“great views from the balcony” 5 of 5 stars

South Pier Inn on the Canal
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 South Lake Ave, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Bloomington, Minnesota
“great views from the balcony”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed in a canal view suite and had an amazing view of the aerial lift bridge going up and down for the lake freighters and tourist boats. We also watched a sailing regatta going out of the harbor. We got wonderful pictures of the bridge lit up at night and enshrouded in fog in the morning. The suite was well laid out and very clean. The front desk staff were friendly. My only complaint would be that the continental breakfast should include more items.

Room Tip: We stayed in a canal/bridge view two room suite and thought it was perfect. Be sure to stay in a ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Location was amazing, Lovely walk over the bridge to Canal Park. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby and nice area for walking. Hotel clean, well managed by a very friendly staff. Beds small and room nice but nothing special. Location made up for it though.

Room Tip: I am sure the lakeside rooms were nicer but quite expensive
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is located right on Lake Superior and is a stones throw from the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. We booked our room using TripAdvisor and Priceline. We were told when we checked in that the room I requested was not available. While the hotel upgraded us to a larger room, I was disappointed that we didn't get the room I'd asked for.

Everything about this hotel is simple. It is configured into town house style rooms that can be adjoined to allow for different combinations of spaces. All have outside entries and balcony's or patios lakeside. Our room faced the shipping harbor and was literally 10 feet from the shore. The common spaces were efficiently furnished. Coffee service was available all day. Just enough parking for everyone.

Our room was furnished for someone on vacation. No business traveler need apply. Couch, a couple of chairs, coffee table and console furnished the main room. A DVD player was on the mantle of the gas fireplace. The kitchen had a microwave, sink and fridge. The whirlpool was in the main room and was clean and inviting. The huge windows offered lots of light and a beautiful view of the lake. The separate bedroom was simply furnished and faced the parking lot.

I spent a lot of time on the little patio outside our room. It was very private, peaceful and offered the best view of the ships entering the harbor.

While we could hear the bridge bells and some walking around from those staying above us, the room was quiet overall.

Breakfast was good. Pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee.

I would look forward to staying at this hotel again. It has been a long time since I have stayed in a hotel that reminded me to take it easy, unplug, and enjoy the simplicity of a clean, comfortable room. The lake was a bonus.

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was a great choice for us, because I was absolutely fascinated by the Aerial Lift Bridge. The room was very comfortable, we stayed in a Queen Bed Waterfront Suite (which wasn't really a suite, but as comfortable as one) and it was good size. We loved the tub in the room, and the balcony, and the windows overlooking the harbor. Oh, and it was nice having the mini-fridge, and the coffee (in-room and with continental breakfast) was great!

We stayed three nights. The hotel was easy walking distance to restaurants in Canal Park, and walking to the places we ate downtown was feasible, but we chose to drive (a little chilly). I really rate this as one of the best places I've stayed in terms of suiting our tastes and being wonderfully relaxing.

Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights and were very lucky.
I selected it based on price and location to the beach.
The rooms were large, spotless and had very comfortable beds & pillows.
The front desk staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.
They asked each day what our plans were and made recommendations that added to seeing the area.

(THIS IS WHERE IT GETS LONG)
The highlight for me, being a garden lover, was 2 houses that faced the bay. One of the home owners was sitting on her deck with her husband. I went closer to tell her how beautiful her garden was. She immediately came over and started telling me about the garden she and her neighbor shared across from the bay. They hauled in some tremendous rocks and lots of hand picked smaller rocks. Together they planted fruit trees, perennials and annuals timed perfectly for staggered blooming.
The last night of my stay I went to say good bye, but she was not out.
The next morning when I went into the breakfast area there she was sitting at a table talking to someone. I sat at the next table. I heard a few things that made me curious. I had to ask, if she owned the Inn to which she replied yes.
She had no idea when we met, I was a guest at the inn. She was so lovely and proud of her gardens. That is how her staff is trained and that is how her inn is kept.
I would recommend to anyone going to Deluth to stay here.

Room Tip: Any room with a balcony facing the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had the panoramic suite for our first two nights in Duluth and it was heavenly! Hot tub, fireplace, balcony facing the canal to watch the big ships go in and out. Room was very nice, bed comfortable and staff fantastic. Only drawback there isn't much for a breakfast-just coffee and a donut-but it is within walking distance of restaurants. And the view more than makes up for anything!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in the "Grand Panoramic Corner Suite – Upper" (corner unit). Fortunately we had good weather, and were able to take full advantage of the balcony. Unit is very nice and spacious, with great views. In addition to binoculars, we had a telescope in our room, as well as books about the area, ships, birds, etc. We liked that the hotel is off of Canal Park, though just a short walk across the lift bridge. It is surprisingly quiet, despite being so close to the bridge. The ships' horns in the middle of the night did wake us up a couple of times, but that's to be expected, I guess. The only thing missing was stemware and a plate or two to enjoy our in-room picnic that we brought with us.
We don't typically spend this kind of money on hotels, but this splurge was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Room 602 is the upper corner unit.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to South Pier Inn on the Canal? Share your experiences!