner roll and no butter. I was afraid to ask for butter for the reason I didn’t know if I was going to be charged extra for it, I was already paying almost $20.00. I have never paid that much for meatloaf which was covered partly in brown gravy but the portion that wasn't covered looked and tasted like it was overdone, like the meatloaf had been reheated more than once. The reason why we didn't order any alcohol was because of the price, for one beer we could have bought a six pack or two glasses of wine we could have bought a nice bottle at the liquor store. The waitress was nice and gave good service except we were never offered dessert. After dinner we went to the play and during it I suffered stomach cramps and Intestinal discomfort, I can only assume it was from the meatloaf. I am not a food critic but if I were I would give Blackwoods on a scale of 1 to 10 a 4 because of the over pricing of the meals and the glasses of ice tea ($2.67 each) and the less than enjoyable taste of our meals. I’m truly sorry for this comment because I was really looking forward to a good meal since I was wanting to experience Blackwoods for a long time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your honesty in feedback. We greatly appreciate your business.
We did also receive an e-mail from you discussing your experience. Please look for an e-mail directly from our Director of Operations. We look forward to discussing your experience. We value your comments. Your business is impprtant and we look forward to seeing you at Black Woods again soon!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“A yearly visit everytime we are in Duluth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We come to this restaurant, I'll admit, mostly for the crostini appetizer. It is so good. But, they also have other great food on the menu. I had the salmon sandwich this time and ended up taking the salmon out of the bun and eating it by itself because it was cooked so perfectly I wanted to enjoy it in all its glory! Service is always friendly and attentive. Prices are average. Views of lake superior from many of the tables as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so kindly for your wonderful review! We are so thankful for your business to Black Woods each time you are in Duluth. We love our customers! Thank you for being such a wonderful customer - we look forward to seeing you again soon.
COLOMBIA
“Nice Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We found this restaurant to have a lovely warm atmosphere
The service and food were also quite good.

Visited June 2013
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to seeing you at Black Woods again soon!
Mesquite, Texas
“Nice atmosphere, Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Decided to eat at Black Woods Grill & Bar while in Duluth. We were staying at a hotel down the street and decided to give this restaurant a try. I decided to order a Lavender Martini since it was a type of drink that I've never heard of. The martini was wonderful. My husband ordered a mojito, but he and I both agreed that it was mlacking something...not sure what, but all in all, it was still an ok drink. For the food, I orderd the baby back ribs, which included cornbread, potatoes and beans. All were very tasty. The ribs were very tender, the potatoes were seasoned just right, along with the beans. My husband ordered the fried walleye, and let's just say i could have ordered that also, because it was so, so good. The atmosphere was very nice and quiet, which was just what we wanted. I will definitely be eating at this restaurant when I visit Duluth again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments and feedback! We look forward to seeing you at Black Woods Grill & Bar again soon!