“Grand Dame on the Hill!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
Save Saved
You added Cotton Mansion to your Saves list
2309 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55812-1808   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Grand Dame on the Hill!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our first visit to Duluth - and a lovely B & B in which to stay. Beautifully restored on the inside, and we were enjoying our tour until a midwest storm crashed through, and knocked out all our power, and that of the neighborhood around us. Then the house felt almost like a haunted house, and we used the light of the overhead skylight in the stairwell to guide us to the main floor. When we returned after dinner, all was restored! Charming owners who served a delicious breakfast of watermelon with blueberries for the seeds, and yummy lemon/berry French toast. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Book early to get one of the larger rooms. We were in a smaller room, the sunset suite, in the main...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a beautifully restored mansion in Duluth! We have been to numerous B & B's, and typically find that most places are stronger than others in certain areas. In this B & B, we found some of the most impressively restored common rooms in the mansion of any that we have visited. The hosts were very friendly, and the breakfasts were quite good. If you go, try to stay in the main house rather than the carriage house which is behind the mansion. The carriage house has nice amenities, but isn't on the same scale as the main home.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house - not the carriage house!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The mansion is beautifully stunning. The history is very interesting, and discussing it with the owners kept us intrigued. Breakfast was beautifully done and delicious, nothing short. I would recommend for those that are seeking something different, for alone time minus distractions. No real complaints here. We enjoyed the journals in the Rose Room with notes from others that have stayed. Breakfast is a bit late for us at 9:30, as well as the coffee. I would have liked to have coffee when I awoke at 7am. Would I go back? Probably not, because I prefer a hotel. But I would definitely recommend the Cotton Mansion. Beautiful, one of a kind, historic property, intelligent and friendly owners.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Room...a smaller room. We were happy with it, but would liked to have stayed...
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I have been to many B&B's and this one REALLY WOWED us. This mansion is huge! Big open communal rooms, very ornate. Beautiful glazed stone sun room for all to enjoy. The rooms were awesome and the views were great.

The food was great and the hosts are very welcoming. There are a lot of B&B's in Duluth, but I HIGHLY recommend the Cotton Mansion.

Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

my wife and i spent the weekend at the cotton masion in duluth. we drove there from the twin cities with no expectations at all. when we got there we were very surprised by the place. Keep in mind this is a very old house and the upkeep must be very expensive, so you may find some things that are not in great shape or some finishings with lot of wear to it. Overall it was great, the place had a lot of history to it, very cozy place, owner was a nice guy. if possible get there a little early, if there are no guests yet you get to tour all the rooms in the house and maybe decide for a next time. we stayed at the "out house", some sort of old guest house in the back of the mansion that was turned in two very private, very cozy and great rooms (if you can stay there instead of the main house).when we got to the room it was clean, fire place going, lavander smell all the way to the hallway, bed was a little soft for me, but good. the jacuzzi was clean, great shower. we were very pleased. keep in mind that there is NO TV, NO INTERNET and cell service is a little poor, make sure this trip is to relax in the tub with the fire going and a good glass of wine in your hand. the room had radio with cd player, mini fridge, fire place, jacuzzi and very private!the breakfast was really good, fresh fruit, a hot plate, coffe, tea, juice and great service with nice people around the table. we really liked it and plan going back in the future.

Room Tip: stay at the "guest house" in the back, not at the main house. DO NOT take kids with you.
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Cotton Mansion has become a destination for my husband and I, rather than just a place to sleep while in Duluth. We have made it an annual trip for the last 3 years and will definitely come back again and again. When you first walk in you will be overwhelmed by the majesty of the architecture and craftsmanship of this beautiful old home. Every room and common area is always spotless throughout the entire stay. I don't now how they do it but they do it gracefully so as not to disturb the guests with those menial tasks. We find we want to spend more and more time just relaxing in the garden room, living room or library, reading or playing a game of chess, and less time away when we stay there. The house is filled with beautiful music every evening and is lit romantically for a relaxing ambiance. On weekends they serve wine, tea, cookies, cheese and crackers from 4:00 to 6:00. I cannot speak for the other rooms but the bed in the Lillian James room is very, very comfortable and the room warm and welcoming. I really cannot wait until I can return. Happy travels to a beautiful time!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful and well decorated. Personally I like the bath separate from the bed area b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Cotton Mansion for the first time, second B&B visit overall. I must say it exceded both our expectations in the best way possible. Ken & Kimberly truly know how to make guests feel as comfortable as possible. The Mansion is very neat, Clean, Food is wonderful!they even accomadated my Egg allergy for breakfeast. I would tell everyone who is curious about a B&B. for any occasion, this is the best one!!! the Fireplace is a nice touch as well as a relaxing Whirlpool. best service, We will be back for yrs to come....

Room Tip: the Lilian James room is very nice and affordable for quick getaway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cotton Mansion? Share your experiences!