“Get a Membership! Fun!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 47 attractions in Duluth
Type: Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located 10 minutes from Downtown Duluth, the zoo offers year-round recreational opportunities for animal lovers of all ages. This zoo features animals from around the world. You'll find Amur Tigers, Snow Leopards, African Lions, Brown Bears, Kangaroos, Gray Wolves, plus a variety of birds, reptiles, primates and barnyard animals. The Lake Superior Zoo is situated on 16 acres of rocky hills, majestic pines and beautiful Kingsbury Creek. Visit our website for information on our educational camps and programs, upcoming events and how you can host an event at the zoo. Open Daily All Year Long. Hours: June - September 9am - 5pm and October - May 10am - 4pm
13 attraction reviews
“Get a Membership! Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

In response to reviewers who don't know about the zoo's plans...Yes, the zoo is smaller because Polar Shores is no longer operational (a zookeeper, last year, told us with tears in her eyes that they will not put animals back in that area and they are trying to build a new exhibit on higher ground). It is a small zoo, but is accredited AND there are currently 2 baby Colobus monkeys! We have a membership ($60/year for a family) so if you're going to be in Duluth more than once, it's worth it. We can do the zoo in about an hour and a half, but my kids, who are 8 and 10, always have a great time. Call ahead to see when they have enrichment programs--we've seen the bears be "trained" with apples and gotten to talk wolves with one of the Carnivore Keepers. It's not the Minnesota Zoo, but it's a fun way to spend an afternoon. Really dedicated keepers who have been through a lot this past year.

Annandale, MN
3 attraction reviews
“Disappointed With Zoo's Condition”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I know that the zoo was hit with major flooding last year but hasn't enough time gone by to get the central Polar Bear exhibit back up and running? How about the other empty exhibits? It seemed like a lot or half the small zoo was shut down. I'm not a expert on how zoo's are run by any means but wasn't there any insurance in place to help out? My wife and I visited the zoo on July 4th and we were through the zoo within an hour. Disappointed to say the least. I remember that it was a at least a 2 to 3 hour visit prior. I feel the zoo in Duluth was a 5 star attraction before and I think it can be again. Can't the community help out here? Can't they have a help the zoo day and get volunteers to work a day on a specific project? Boy Scouts? Church groups? Do this every so often throughout the year to at least get the enclosures done and ready along with the landscaping? Just my 2 cents. It really needs to get in gear and get things cleaned up and back up and running again. Until that happens, I can't recommend it even if you have young children to share it with. Sorry.

6 attraction reviews
“So bad I don't know where to start.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My main concern is that the animals are not all in safe enclosures. The Red Kangaroos are only separated from the walking path by a rope fence. They could easily get through it and onto walking path. I thought they were loose and called the zoo. I was told by a bored sounding employee that that is where they are kept and that they "don't usually come out on the walking path." I had my 5 month old baby with me and didn't feel safe. Another couple had two young children and were concerned for their safety as well. I thought this was an AZA accredited facility and that I could feel safe knowing the animals would be housed properly. Not the case.
Previous to this: I was about to enter the petting zoo when the zoo employee suddenly closed it. There were several other families about to enter. We were told it was closed and would open again
at 2:00. There were no signs saying the petting zoo hours and I was told upon entering the zoo that only the "Polar Shores" exhibit was closed (I'll get to that). I came back to the petting zoo at 2:15 and it was still closed.
When I entered the zoo there was a half dozen or so volunteers hanging around and goofing off in the main building. Once you're out in the zoo there's no visible staff, maybe they're afraid of the Kangaroos too.
The great horned owl was being fed dead baby birds, they were laying out in plain sight on a post in the hot sun with flies crawling all over them, gross.
The zoo has lots of stairs, and not many benches. Makes it hard to get around with stroller.
And what kind of zoo has an entry way that looks like a trophy hunters den? Stuffed, as in dead, animals on display. Weird.
The polar shores exhibit was destroyed by a flood in 2012, it's in a state of disarray. It's empty and unkept but you can still walk through it. There's still plenty of evidence of the flood including, including washed out walkways, empty exhibits and broken fences. There's nothing preventing someone from walking off the paths and out into the outskirts of the zoo. It's not a place to let your kids out of sight for even a moment! If they wander off the path they could end up behind an enclosure or even in the river that runs right through the zoo.

Toledo, Ohio
32 attraction reviews
“Fun place to spend an afternoon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have visited this zoo before and after the flooding. My memories of the pre-flood are great. My memories post flood are sad. We are Zoo travelers and have seen many zoos across the country. Comparing the Duluth Zoo to the others ranks it in the lower third of my rankings. But the good news is that this zoo has the most potential for growth. This zoo has a large area of acreage that can house more and new animals. It will also need more funding to increase it's animal population. Get behind your zoo area Duluthians. You can do it!!

Visited September 2012
4 attraction reviews
“Well...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Pretty sad, though to be fair, I know that they suffered a lot of damage due to the flood. However, they didn't really seem to be working on much, and I wish they would have told us when we paid how many exhibits were closed. We did the whole thing in an hour, and I am a zoo fanatic, who usually spends the whole day at a zoo!

Visited September 2012