“Great Food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Takeout, Waitstaff
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you like BBQ, you'll love this place! I'm from Duluth and if I want BBQ this is where I go. It is down in the Canal park area which can sometimes be a busy, but it is great food.

Visited March 2013

Superior, WI
“Always an unpredictable dining experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been to several Famous Dave's restaurants in Wisconsin and Minnesota. This one is about average when compared to the others. I haven't found any of them to be very close (in quality or ambience) to the original restaurant outside of Hayward, but since I live in the Twin Ports I tend to visit this one 3 or 4 times a year.

Famous Dave's almost lost me completely as a customer when they dropped the Catfish Fingers off their menu. I was always good for a two-meat combo meal with one of those meats being the catfish. They replaced it with some totally boring cod fillets. Seriously, this dish is about a third as good as the old catfish.

The second biggest disappointment for me is how variable the ribs and riblets are in this place. Sometimes I have fall-off-the bone goodness, but just as often I have a gnaw-off-the-bone yuckfest. I have similar variability with the brisket. Sometimes it's tender and juicy, other times not much different than beef jerky.

The number one saving grace for this place is their sauce selection. I love all their sauces except for the mustard-based sauce. I buy their sauces in the grocery store as well. Dave Anderson is a great American success story. I admire all the adversity that he has overcome, but I think the quality of his restaurants has been slipping away over the years. Here's hoping they rebound in the future.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best place for ribs in Minnesota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When in Minnesota, rib and barbecue lovers have got to go to Famous Dave's. The food is great, the sauce is the best I've ever tasted, and it has a very funky, enjoyable atmosphere. I actually dream of eating ribs there!Just writing this review is making me hungry!

Visited September 2012
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stopped by the resturaunt while our tween age kids were at the adjoining adventure zone . We were greeted quickly and seated in the 1/4 full resturaunt and told our waitress would be right with us. After waiting for 10 minutes I walked to the front and was asked 'can I help you?' Yes I said we 'd like some service. She asked where we were sitting....again it wasn't full .. She said someone would be right there. Another 5 minutes pass. Finally get service and order 2 beers and some wings. I see at the next table 3 families with kids trying to get there ticket Not good We finally get our wings and beer delivered together. My wife leaves to check on kids while I watch the other table try to figure out they're bill the waitress messed up. I haven't seen our waiter the whole time and don't feel like waiting for the bill so I leave a 20 and walk out. Three people standing up front thank me for comming. What a joke. Seemed like it was run by a bunch of part time college kids

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good food for chain BBQ. I do not dislike the place, but it is not a place I go out of my way to eat at. I do like the party platters, as they have lots of different food at a OK price point for a party. If in the mood for BBQ in Duluth, your options are kind of limited and this fills the bill.

Visited September 2012