This is a review from the HSP (highly sensitive person, google Elaine Aron's work if you don't know it.) point of view:
Room was relaxing and simple in it's arrangement, which was up a flight of stairs. Peaceful setting with the fireplace. The place was clean and well tended. Sheets were soft and fragrance free. No smelly cleaners were in the air. Sadly, I am super allergic to dogs and cats so I very much appreciate knowing they do not stay in these rooms.
Canal side room has an unparallelled view of the bridge and the canal. Keep in mind that is not such a big thing if no ships pass by; then it's just a view of a channel. One of the only thoughtful marks of my interaction with the front desk staff was getting help reading the ship schedule that they had printed and handy. There were about 3 ships a day while we were there, none of which we were around to see unfortunately. If I stay here again, I will plan my time to be able to see at least one ship move through the canal and right past the Inn.
Also, at least half of the rooms face in the direction of the canal and bridge which is noisy. Cars make a distinctive noise as they cross it and if you are sound sensitive you WILL notice this. Do not know if it is as audible on the "neighborhood side." BTW-that means you look at the parking lot.
Breakfast had a range of low sugar carbs, no higher protein foods. Coffee, tea and juice options offered too.
If you need/want darkness to sleep, bring a sleep mask if you are in a canal/bridge facing room. The waterfront is rather lit up and the vertical blinds do not keep out the light.
Just across the street is public access to walk the beach of Park Point which is fantastic in all seasons. The ice shelves in the winter are pretty amazing to see. Of course Canal Park is
just over the bridge going the other direction. Another friend got a room right in Canal Park 30% less than the rate here, so it is work checking around. Either way, at the Inn we parked the car and didn't use it at much during our stay because we
and could easily walk to a lot of great spots.
- Also Known As:
- South Pier Inn On The Canal Hotel
- South Pier Inn On The Canal Hotel Duluth
- South Pier Duluth
- South Pier Inn Duluth
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the foot of the Aerial Lift Bridge adjacent to Canal Park, South Pier Inn is Duluth's premier shipwatching hotel. Our 20 waterfront suites each feature a whirlpool, fireplace and private balcony, offering breathtaking views of the Duluth harbor or ship canal. This family-owned property offers the amenities you'd expect in a much larger hotel, yet provides the level of service and attention to detail you'd only find in a smaller establishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your South Pier Inn on the Canal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.