“Great Location, OK room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Voyageur Lakewalk Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Duluth
Voyageur Lakewalk Inn
You added Voyageur Lakewalk Inn to your Saves list
Superior St. and 4th Ave. E., Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Springfield, Missouri
“Great Location, OK room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Let me begin this review by stating that I prefer lodging with character as apposed cookie cutter hotel chains. Prior to my stay here, I had spent the week at a turn of the century Train Station Remodeled into a Marriott. Regardless of that prior week, I have traveled across most all of North America and found that good management and pride of ownership will always trump age. However if you are a real estate developer... the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn is a profiteers dream waiting to happen. What I mean by that is... this is the worst house on the best block.

Was the room priced right? Yes.
Was the room in a terrific location? Yes.
Was the room clean? Pretty Much,
Did the Toilet work? Not really.
Was the decor relative to this point in time? Hell No!

There was a Sheraton directly behind us, and if the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn updated their rooms and was $15 cheaper, it would kill the competition.

Long story short... Down Pillow Tops, Comforters, & Pillows are a cheap investment to make a decent motel into a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mpls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

There is a bit of history with this place and myself. I'm a 2nd generation regular when it come to the Voyageur. Most likely for the same reasons. It's a affordable place that is within walking distance many great options for both drink & dining. And let us face the simple facts of life when traveling, If you can get clean sheets, a hot shower, and a comfortable bed, and still be able to afford a decent meal within walking distance of said place of lodging, it ain't a bad thing. And when you're trying to get the most of your vacation dollar, it's not a bad idea to keep places like this in mind. Besides if all you really want is a place to sleep at the end of the evening , why pay for stuff you're never going to use? Think about it sometime.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We needed a convenient motel for a 5 day stay. This isn't the fanciest but very clean and comfortable. We've dealt with only one staff member + she's been wonderful! Thinks of any little thing to make it a nicer stay. I wish I'd caught her name
She's suggested reasonably priced restaurants, offered additional pillows and generally been very sweet

Stayed March 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I wanted to rent a cabin, but didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars. The non-smoking queen jacuzzi suite is a nice compromise. The jacuzzi is in great condition. This suite doesn't have a fireplace. The smoking room and the penthouse suites do have fireplaces. The TV is old, but hopefully you won't be using that. There is a small fridge, microwave, and desk in the room.

We stayed on New Year's Eve. It was so cold, the steam from the jacuzzi formed a seal of ice around the door. The room is right above the front desk, so the staff called to ask if we needed help once they heard us chipping away at the ice. The front desk person pushed the door in from the outside. Once we got out of the room, she helped us again by supplying jumper cables.

The motel is walking distance to Fitgers. I recommend the Duluth Grill for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Perryville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here the days after Grandmas Marathon. Can't beat the location right downtown. One of the rooftop areas has great views of the lake. Motel is old and could use some updating. Didn't have a bath for our child which proved a little difficult but we made it work. If you don't plan on spending too much time in your room, which I would not recommend while in Duluth, it is good for the price. Local bars are all within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This motel is right in town and a convenient location for a good price. Our standard king room was very clean, well furnished and surprisingly large. There's a nice rooftop patio area with tables and chairs that has a good view of Lake Superior. It's on a hill so the parking was opposit the third floor. That parking was limited and if it was full, a covered garage was on the other side of the driveway for additional free parking. It was convenient and well thought out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakeville, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Opened my door and was met with a smelly room and horse flies. I made my way across the filthy carpeting to the bathroom, & when I opened the shower door it almost fell off. The tile in the shower was stained and dirty. At this point there was no doubt I'd not be staying; thought I'd just peek at the bedding- looked like it had not be washed, but rather just pulled back and re-made. The overall interior was old, tired, and soiled. Back at the front desk I simply told the gal that "I can't stay here", and she credited my card. Immediately checked in at another hotel - granted for much more - and promptly washed my hands. Ish. Just tellin' it as I saw it.

Room Tip: To chose a good room book at another hotel/motel.