“Cheap & there's many reasons why!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Voyageur Lakewalk Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Duluth
Voyageur Lakewalk Inn
Superior St. and 4th Ave. E., Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #25 of 32 hotels in Duluth
East Bethel, Minnesota, United States
“Cheap & there's many reasons why!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I didn't have high expectations for this place but I was still extremely disappointed upon arrival. We had read online that most rooms were lake view rooms. This is false. Most are NOT. We had a ground level room & there was a woman that walked past our room a few times & would stop & glare in on us through the window, which was totally creepy. We had to keep the curtains drawn in an already dreary atmospere. The room smelled terrible & I could barely breathe. I had to wash all of my clothes twice when I got home to get the stench out of them. As we were getting ready to get out of there ASAP the next morning...We noticed a pile of either dog or cat food under the desk. We had brought neither. Which could only mean that the housekeeping definitley wasn't up to par. I don't even want to think about what was on the bedding. Also, the a/c unit was so loud that neither of us slept. It was a HUGE disappointment. Do not stay here! Cheap & there's a reason why!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night as part of a long cross-country trip. We had never been to Duluth, didn't expect much, but wanted to stay downtown rather than on a highway in case there might be something to see. The reviews of the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn were kind of all over the map. But on balance we were quite pleasantly surprised. Because we were on such a long trip, we had heavy suitcases. So we were delighted that they had parking on the upper level where our room was located in addition to their lower level parking. The room was small, but certainly adequate and reasonably priced, especially for a downtown location in a city. Best of all, it was within walking distance of downtown stores and restaurants and a great redeveloped waterfront area with lots to see and do. Our room actually had a water view. The A/C was kind of noisy and the curtains too thin to keep the sun from shining in in the morning. The "continental breakfast" was danish and coffee in the office. But we really didn't pay for more than that. The office staff was friendly and all in all the place exceeded our expectations for the price. The location was great, within walking distance of fancier hotels on the waterfront that probably cost a lot more. As for Duluth, it also exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place was nicely located in downtown Duluth, but the room wasn't what was expected. It seemed like it was a bit ancient and hadn't been updated since the 80's. The room smelled weird, and the shower was in definite need of upgrade. As my friends and I were there for a wedding, the only time we spent there was to sleep so it was fine. The hotel had great views of Lake Superior, with a deck overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: choosing a higher end room might be best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I prefer to shop local when we travel so were looking for somewhere to stay without a chain name. Our TripAdvisor search brought us to the Voyageur for a one-day stop in Duluth and we loved it. Smaller, old-fashioned motel was very clean and comfortable. While located right on Superior Street, the rooms were quiet and the glimpses of Lake Superior through the room window were an added bonus. We haven't been given an actual room key for years and loved the retro experience. Grabbed a cup of coffee from the office and headed up to the sundeck in the morning to watch the freighters thread their way into the harbor. It was an excellent stay and the staff was tremendous - extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Heard the suites are tremendous...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a clean less expensive alternative to the >$200 hotels in Canal Park. You will be within walking distance of Canal Park, the lakewalk, Fitzgers, and the Pickwick. We parked out truck and walked everywhere. No, it is not a 5 star hotel but it is a decent alternative. I did not feel like it was dirty or that I had to sleep in my clothes as another reviewer stated. We stayed two nights and had no trouble sleeping even with the road noise. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a south side, third floor room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed in a standard 2 full bed room. It was clean and quiet.
Nothing fancy, but a good place for a restful night.
Room did include a refrigerator.
Breakfast was a Danish and tea or coffee.

There are a few decks on the property with good views of Lake Superior. Our room had a partial view of the lake.

We had to climb a few flights of stairs to get the room from the office. I did not see an elevator.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shorewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I would return to the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn any time that I visit Duluth, but I would have to been in the same room I had this first visit. It was one of the pine rooms with a lake view, fireplace, hot tub, refrigerator and microwave. It was clean and cozy. Although some visitors might not like it, I enjoyed the glow of their neon sign, which served as a nightlight for me.

Room Tip: You must stay in one of their top rooms! Other customers complained of the noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Voyageur Lakewalk Inn? Share your experiences!