“Stately B&B with all the amenities!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
2309 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55812-1808   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Stately B&B with all the amenities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed in the Bell Cotton Suite at the Cotton Mansion. The room was very large and comfortable. No need to get into the details here, you can see pictures on their website.

The building itself was spectacular and amazing. It is very close to downtown Duluth but on the North side of town so it is easy to take the scenic drive north or head south to Canal Park and the other attractions.

This stay was a standout for us because the owners knew so much about the history not only of their B&B but the neighborhood and culture of Duluth in the early 1900s. Having this background made our stay more enjoyable and we were able to appreciate the grand buildings throughout the city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I purchased the same crowd cut offer that the previous reviewers mentioned. While the weekends were booked, I booked a Sunday and Monday night without difficulty. We stayed in the large terrace suite. We had views of the lake and a wonderful large room. We were impressed with luxury and peaceful atmosphere. We rarely heard any noise from other guests. The breakfasts were delicious and we appreciated their willingness to accommodate food allergies or needs. I enjoyed looking at the blue prints of the mansion as it was originally built. We had a great time and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Cotton Mansion registered with CrowdCut to offer a 2-night stay deal, including weekends. I purchased this as a gift and attempted to book any Friday and Saturday night. I was then told that all weekends were booked for the deal and I would have to choose weeknights. Essentially, the deal was mis-represented and in retrospect was something of a "bait and switch". While many lodging accomodations wish to boost their weekday business volume, they should not go about doing it in a way that misleads customers and creates frustration. For this reason alone I cannot recommend Cotton Mansion. To run a successful businees, I believe that the customer should feel valued and respected, and unfortunately Cotton Mansion does not embrace this philosophy. They offered no sympathy nor reimbursement whatsoever for the already-purchased deal when I informed them of my desire not to take 2 days off from work in order to stay at their property.

Stayed March 2011
annmeyers, Owner at Cotton Mansion, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
The Crowd Cut promotion had specific reservation deadlines. Those that missed these deadlines were still given many options to use their certificates. For those that could not adjust, they were able to contact Crowd Cut for reimbursements.
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My wife and I have high expectations for cleanliness and coziness. Our comforts were met and the environment was very clean. We stayed in the Lilian James room which had the fireplace and warm jacuzzi--must haves in the middle of January. The house is a very well built mansion that allows for privacy from other guests during your stay. Ken and Kim were very professional and served breakfast to us as if we were royalty.
This house is a must see, and the amenities within the house are worth the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

My girlfriend and I went to the Cotton Mansion for a nice Duluth weekend getaway to bring in the new year. We stayed Friday and Saturday night. The stay was great from the beginning to the end. Ken and Kim, the owners, were very friendly. We were warmly greeted to the mansion on the first day and shown around the place and given a quick overview of the places history. Over the next couple of days Ken gladly answered our questions about the mansion and its history, from area history to the family's history that built and lived in the mansion. He even told us about how they came about buying the mansion and what they did to turn it into a B&B.

On to the mansion review. The mansion itself is gorgeous. The detailing of this place is amazing. From the dark stained wood to the giant fireplaces in most of the rooms, it is a very warm and welcoming place. We stayed in the Lillian James room which had a nice sized bed with a great fireplace at the foot of the bed. It also had a separate bathroom with a big jacuzzi bathtub. The room was beautiful, very clean, and was exactly what we were looking for. The only negative of this review, which did not affect our trip, was that the jacuzzi jets had a lot of soap buildup from most likely not being run in a long time. Anyone who owns a jacuzzi (we do) knows this happens with them. We tried using it the first night and the amount of hardened soap that came out of the jets when we turned it on was more than we were willing to try and deal with, so we elected to run a nice hot bath without using the jets both nights. It was still very relaxing and not a big deal to us. We brought a mini DVD player and watched some movies from the tub to relax at the end of each night. It was a perfect end to each night.

From 4-6 each day some nice snacks and pop were put out for guests. Chocolates, cookies, and shrimp were some of the snacks put out on different nights. The first morning of our trip we were served fresh pineapple that was cut in a very cool manner, which was followed by stuffed french toast with sliced apples on it. On the side we were served a small spiced sausage. It was all excellent and very filling. For beverages, we were giving fresh orange juice and option of coffee and or hot chocolate. For day two's breakfast we were served eggs benedict with a cinnamon muffin. Once again, it was excellent. They really know how to make a great tasting breakfast and present it well.

Overall we had a great relaxing time at the Cotton Mansion and will recommend it to friends staying in Duluth. Both Ken and Kim were very friendly on our trip, along with the other couples we stayed with. From what I could tell, the other couples had just as great of a time as us. During this trip to Duluth, I also proposed to my then girl friend from a lookout point on Skyline Parkway that looked over the top of all of Duluth, at night. If you are planning a trip to Duluth be sure to make the Skyline Parkway drive all through Duluth at night.

Thanks again Ken and Kim, we had an amazing trip and hope to be back sometime in the future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband booked this B&B for our 3 year wedding anniversary and I have to say it was the perfect location and experience for us! We stayed at the Garden Room of the Carriage House and everything was perfect and so relaxing. The bed was SOOO comfortable and the room was beautiful. And the mansion was beautiful and full of history. The breakfast was also wonderful! We will certainly go back again! Thanks Ken and Kim for a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My husband and I decided to visit the beautiful city of Duluth for our first anniversary. We were told by some friends that the Cotton Mansion was the place to stay in Duluth, with excellent service, comfortable rooms, and a great location. The mansion turned out to be all this and more! We couldn't have been happier. Our old-fashioned suite featured a jacuzzi and a fireplace, and the complimentary shampoo and conditioner smelled amazing. Our room was always kept clean and stocked with fresh towels, and the lack of a tv in the room made it all the more easy to spend our time reconnecting romantically and to fully enjoy each other's company. Ken and Kim, the owners, were gracious hosts who made us feel warmly welcomed in their beautifully restored home and were more than happy to answer our questions about the history of the house. One of my favorite parts about our stay was the candlelit breakfast. Every day we were served something different yet equally delicious, and I was very grateful that Ken and Kim were very considerate of my vegetarian needs and went out of their way to make sure I got what I needed. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed our few days at Cotton Mansion and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cotton Mansion? Share your experiences!