“A Step Back to Another Era!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
2309 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55812-1808   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Minnesota
“A Step Back to Another Era!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

From the moment you enter the drive way of the mansion, you feel regal! The hosts are most gracious. The mansion is truly a history lesson of dulth, with many historical pictures and books to look at. The rooms are so very romantic as well. Breakfast was fabulous. If you are looking for a romantic place to stay in Duluth, you will not be disappointed one bit!

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Robbinsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have stayed at the "Cotton Mansion" a number of time's,for the simple fact that the service and hospitality is genuine and warm! My husband and I always have a quiet,relaxing weekend! The breakfast that we always look so forward to, is "spot on!" You need to make a reservation and stay,you will love it!

Room Tip: All of the room's are great! You could go their website to get a look at each room.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Cotton Mansion during my first trip to Duluth, and it was absolutely wonderful. We planned our visit to the city only one week before we went, and we managed to get into the B&B through another guest cancellation (I had emailed through the website to be put on the wait list). It was such an unexpected surprise to be staying at a B&B, rather than a chain hotel.

We arrived late from the Twin Cities on a Friday evening, and our room in the Carriage House (Bella Flora) was waiting for us with soft, relaxing music playing and dim lighting. The room was large compared to an average hotel room - seating area, as well as a functioning fire place and large whirlpool (equipped with bath salts) in addition to the shower.

Breakfast was in the main house, which is gorgeous. Other reviews speak of its history - it is truly breathtaking. Coffee is served around 8, and breakfast is at 9 with the group at one large dining table - mostly other couples ranging from early 20s to early 50s. The group was lovely - a little awkward at first but then people started talking about where they were from etc. Stuffed French toast (some of the best I've had) and Eggs Benedict made breakfast a treat (and filled you up). Ken and Kimberly, the owners, are very aware of any food allergies or specifications - you can simply ask. Since we had checked in late, Ken and Kimberly took the time to show us around the house. There is a phone in the foyer that has their number where they could always be reached. After breakfast, Ken spent some time speaking to the group about newer restaurants/places around Duluth. We also had fruit, wine, and cheese which is served around 4-6 in the main house.

On Sunday, we asked Kim if we could keep our road bikes in the carriage house after checkout while we went hiking - she was more than happy to help out how she could! The Cotton Mansion was the perfect way to spend a weekend in Duluth - it felt like you were going home after a fun day of activity. I would stay here every time I came to Duluth - you will not be disappointed! It was incredibly romantic if you are traveling as a couple.

Room Tip: There are two rooms in the Carriage house (Bella Flora and the Garden suite), which is a separate bu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orr, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I really can't add anything more to the previous reviews which praised this wonderful B&B. They pretty much covered all the bases. My husband and I stayed there with another couple, and we all felt we might end up part of a British murder mystery a la Hercule Poirot since the staircase and the placement of the rooms around the balcony, looking down over the staircase, added to the feeling of a house that could be filled with intrigue.

The rooms were mostly filled, so we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast with the other guests and received a fascinating account of the house's history from owner Ken.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Unfortunately, I cannot even comment on the nature of the architecture or charm of the Cotton House because I was never given the chance to stay. I made a reservation with my boyfriend, complete with valid credit card information and a note implying that we planned to use gift certificates (since the website boasted a gift certificate deal that included a bottle of champagne.) All within a few hours, we received a confirmation email, an inquiry about the gift certificates and an email stating that we "did not respond to the inquiry email in a timely manner" (only hours later!) When we emailed back AND called to amend the situation, they had unapologetically given our room (and the remaining free room) away without any further accommodation. Obviously, we have no intentions of ever working with this establishment again; I am appalled at their poor policies and quality of costumer service.

annmeyers, Owner at Cotton Mansion, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are unaware of any Gift Certificate problem of this type. This sounds like a program conducted by Crowd Cut which offered a free night. We always make a concerted effort to accomodate all of our guests. We are not sure why this guest did not follow through, as we would have been able to complete a reservation for them.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed for a weekend. Check-in is at 3:00 or 4:00; I'm not sure what happens if you need to arrive at a different time. The house is on a quiet street in an older, restored part of Duluth shared by a few other B&B. I felt very safe walking in the neighborhood - both mornings I walked about 5-blocks straight down the hill to a coffee shop just above the lake. I saw a red fox in one of the neighbors yards on one walk!
You are asked to remove your shoes in the foyer - slippers not provided. The public area downstairs is very nicely restored and welcoming; A library, sunny "garden" room, sitting area and dining room plus an outdoor patio. There is an internal light well above the beautifully carved stair case. Most of the furniture in the public areas appear to be from the same period as the house. The owners are very happy to talk about the history of the house.
Breakfast was very nice, with fruit preceding the main course. Breakfast is served in the dining room one-time only, with all guests seated at 9:00 AM. Coffee and tea are available starting at 8:00 but are cleared away with breakfast. I would have preferred coffee/tea to be available earlier and through more of the day. Wine, cheese, crackers and nuts available in the late afternoon.
The sleeping rooms are on the second level - the owing family lives on the third (top) story. The house is clean and very quiet and we slept well. Large whirlpool tub in the bathroom, but no shower. Bedroom furniture is hotel quality.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This was my first time staying in a bed and breakfast and I wasn't sure what to expect but the pictures online do not give justice to the beauty inside the Cotton Mansion! I loved hearing about the history of the house from the owners and would definetly recommend this place to anyone wanting to getaway! I went for the weekend and it was definetely relaxing and romantic setting. Great way to experience Duluth!

Room Tip: I stayed in the lily james room and was quite impressed
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cotton Mansion? Share your experiences!