“awful” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 39 Attractions in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 10 minutes from Downtown Duluth, the zoo offers year-round recreational opportunities for animal lovers of all ages. This zoo features animals from around the world. You'll find Amur Tigers, Snow Leopards, African Lions, Brown Bears, Kangaroos, Gray Wolves, plus a variety of birds, reptiles, primates and barnyard animals. The Lake Superior Zoo is situated on 16 acres of rocky hills, majestic pines and beautiful Kingsbury Creek. Visit our website for information on our educational camps and programs, upcoming events and how you can host an event at the zoo. Open Daily All Year Long. June - September 9am - 5pm and October - May 10am - 4pm
Woodbury, Minnesota
“awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

There was virtually no animals, it was filthy, and they seriously have a crow in a cage. If you want to see animals that are found in a normal back yard then go for it but I was very disappointed. I doubt I will ever get the terrible smell of the lizard area out of my nose and to top it off it costs$8. Never again!

Visited October 2013

Superior
27 attraction reviews
“Boo at the Zoo, great event!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Attended Boo at the Zoo with our two grand daughters, ages 21/2 and 7 months. What a great event for kids! At first the older one did not understand putting on a costume, but seeing all of the other people, including adults in costume, she was more than happy to wear hers. This was the first time also that she could comprehend the concept of trick or treating and all of the tables set up with prizes and treats made it very fun and nonthreatening for her. She greatly enjoyed seeing all of the animals and they seemed to be enjoying the attention as well. Lots of fun activities from face painting, hayride, ring toss, pumpkin patch, and of course the animals and trick or treating. She even enjoyed the 'haunted house". Great halloween event for children and us adults had a great time as well!

Visited October 2013
Rochester
31 attraction reviews
“Very nice small city zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I work in my hometown zoo, I am aware of the challenges of making repairs and major changes. With that in mind, my husband and I were very impressed with this zoo. It should not be compared to any large-city zoos. It is clear that some exhibits are newer or have been improved and others are still in need of upgrading. This is typical of most small and medium zoos, I would imagine. For the most part, we felt like we were on a nice woodland walk. The layout was great and not too confusing. It was a cloudy, almost drizzly day, but we enjoyed it. We knew they had suffered a flood more than a year ago. The exhibit that was damaged is still under repair, but given that funds are needed for repairs, as is decent weather (for the most part), this was not a surprise to us. I loved that we were able to see the bears up close, and the primates. While the lions were also close, this was the exhibit that needs the most attention. It had a nice glass window, but was small. I am spoiled by my own zoo, which just opened a beautiful lion exhibit (very costly). Another zoo near my hometown has a lion exhibit that was not as nice as the Lake Superior Zoo's. Again, it needs to be in perspective and remember that time and money are necessary for improvements. I'm sure they know exactly what needs to be done and it's likely in their long-term plans already.

Visited September 2013
Savage, Minnesota, United States
29 attraction reviews
“Zoo needs a lift”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went to the zoo today. Since the big floor in 2012, it seems the zoo has not recovered. The zoo is located on a beautiful setting but does not have a large number of animals. Had a great walk in the fresh air but was not impressed. (Guess I am spoiled by the Zoo in Apple Valley, MN). I noted, though, that the small children were enthralled. Thus, a great family spot.

Visited September 2013
19 attraction reviews
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This zoo has major positives and negatives. It is a smaller zoo, not a major zoo like the Minnesota Zoo, San Diego Zoo, or anything else. So if that's what you are expecting, don't waste your time. We walked through the whole zoo in under two hours. The biggest plus for me was that nearly every animal that was on exhibit, was more active then at other zoos and you got to see them better. I agree with other reviewers that you would think that by now more progress would have been made with repairing things from the flood. I also think it is overpriced. $10 for this tiny zoo is too much.

Visited August 2013