“An experience...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
2309 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55812-1808   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Hudson, Wisconsin
“An experience...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The mansion is beautifully stunning. The history is very interesting, and discussing it with the owners kept us intrigued. Breakfast was beautifully done and delicious, nothing short. I would recommend for those that are seeking something different, for alone time minus distractions. No real complaints here. We enjoyed the journals in the Rose Room with notes from others that have stayed. Breakfast is a bit late for us at 9:30, as well as the coffee. I would have liked to have coffee when I awoke at 7am. Would I go back? Probably not, because I prefer a hotel. But I would definitely recommend the Cotton Mansion. Beautiful, one of a kind, historic property, intelligent and friendly owners.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Room...a smaller room. We were happy with it, but would liked to have stayed...

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I have been to many B&B's and this one REALLY WOWED us. This mansion is huge! Big open communal rooms, very ornate. Beautiful glazed stone sun room for all to enjoy. The rooms were awesome and the views were great.

The food was great and the hosts are very welcoming. There are a lot of B&B's in Duluth, but I HIGHLY recommend the Cotton Mansion.

Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

my wife and i spent the weekend at the cotton masion in duluth. we drove there from the twin cities with no expectations at all. when we got there we were very surprised by the place. Keep in mind this is a very old house and the upkeep must be very expensive, so you may find some things that are not in great shape or some finishings with lot of wear to it. Overall it was great, the place had a lot of history to it, very cozy place, owner was a nice guy. if possible get there a little early, if there are no guests yet you get to tour all the rooms in the house and maybe decide for a next time. we stayed at the "out house", some sort of old guest house in the back of the mansion that was turned in two very private, very cozy and great rooms (if you can stay there instead of the main house).when we got to the room it was clean, fire place going, lavander smell all the way to the hallway, bed was a little soft for me, but good. the jacuzzi was clean, great shower. we were very pleased. keep in mind that there is NO TV, NO INTERNET and cell service is a little poor, make sure this trip is to relax in the tub with the fire going and a good glass of wine in your hand. the room had radio with cd player, mini fridge, fire place, jacuzzi and very private!the breakfast was really good, fresh fruit, a hot plate, coffe, tea, juice and great service with nice people around the table. we really liked it and plan going back in the future.

Room Tip: stay at the "guest house" in the back, not at the main house. DO NOT take kids with you.
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Cotton Mansion has become a destination for my husband and I, rather than just a place to sleep while in Duluth. We have made it an annual trip for the last 3 years and will definitely come back again and again. When you first walk in you will be overwhelmed by the majesty of the architecture and craftsmanship of this beautiful old home. Every room and common area is always spotless throughout the entire stay. I don't now how they do it but they do it gracefully so as not to disturb the guests with those menial tasks. We find we want to spend more and more time just relaxing in the garden room, living room or library, reading or playing a game of chess, and less time away when we stay there. The house is filled with beautiful music every evening and is lit romantically for a relaxing ambiance. On weekends they serve wine, tea, cookies, cheese and crackers from 4:00 to 6:00. I cannot speak for the other rooms but the bed in the Lillian James room is very, very comfortable and the room warm and welcoming. I really cannot wait until I can return. Happy travels to a beautiful time!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful and well decorated. Personally I like the bath separate from the bed area b...
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Cotton Mansion for the first time, second B&B visit overall. I must say it exceded both our expectations in the best way possible. Ken & Kimberly truly know how to make guests feel as comfortable as possible. The Mansion is very neat, Clean, Food is wonderful!they even accomadated my Egg allergy for breakfeast. I would tell everyone who is curious about a B&B. for any occasion, this is the best one!!! the Fireplace is a nice touch as well as a relaxing Whirlpool. best service, We will be back for yrs to come....

Room Tip: the Lilian James room is very nice and affordable for quick getaway.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We got a late start going up to Duluth for a romantic weekend with my husband. We were definitly going to miss the Wine/Cheese social from 4-6pm that they put out for us. By 6pm of not checking in, Ken called and was wondering when we were going to arrive. This was a welcoming feeling since we have never been to a bed and breakfast and it sure beat a hotel where no one waiting for your arrival. He was very specific with directions of where he would leave the key and when they would be back, but if we needed anything to give them a call.

Upon arrival there was a key on the front door with specific directions on where to park and how our stay would work.

Walking into a beautifully restored mansion was an enchanting feeling. It was very quiet and relaxing. Ken and Kim were very accomidating and sweet. Our room was very cozy and the bed as comfortable as mine at home. Breakfast was delicious and the other couples were a joy to talk to at the breakfast table.

Definately will be going back!!

Room Tip: All rooms that we saw looked beautiful!!
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful 2 night stay at the Cotton Mansion, for our Honeymoon. We stayed in the carriage house in the Bella Flora room. Ken walked through our room with us explaining where the fridge, coffee, how the Jacuzzi tub worked as well as the shower. The bed was very comfortable, gas fire place was gorgeous. The room was clean, large, private and very cozy. They provided lavender candles, bath salts, shampoo, conditioner and even lotion. The Jacuzzi tub had an included heater that kept the water warm for as long as you wanted to enjoy it.

The mansion was built early 1900's. They have kept/restored all original furniture, wood work and light fixtures. It is beautiful. Ken ran through the entire history of the house and Cotton family during breakfast at our request.

They make AMAZING breakfasts. The first morning they made eggs Benedict with fresh fruit and an apple muffin. The second morning they served fresh pineapple with stuffed french toast. Very good!

We plan to go back!

Room Tip: The Bella Flora room in the Carriage house was great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cotton Mansion? Share your experiences!