“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ohio
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for dinner when staying at a nearby hotel and while the service was quite good, the food was disappointing. We started with the cheese plate appetizer with drinks. The cheese selection seemed more appropriate for dessert and, most distressingly, the cheese was served cold. The portion size would be suitable for several people to share. On the server's recommendation, I ordered the gnocchi, which were slightly undercooked and heavily covered with a bland spinach sauce. The portion, again, was large. My spouse liked his pasta but wished it had not been so bland. This struck me as a restaurant catering to tourists.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dunedin, Florida, United States
“Hands down the best grilled shrimp I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to Bellisio's for the first time on Sunday, 9/1/13 when we visited Duluth with another couple who had been there many times. Parking is right in back of the restaurant and there's a $4 fee, but you're given a coupon to have the fee refunded if you order an entree at either Bellisio's or Grandma's Saloon.
Bellisio's patio is small and noisy because of its location right on Canal Street so we chose to go inside. We arrived during happy hour and we sat at a high-top in the bar and enjoyed glasses of wine with the focaccia and olive oil that our server brought while we decided what to eat. David, our server, was very good about explaining the dishes and preparations and patient as we went back and forth on what to choose.
We had eaten a substantial lunch so my husband and I decided to share an appetizer of Grilled Shrimp and Fried Green Tomatoes. Here's the description from the menu: "Four jumbo shrimp marinated in olive oil, garlic, lemon, and fresh thyme, then grilled and served over mixed baby greens with polenta-crusted fried green tomatoes topped with garlic dipping sauce". The shrimp are skewered on a rosemary stem for extra flavor during the grilling. OMG--shrimp are one of our favorite foods so we've had them every which way, but those shrimp had great flavor and were grilled perfectly with a little char. The greens were dressed lightly with a tasty citrus vinaigrette, and the sauce on the fried green tomatoes was smooth and garlicky--I cleaned up every bit of it off the plate with my bread.
I prefer fried green tomatoes that have been dusted with bread crumbs mixed with oregano and parmesan, but the polenta crust was fine and the tomatoes were cooked perfectly. We asked our server to bring another skewer of the shrimp and they were just as good as the first ones.
Our friends shared the Fettuccine Alfredo and invited us to try a taste. It was creamy and flavorful and our friends said it's the best they've ever had in any restaurant so one of them has it whenever they come to Bellisio's.
Happy hour is in the bar on Sunday through Thursday from 3 to 6 and apps are $3 off, wines are $2 off, and beer is $1 off. Prices are a bit higher than in many restaurants, but the quality of the food is high and the happy hour specials help out a bit and sharing an appetizer or an entree makes it more affordable.
We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hopkins
“A great find while walking around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stopped in thinking we would just have a drink and ended up having dinner. They have a patio which was full - it was a beautiful day - so we sat inside. The bread is good. The service was prompt and friendly. The risotto was very good and so was the chicken fettucine. We would return to Bellisio's.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Dinner on the plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner last night at bellisio's in Duluth Minnesota. Wasn't terribly Hungary so ordered an appetizer of grilled shrimp, argula salad and polenta crusted fried green tomatoes. It was just perfect for a light meal. We sat on the patio and weather was perfect. The service was very good and timely. The ginger and Jameson was very tasty and only $4.50! The Canal park area doesn't have a lot to choose from and this was a nice respite. Especially for those of us who were not traveling with children. There were none on the patio which in a very family area was kinda nice.

Visited August 2013
Buffalo, New York
“Overpriced for what you get.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I was not impressed. It's pricey considering that the food wasn't that great. I ordered green fried tomatoes as an appetizer. The polenta coating on them killed the dish. It was over coated and raw when served to me. I couldn't even taste the tomatoes. As my entree, I ordered the fettuccine Alfredo pasta with shrimp. It was just average. The sauce was too buttery/oily. I will not visit this place again. Oh, I forgot to say, that we spend $50 including tip and a $4 discount for parking next to Bellisimo. My husbad had a bruschetta as an appetizer, and spaghetti for his Entree. We had just water to drink. That would be a good price for LUNCH ( which is was what we had) only if the food was good. My husband came here sometimes when he lived in the boonies and it was an agreeable alternative to Tim Hortons (he does not like food chain restaurants.) However, I think that Tim Hortons is not looking so bad after today.

• Visited August 2013