“Fun location, great beers and food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Lawrence, Kansas
“Fun location, great beers and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

The title of this review pretty much says it all. We were there on a Thu night and it was very busy. Beautiful location on the lake shore.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago
“OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The #9 rating of this place probably does more to show the limits of dining in Duluth than it does to recommend it. For a burger pub it's fine. Nothing special. Solid food -- limited menu. The brewed beers were fine, but don't expect anything special. Not particularly worth going out of your way for.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Great pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Stopped here while just driving by and looking for a place to stop and eat. Only had an appetizer, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and beer selection. We did the sampler and loved trying the different beers they make . Bartender was super friendly and knowledgeable. Wish I could have bought a sample pack of beer and take it back with me !

Rochester, Minnesota
“To Dine or Shop? That is the Question”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a mid-afternoon meal here Saturday, August 23rd, 2014, while returning from a quick vacation getaway along the North Shore of Lake Superior. Even though we stopped to eat about 3pm, we still had a 15 minute wait just for a table for two to open up.

We were shown to our table courteously and didn't have to wait long to be asked for our drinks. I quickly called out an appetizer as the waitress left to fetch beverages. I’m not a drinker so I can’t help you with the brews, but this place obviously is known for its variety of ales on tap. Several patrons were taking advantage of a “sampler” of several small beer servings.

As I said, the place was busy and actually a bit dark and noisy. It was hard for my wife and I to talk since we were seated on the service highway where the food, kitchen, bar and staff had to watch traffic flow carefully. On the flip side-- I was quite entertained watching the circus. The waitress who brought us our drinks and the waitress who took our order were different which was fine with me-- I figured that way we got the attention we needed efficiently.

The second waitress, “K8”, was superb. She took our order and answered a few questions with a friendly smile and great patience (we’re old). My wife ordered black bean chili while I took a risk with the fish and chips.

The appetizer we ordered was a simple, “chips and salsa”. The black/blue corn chips came warm and crispy. The menu didn't mention the chip color, so that was a bit of a surprise, but they tasted fine. The salsa was fresh and chunky and far too little for the size of the chip basket. Our waitress was observant enough to see we disposed of the salsa fast and brought us more.

Our dinner wait was okay considering the place was “line out the door” busy. Food was served hot and looked pretty good. My “chips” (fries really) were great, but the fish were dark and the batter was on the hard-side. I had my wife taste the fish and she actually like the crusty batter. I did too-- the color just threw me off a little. The batter itself had a pinch of seasoning which made all the difference in the world. Inside the crust, the fish was hot and done to perfection. Our waitress returned several times to keep us in beverage refills and bring me some tarter sauce which somehow was forgotten. My wife’s black bean chili was good and portioned generously. She let me try a bite and I happened to find a big, chunky tomato-- Yum! Her meal came with more blue corn chips which she left on the plate since we were already chipped out.

The waitress took care of our ticket at the table when I laid a credit card down-- wow, she’s got great powers of observation.

In Duluth, don’t miss Fitgers… but you might since getting there is a bit tricky. We rode Superior drive East until we saw the LARGE smokestack with Fitgers on the side, then turned right into the free parking ramp and parked at the bottom near the door. Once inside the old brewery turned specialty mall, work your way upstairs and watch carefully how you go-- leave bread crumbs if you must-- it is easy to get lost.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sonoma county
“I don't know what went wrong.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We went in about 6:30 pm on a Tuesday evening. We just wanted to have a beer at the bar. No room so we went across to the "martini bar/beer" cave. The bartenders description not ours. We almost had to beg to get a beer. He was not forthcoming or helpful on the different beers. Very disappointed. We didn't feel welcome.