“Specials” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
minneapolis minnesota
“Specials”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Food was just average. Salsa should have been served with a straw no texture just soup. Beware of the Margarita special they tell you at time of your bill it doesn't include strawberry ones at 11.00 a piece for those.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Duluth, MN
“Great if you like Mexican, not so much if you don't”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Azteca Mexican Restaurant for her birthday dinner. I've never been a big fan of Mexican food, although my wife enjoys it a lot more and regularly had it when she lived in Georgia.

We arrived around 5:00 p.m. on a weekday and were seated right away. A bowl of tortilla chips and salsa (no charge) was brought out right away. We had ample time to study the menu and the waiter checked in on us regularly. The menu has a fairly wide range of Mexican dishes, though for those of us who aren't as fond of it there's still an ample selection and a few American dishes if one desires. Prices seemed about average overall. Appetizers seemed to be on the small side for the price, though the entrees made up for it. The speed of service was very fast.

We did have a number of things we thought could be improved, primarily with aspects of the service. While we were seated and served very quickly, the waiter did not seem especially friendly. I asked a question about one of the menu items, and he came across as though I should have known what the dish included without having to ask. Also, each of us ended up getting something incorrect in our order. I ended up getting just a cheese quesadilla when I ordered the one with cheese and chicken. My wife ended up with a diet Coke instead of the regular Coke she ordered. The quesadilla ended up being surprisingly thin and not exceptionally sized.

My rating is probably the average of how my wife and I would rate it separately. Once she got the regular Coke she ordered, she said her meal was great. I ended up leaving still somewhat hungry and disappointed, though I knew having Mexican meant a lot to my wife for her birthday and I wanted her to have it even though it wasn't my favorite. Still, both of us agreed there are better options out there for Mexican.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great addition to Duluth.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Almost everything was delicious. I had the shrimp faijitas, my husband had the enchilada platter. Mine entree was good minus the beans. They tasted a bit burnt. All the enchilada's were great except the beef.

Fun atmosphere with amazing wall paintings. Just a fun place to be with great, friendly service. Next time we will try some authentic drinks and stay away from the HFCS margaritas.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“love the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Really great food,sauces,hot sauce,rice etc. Shrimp enchildas marvelous. Enchildas salsa verde great,chimis terrific. Unique handpainted decor. Reasonable prices.

Visited July 2013
Grand Haven, Michigan, USA
“Disappointing meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We eat out a lot, and love Mexican food, but we won't come back to this restaurant. The food was bland, the salsa was bottled, the plates were cold, and the pork was greasy. The service was great, but the wait staff should not wear powerful cologne as it could send some people into an allergy attack!

• Visited July 2013